Boston Bruins Bruins Prospects Discussion IV - Mod warning 565

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm trying so hard not to get overly optimistic, fully realizing that not all these guys will hit....but man so many of these guys seem so close to being NHL ready, it blows my mind.

They already have 1 from each of the past 3 drafts

Just counting the 11 I listed here is my ETA to play regularly in NHL
Bjork 2017-18
DeBrusk 2017-18
Heinen 2017-18
JFK 2017-18
Zboril 2018-19
Frederic 2018-19
Gabrielle 2018-19
Senyshyn 2018-19
Lauzon 2018-19
Donato 2019-20
Lindgren 2020-21

Note

I had
Carlo 2017-18
McAvoy 2017-18

Pastrnak getting 22 goals this past year

I'm 0-3 but happy about it

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014

Bjork 2017-18
DeBrusk 2017-18
Heinen 2017-18
JFK 2017-18
Zboril 2018-19
Frederic 2018-19
Gabrielle 2018-19
Senyshyn 2018-19
Lauzon 2018-19
Donato 2019-20
Lindgren 2020-21

Note

I had
Carlo 2017-18
McAvoy 2017-18

I'd be surprised if Lindgren takes that long. I think you could see Zboril and Senyshyn this year, and maybe even Frederic. This bottom six is going to be loaded. Just need to find 1-2 top 6 guys.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
Johnny B's contract is too rich for our budget and his play has diminished. Snow would love to unload him. And, whom would you sit?.....McAvoy?...Carlo?

No , Just wouldn't make sense , plus it's getting away from Sweeney's longterm plan of getting really young. Johnny Rocket had his time in Boston, he's moved on, Bruins are moved on and he's just not a fit anymore, especially financially.

Damn, I'm 54 yrs old and have never been so excited for season to get going. Cant wait to see what kids take the ball and run, or takes puck and skates..Personally, I think this is great time to be a Bruin fan. We all had our concerns over DS and it got off to a rocky start but I think he has a plan and he's not shying away from it..

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
If there's enough negativity on the boards already, then why do you insist on putting the microscope on positive posts that happen to have criticism in them?

And I have ZERO issue with a positive review of a player. None whatsoever. I respect your opinion just as much as I do Bill's and if you see two different things, I find it interesting and I follow the conversation.

The issue I took, is that out of all the positive he had to say, you had to pick on the one thing he was disappointed with. And as part of your defense, you state your belief that Bill just has something personal against the kid. And if it was just the first time I caught it, I'd have let it be... But we both know it isn't.

When someone is absurdly positive or ludicrously negative, they deserved to be called out. The insane hyperbole... I can't stand it. But when that same philosophy is applied whenever a perceived slight is stated? I'm gonna take exception to that as well.

For the record, I have tons of respect for you and Glorydaze. But personally I think this is a time to be very optimistic as Bruin fans, When Sweeney 1st took over as GM, He had to fill PC's shoes, a gm that pretty much is just the opposite as Don. Right now, Bruins have somewhere around 13 million in cap space.. No doubt that'll decline bigtime with a Pastrnak signing.

But with Carlo and MacAvoy all set for 2017-18 and a pile of honest to goodness prospects knocking on doors at practically every position, what is there to be negative about. I'm not saying everything is roses, but without a doubt today and the future looks very promising to this longtime Bruin. With the windows beginning to close on some veterans career, it's great to see promising prospects ready to step in. Chara's declining as you would expect but then we have Carlo and MacAvoy rearing to go, Zboril, O'Gara getting very close. Then up front, we have young guns everywhere, REALLY GOOD PROSPECTS,

Considering where Bruins are ranked in their talent pool should be another indication as to why we're gonna be good for a long time. Haha I refuse to think any other way!!

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA

Bjork 2017-18
DeBrusk 2017-18
Heinen 2017-18
JFK 2017-18
Zboril 2018-19
Frederic 2018-19
Gabrielle 2018-19
Senyshyn 2018-19
Lauzon 2018-19
Donato 2019-20
Lindgren 2020-21

Note

I had
Carlo 2017-18
McAvoy 2017-18

I'd agree with this timeline though I'd add O'Gara to 2017-18. I think the Bruins will trade one of their RD (probably McQuaid) and O'Gara will be either the 6th or 7th dman.

WesternHockeyScout

Apr 29, 2011
I wanted Konecny but Dom told me don't even bother wasting your time on him for Boston:(

I'm at the point where my view on

Barzal, Connor, DeBrusk, Chabot, Zboril, Senyshyn, White, Konecny is all around the same litter......no one including Konecny is that much of a cant miss

The Bruins guys are all moving along well in my world:laugh:

The Providence home opener is Saturday October 7th (yay Saturday!!!!) so should be exciting time to watch all these Providence prospects who likely will be playing down there to start (Gabrielle, Senyshyn, Zboril, Lauzon, maybe JFK? DeBrusk? doubt it)

the 2015 draft could have

Zboril- start in Providence
DeBrush- I'm going Boston he was really NHLish-looking in my April viewing
Senyshyn- start in Providence
Carlo-Boston
JFK- worst case Providence to start
Lauzon- Providence
Gabrielle- start in Providence

the 2014 draft

Pastrnak- Boston
Donato- Harvard but likely Hobey Baker candidate
Heinen- going with Boston, was very good in AHL playoffs
Bjork- Boston

the 2016 draft

McAvoy- Boston
Frederic- see you in April in Boston
Lindgren- will be one of best defenseman in college hockey with NHL game, also like Frederic a true 18 freshman in college hockey which is a rarity these days

looooaded

Bostons amateur scouts don't get near enough credit outside of Boston. They have been absolutely brilliant in recent years.

The 2016 draft was absolutely exceptional considering where they picked. McAvoy at that spot was a steal. The Frederic pick is looking like pure genious. Lindgren is a stud.

In 2014 they got the steal of the draft in Pasternak. Now looking at guys like Donato, Bjork and even Cehlarik are looking like highway robbery.

The 2015 draft was stacked 150 prospects deep (think about guys like Bear, Joseph, Hobbs, Jones going where they did). The jury is still out on the 2015 draft class in Boston, but it's looking like they might have knocked this out of the park in historic proportions. Carlo might just be the tip of the ice burg here.

For all the crap they have taken at the draft for their picks he last few years, it looks like they are trending towards the last laugh. At the end of the day, they seem to be the team without a top 2 pick who's had the most draft success in recent year.

There will be an all-you-can-eat buffet of humble pie, feet and craw once the dust settles on these drafts. Most of the media and all of the "experts" will be invited. Bone appetite!

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bostons amateur scouts don't get near enough credit outside of Boston. They have been absolutely brilliant in recent years.

The 2016 draft was absolutely exceptional considering where they picked. McAvoy at that spot was a steal. The Frederic pick is looking like pure genious. Lindgren is a stud.

In 2014 they got the steal of the draft in Pasternak. Now looking at guys like Donato, Bjork and even Cehlarik are looking like highway robbery.

The 2015 draft was stacked 150 prospects deep (think about guys like Bear, Joseph, Hobbs, Jones going where they did). The jury is still out on the 2015 draft class in Boston, but it's looking like they might have knocked this out of the park in historic proportions. Carlo might just be the tip of the ice burg here.

For all the crap they have taken at the draft for their picks he last few years, it looks like they are trending towards the last laugh. At the end of the day, they seem to be the team without a top 2 pick who's had the most draft success in recent year.

There will be an all-you-can-eat buffet of humble pie, feet and craw once the dust settles on these drafts. Most of the media and all of the "experts" will be invited. Bone appetite!

Thank you. I appreciate you commenting on this subject

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
For the record, I have tons of respect for you and Glorydaze. But personally I think this is a time to be very optimistic as Bruin fans, When Sweeney 1st took over as GM, He had to fill PC's shoes, a gm that pretty much is just the opposite as Don. Right now, Bruins have somewhere around 13 million in cap space.. No doubt that'll decline bigtime with a Pastrnak signing.

But with Carlo and MacAvoy all set for 2017-18 and a pile of honest to goodness prospects knocking on doors at practically every position, what is there to be negative about. I'm not saying everything is roses, but without a doubt today and the future looks very promising to this longtime Bruin. With the windows beginning to close on some veterans career, it's great to see promising prospects ready to step in. Chara's declining as you would expect but then we have Carlo and MacAvoy rearing to go, Zboril, O'Gara getting very close. Then up front, we have young guns everywhere, REALLY GOOD PROSPECTS,

Considering where Bruins are ranked in their talent pool should be another indication as to why we're gonna be good for a long time. Haha I refuse to think any other way!!

Good post. Here is what people are missing IMO.

In Chia's entire tenure here, he had 12 picks in the top 53. That's in 8 drafts. 21 picks total in the top 105 players taken.

In Sweeney's three seasons thus far. He has had 11 picks top 53 already, and 13 picks top 105.

That's a huge difference maker when it comes to the draft. Far more premium picks which breeds far more optimism.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
Good post. Here is what people are missing IMO.

In Chia's entire tenure here, he had 12 picks in the top 53. That's in 8 drafts. 21 picks total in the top 105 players taken.

In Sweeney's three seasons thus far. He has had 11 picks top 53 already, and 13 picks top 105.

That's a huge difference maker when it comes to the draft. Far more premium picks which breeds far more optimism.

I think results are just as important and reflective in that comparison though.

If you exclude the 2006 and 2014 drafts (since it's highly debatable how much input Chiarelli had on either) as well as the two top-10 picks which were basically no-brainers, Chiarelli only had 4 picks that turned into legitimate NHL players (~ a season's worth of GP, not actively bouncing between the AHL and NHL): Colborne, Hutchinson, Spooner and Benning. Of those 4 picks, 3 never played a game for the Bruins...Spooner is the only one, and even he hasn't really locked down a job here.

Comparatively, Sweeney has already matched that with Carlo, and it's not a stretch to say McAvoy is a lock as an NHLer at worst in the near future. It took him a single year to draft an every day, NHL caliber player for this team...something Chiarelli didn't do in his entire tenure.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
I think results are just as important and reflective in that comparison though.

If you exclude the 2006 and 2014 drafts (since it's highly debatable how much input Chiarelli had on either) as well as the two top-10 picks which were basically no-brainers, Chiarelli only had 4 picks that turned into legitimate NHL players (~ a season's worth of GP, not actively bouncing between the AHL and NHL): Colborne, Hutchinson, Spooner and Benning. Of those 4 picks, 3 never played a game for the Bruins...Spooner is the only one, and even he hasn't really locked down a job here.

Comparatively, Sweeney has already matched that with Carlo, and it's not a stretch to say McAvoy is a lock as an NHLer at worst in the near future. It took him a single year to draft an every day, NHL caliber player for this team...something Chiarelli didn't do in his entire tenure.

Yeah I mean if you exclude all the good picks Chiarelli made I guess you're left with not a lot? Not sure about that logic. Remember, Sweeney gutted a team by trading 2 elite pieces for mass amounts of picks, which he ended up using on project players instead of value to have ammunition to make deals- which was a mistake with the aging core they have btw but that's another asset mismanagement story. If he only hits on Carlo/McAvoy, that's a complete failure and he won't be the GM in 2019. He actually set the bar very high with what has to pan out with these players especially by refusing to improve the team through free agency or trade.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah I mean if you exclude all the good picks Chiarelli made I guess you're left with not a lot? Not sure about that logic. Remember, Sweeney gutted a team by trading 2 elite pieces for mass amounts of picks, which he ended up using on project players instead of value to have ammunition to make deals- which was a mistake with the aging core they have btw but that's another asset mismanagement story. If he only hits on Carlo/McAvoy, that's a complete failure and he won't be the GM in 2019. He actually set the bar very high with what has to pan out with these players especially by refusing to improve the team through free agency or trade.

Lucic & Hamilton netted

Kuraly
Frederic
Zboril
Colin Miller
JFK
Lauzon
Senyshyn

You keep saying the same BS

You should cut your losses

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Lucic & Hamilton netted

Kuraly
Frederic
Zboril
Colin Miller
JFK
Lauzon
Senyshyn

You keep saying the same BS

You should cut your losses

I mean that group has combined for 9 goals and 21 assists and the guy that has 9 and 20 of those assists is no longer on the team. I would much rather have that group of guys going forward, but they still have a lot to prove before we declare it to be a successful trade. Dougie made some really nice progress and is a part of a very good defense in Calgary.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA

I didn't exclude them just because they were good picks, I excluded them because there's plenty of evidence Chiarelli either wasn't involved in making the picks, or in the case of Seguin/Dougie, they were lay up picks that every GM or even fan would have made in the same position. Chiarelli gets all the credit for how well that Kessel trade worked out for the team, but from a drafting standpoint, sorry he doesn't get any credit for picking Seguin 2nd overall that year.

It's laughable calling either Lucic or Hamilton elite, unless you meant Martin Jones in which case maybe you're right. Not to turn this into yet another GM evaluation thread, but Sweeney took two pieces from a declining team that they didn't feel they could keep (Lucic for money purposes, Dougie because he didn't want to be here) and immediately re-stocked the Bruins prospect pool for years to come in order to rebuild on the fly. Obviously down the line if ALL he gets from it on the NHL-side is Carlo and McAvoy that'll be an issue, but I highly doubt that and it's way too early to judge him on that front anyways. I think you're right in that by 2019/20 we'll have a much clearer picture on how Sweeney is working out as a GM.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
I didn't exclude them just because they were good picks, I excluded them because there's plenty of evidence Chiarelli either wasn't involved in making the picks, or in the case of Seguin/Dougie, they were lay up picks that every GM or even fan would have made in the same position. Chiarelli gets all the credit for how well that Kessel trade worked out for the team, but from a drafting standpoint, sorry he doesn't get any credit for picking Seguin 2nd overall that year.

It's laughable calling either Lucic or Hamilton elite, unless you meant Martin Jones in which case maybe you're right. Not to turn this into yet another GM evaluation thread, but Sweeney took two pieces from a declining team that they didn't feel they could keep (Lucic for money purposes, Dougie because he didn't want to be here) and immediately re-stocked the Bruins prospect pool for years to come in order to rebuild on the fly. Obviously down the line if ALL he gets from it on the NHL-side is Carlo and McAvoy that'll be an issue, but I highly doubt that and it's way too early to judge him on that front anyways. I think you're right in that by 2019/20 we'll have a much clearer picture on how Sweeney is working out as a GM.

He got rid of Lucic for money purposes then gave even older less effective player virtually the same money, was definitely a good call:amazed:. Hamilton situation went way to long unaddressed and again he put himself in a bad spot, he did get good value for him but then squandered it. Also he is definitely an elite young defenseman, anything else is sour grapes(I remember the raving that went on for years about him on this forum).

Secondly he restocked it with picks that only have value to the Bruins. For example Debrusk and Zboril have no value versus a guy like Barzal or Connor who were that day and right now the better picks no matter how attached some of you guys have become. He did not draft bpa or for max value to have equity to make moves which is what you should have done if you were "re-tooling".

As of right now Sweeney has done nothing to make this team better in the immediate future when he knew he had an aging core. By now the cup window is closed. Wasted time. Needs way to many picks to pan out and things ot go right for anything to happen in the next 3-4 years. Bergeron and Krejci pretty past their prime by then, Krug lost to UFA most likely etc. You cannot build a team solely by stockpiling picks.

The whole concept of rebuilding on the fly does not work and is inherently illogical when you already had an elite core.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He got rid of Lucic for money purposes then gave even older less effective player virtually the same money, was definitely a good call:amazed:. Hamilton situation went way to long unaddressed and again he put himself in a bad spot, he did get good value for him but then squandered it. Also he is definitely an elite young defenseman, anything else is sour grapes(I remember the raving that went on for years about him on this forum).

Secondly he restocked it with picks that only have value to the Bruins. For example Debrusk and Zboril have no value versus a guy like Barzal or Connor who were that day and right now the better picks no matter how attached some of you guys have become. He did not draft bpa or for max value to have equity to make moves which is what you should have done if you were "re-tooling".

As of right now Sweeney has done nothing to make this team better in the immediate future when he knew he had an aging core. By now the cup window is closed. Wasted time. Needs way to many picks to pan out and things ot go right for anything to happen in the next 3-4 years. Bergeron and Krejci pretty past their prime by then, Krug lost to UFA most likely etc. You cannot build a team solely by stockpiling picks.

The whole concept of rebuilding on the fly does not work and is inherently illogical when you already had an elite core.
It's ok to change your mind it's a sign of flexibility and strength.

Just researching your posts from last summer it's interesting you modified your argument but not your position

I love it though I can't wait to see your position in July 2018

We will accept you into the Sweeney Fan Club with a button, autographed photo of Don in a 1890 Bruins uniform, and the video snipet from 'Behind the B' where on the draft floor at the 2014 NHL Draft a calm Sweeney tells a nervous Chiarelli 'don't worry Pastrnak will be there' when they pick ~ it's clear Chiarelli wanted to move up and considering the 3 other picks that year were used on Donato, Heinen, and Bjork probably well they didn't

If you are ready to leave the Fiji Islands and join Bruins Civilization let us know

If not I can't wait for your Summer 2018 assessment on Sweeney

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Bjork 2017-18
DeBrusk 2017-18
Heinen 2017-18
JFK 2017-18
Zboril 2018-19
Frederic 2018-19
Gabrielle 2018-19
Senyshyn 2018-19
Lauzon 2018-19
Donato 2019-20
Lindgren 2020-21

Note

I had
Carlo 2017-18
McAvoy 2017-18

those are good things to go 0-3 on

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA

I don't at all disagree that the Backes signing wasn't optimal, but it wasn't in a bubble. Sweeney took Lucic and eventually turned him into Backes, Miller, Kuraly and Frederic (even though the space used was really from letting Eriksson walk)...that's still a win value-wise. I don't know how the Hamilton situation "went way too long unaddressed," as from the impression I got it only became evident during negotiations leading up to the draft that he didn't want to be here. And there were absolutely discussions about him potentially being an elite prospect when he was here, but that was years ago...he's certainly a good player now, but he's come no where close to showing he's elite like many thought he could be.

I have disagreed with people's take on Barzal and Connor since the draft and I will continue to until any of them prove otherwise. There is virtually nothing that shows they've ever been any more valuable than DeBrusk/Zboril, and I don't believe they are today either. BPA is different for literally every team at every position, as are the players teams believe have the max value, so that statement is meaningless...I firmly believe (at least with DeBrusk, Zboril was more a need-based pick) that Sweeney picked the players he believed would be the best pro's.

As for the rest, I fundamentally disagree but that isn't really a discussion for the Prospects thread. All I'll say is the worst mistake this team ever made was locking themselves into the entirely wrong "cup window" and I'm very happy Sweeney is not making the same mistake. It remains to be seen how well these picks will turn out, but should they continue to progress the way they have been, Sweeney will be the poster-boy for successfully pulling off an on-the-fly rebuild.

Last edited:

tremha

Mar 9, 2011

agree with you on all but 2015. Carlo yes. the 3 firsts the jury is out and they have lagged versus Barzal, Koenecky, and Chabot among others who were available and ranked higher than who the Bruins tood.

PacificNWBruin

Apr 23, 2015
Netherlands
agree with you on all but 2015. Carlo yes. the 3 firsts the jury is out and they have lagged versus Barzal, Koenecky, and Chabot among others who were available and ranked higher than who the Bruins tood.

They've only lagged behind Konecny. Chabot and Barzal are also trying to break into the league at the same time as Zboril, Debrusk and Senyshyn. That's not lagging behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad