Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] F Tage Thompson signs extension with the Sabres (7 years, $7.14M AAV)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I mean Josh Norris has “one good season” too and got the same deal basically. This is the price you pay for a young core forward you want to get locked in for the long-term.

It’s a bit pedantic to say “well if he doesn’t keep up his play then this is gonna be a bad deal”. I mean…yeah, no duh. The bet the Sabres have made after watching him evolve from a baby giraffe to a legitimately front line forward with a great shot and huge size who can line up at center and wing and play on both special teams units is that, yeah, he’s a guy to bet on moving forward. There’s a lot to suggest this wasn’t a flukey season and that it was simply a player who was still in his growth curve and really started to take off the more responsibility that was loaded onto him. It’s a good sign.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
And is compensated with 50 million for 7 years after one tremendous season.

Again, if this is a steal than what is fair market in your eyes?
I didn't say it's a steal, but if he keeps scoring at that pace then it is undeniably. It's a gamble by Buffalo no doubt, but if last year is the norm he's easily worth 8.5 long term

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
What an atrocious f***ing deal wtf
20220830_183652.png

Attachments

• 20220830_183652.png
    20220830_183652.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 8

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
If you’re going to bet big, in both term and money on any type of player after a breakout season, it’s Thompson. Center, big body, great offensive abilities, and likely before his prime.

There’s obviously very real risk that goes along with the deal, but you take it if you’re the Sabres.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Always love to see these types of contracts. There's a definite risk and it'd be fun to see a big contract flop big but that said, I think this will be above Kevin Hayes' 7YR/$50M deal.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
The market has just been getting destroyed by these deals. Devils are going to have to pay something stupid for Jesper Bratt. Last year was an abnormal scoring year - 70 points are the equivalent of 60 points in years past.

Devils had a team where Mike Cammalleri and Lee Stempniak were flirting with PPG. Sometimes things really click for a year.

I don't see Tage Thompson as a candidate to exceed last year's production, so why not wait a little bit to see if he can repeat it before giving this kind of deal assuming it's the norm moving forward.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If he can continue to score 30+ goals a year he’ll it will be worth it. Nice deal for both sides. Not without risk but never bad to keep a guy who has produced for you.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad