Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals/Rumours '17 - '18 II (post 'em here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Nice to hear Bob McKenzie reiterate what a lot here has already said.:thumbu:

He stated how deep the prospect pool is and that all of them cant play for the Bruins and the Bruins are also loaded with all their picks except for a 5th this yr. He expects If the Bruins do make a move it will be for a younger player who can contribute now, as they have a lot of assets.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
MacKenzie during the first intermission of tonight's games against the habs talking about Max Pacioretty possbly being available. I don't tend to follow trade talk much, and apologies if this has been discussed, but would you mind seeing him in our top 6? $4.5mill or thereabouts. 30-goal scorer. On Krejci's wing?

Bruins don't trade with the habs that much, but it has happened.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
MacKenzie during the first intermission of tonight's games against the habs talking about Max Pacioretty possbly being available. I don't tend to follow trade talk much, and apologies if this has been discussed, but would you mind seeing him in our top 6? $4.5mill or thereabouts. 30-goal scorer. On Krejci's wing?

I think Patches makes way more than that. I've never minded him, but it will never happen.

Edit: You were right, only $4.5 million. Certainly appealing on that contract.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Im trying to think about younger available pieces that might be worth spending some of our capitol on. Realistically what available, gettable players is Sweeney possibly looking at?

Who fits that mold?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Is it bad that I don't like the idea? Makes sense, sure... But I'm biased. I just don't like the guy.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Im trying to think about younger available pieces that might be worth spending some of our capitol on. Realistically what available, gettable players is Sweeney possibly looking at?

Who fits that mold?

I was thinking either someone in Arizona like Domi, dvorak, or Fischer. Or in Detroit with Athanasiou, mantha, Larkin, or (a little older) nyquist.

Finding a D would be tougher but maybe Brodin, Haydn fleury, josh Manson, cam Fowler. Not sure though about availability on any of those guys.

Kind of fit the mold though

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
The most interesting part of what McKenzie said is that it appears the bruins have no interest in adding a veteran rental. They seem more inclined to add a piece to help for this season and subsequent seasons. So vanek, Vrbata, Neal, etc don’t appear to be in his plan for what he wants

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Is it bad that I don't like the idea? Makes sense, sure... But I'm biased. I just don't like the guy.

I’d think they could do better than him. Soft, lazy at times and not really a leader.

Of Course, I could be biased, as I can’t think of one current or former Hab I’d want on the Bruins.

Reactions: bbfan419

jdz

May 22, 2013
I’d think they could do better than him. Soft, lazy at times and not really a leader.

Of Course, I could be biased, as I can’t think of one current or former Hab I’d want on the Bruins.
We don't really need another leader. We have a good handful of them already.

I agree with you in that he is soft and lazy at times and he definitely isn't captain and probably not even A material, but he wouldn't have to be.

Not really advocating getting Max Pacioretty either though. I just think he will pile up the goals on a team where he doesn't have that extra captain responsibility and all that pressure on his shoulders.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
After some thought, I think the Bruins should go heavy after McDonagh first. If the rumors that the Rangers are in sell mode.

Young enough, will be entering his prime. Ideally won't be a rental, eventually usurping Chara on left, sooner than our prospects likely.

What will it take?

I agree. I proposed Krug + Zboril + 1st on the main board but I guess NY already had a purely offensive dman.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Lawrence, I say we DON'T load up on rentals and let the team experience the ride... even if it's disappointment. Let them learn and yearn.... aka 2010 led to 2011.
The long term yield with the kids is too good imo.

right there with you. Not that I want Sweeney to put his phone on mute but I don`t want to see him get sucked into moving a young kid on the roster who`s making an impact for a rental at all.

Now, that said, I have little issues if he uses a prospect in the system, maybe a Vatrano or Spoons to acquire a piece he feels the team needs. What that piece is right now I haven`t a clue

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
One other name I'd poke around to see if he's available is Jesse Puljujarvi. Fits our age class and I think he'd be a great RW for Krejci.
Wouldn't overpay but then again it's PC, he'd likely take Beleskey, McQuaid, and Dr Cross

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
We don't really need another leader. We have a good handful of them already.

I agree with you in that he is soft and lazy at times and he definitely isn't captain and probably not even A material, but he wouldn't have to be.

Not really advocating getting Max Pacioretty either though. I just think he will pile up the goals on a team where he doesn't have that extra captain responsibility and all that pressure on his shoulders.

Maybe. But there have to be guys with less questions about their character/effort out there.

jdz

May 22, 2013
Maybe. But there have to be guys with less questions about their character/effort out there.
Considering Evander Kane is being touted as one of the more sought-after deadline pieces, I'm not sure there are.

Teams will be bailing Bergevin up for Max Pacioretty trying to buy low on him. Not saying the Bruins should be one of those teams, but Max has serious upside as a sniper on a line that can do the dirty work and get him the puck. More upside than Evander f***ing Kane.

Reactions: Strafer

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Bruins and Canadiens haven’t made a trade since like 2001 and it was a nothing trade. Anything can happen but it makes no sense for either team to help their rival out.

I don’t want the bruins giving Montréal young assets with upside for a player like Pacioretty.

Reactions: bbfan419

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I'm of the mindset that this team really doesn't need to make a trade. We have depth all over the roster, and I think if this team is going to continue to improve, we should hang on to our young assets until potentially next year's deadline when they may be poised for a deeper run.

That being said, if we were to make a move this year, I think the biggest need is a RW. I think Krejci could move to Nash's spot centering Heinen and Backes, and we could move Spooner to center with DeBrusk on his LW, and try to bring in a veteran to play RW on that line. I was looking at the standings to see if there was anyone on a non-playoff team that could fit the bill. I thought at first, "Why not swing for the fences and try to get Corey Perry from the Ducks?" but there's no way that'll work under the cap. The next guy in line that I think makes sense would be Simmons from Philly. I think we definitely have the assets to get that done.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
Heinen-Krejci-Backes
DeBrusk-Spooner-Simmons
Schaller-Nash/Kuraly-Acciari

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
I know he is a Bruin killer, but I have this feeling that he would be a dud here. I really do.

Perhaps, but he is a rental and adds experience. My only issue right now is if a forward gets hurt in April, their depth isn't strong (all young kids, which I don't have an issue with, but at least have someone with experience waiting).

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
i will always remember an interview i saw with ron wilson. toronto was desperate for a center. the reporter asked wilson if kessel will play center? wilson made no effort to protect kessel. he said he asked kessel if kessel would be willing to pick up the centers responsibility to play defense. kessel said no

sometimes there is a reason coaches want to avoid throwing players into a situation they would fail at

for my money seguin couldnt carry bergeron or krejcis jock strap as far as 2way play goes. if he was still here he would still be a winger.

i mean mark messier and mats sundin spent their early years on wing too so its not like boston is the only team that wants its young offensive gifted kids to learn 2way play

You make it sound like there was a plan to let them adjust to the pro game and then transition the young guys over. Under Claude, Seguin would never have played center because Claude decided he wasn't comfortable enough with him there. That lack of at least being open to various options by Claude was the problem here. It was a constant of his tenure here. He wasn't open to offensive minded players in the lineup unless they were willing to learn and play a strict 2 way game. He wasn't open to players who'd been centers playing their natural positions because he didn't think they were strong enough defensively. Rather than adjust his system to fit the skill sets, he forced the players to change their games, which held their progression back, as evidenced by Kessel, Seguin, Wheeler, Hamilton, etc....

In terms of the now, realistically, I've seen enough of Nash to know that while he's having a good season, this is the outlier. Move on from him, slot Backes up with DK on the wing, and get Spooner playing center with DeBrusk and Bjork or Cehlarik. Either way, if I'm trading anyone, it's Nash plus an asset, and not any of the young guys or Spooner.

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
You seem to be of the belief that all shots are created equal. They're not. Years with Claude as the coach where the Bruins out shot their opponents by large margins but lost should have shown you that. In fact, 55-65 foot shots with no screen have very little chance of ever going in. The Bruins system under Cassisdy is similar to Claude's in that they force people out wide and make them shoot from low percentage places. Therefore your concern over being out shot and out chanced is largely unfounded, IMO.

Without getting into an endless hockey philosophy debate, I'll just say that I'm not saying all shots are created equally. Shot quality matters too. But Spooner has enough bad marks in his game and his on-ice results to be skeptical that he can turn it around and sustain what he's done so far this season.

You want to talk about a real concern, how about the entire team lacking the ability to clear the puck out of their own zone? Or the sheer number of last second goals they give up at the end of a period? Those are far more concerning that getting out shot.

We're concerned about the same things. If you're scrambly in your own zone and can't make a play to get the puck out, you're going to give up shots against. Can't score goals without getting shots off. Therefore, in the long run players who give up fewer shot attempts against tend to be more successful in terms of goals for %. That's why we see that GF% regresses towards CF%. Are there outliers? Sure. But I don't think Spooner is one of them.

Anyways, getting back to the topic at hand, I'd like to see the Bruins move on for Spooner. With the success he's had so far this season, I think they might be able to get something for him or include him as part of a package for a decent return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad