Boston Bruins Bruins Prospects Discussion IV - Mod warning 565

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
agree with you on all but 2015. Carlo yes. the 3 firsts the jury is out and they have lagged versus Barzal, Koenecky, and Chabot among others who were available and ranked higher than who the Bruins tood.

I find it frustrating when fans try to say there is certainty over which ahl kid will be better

You still cant get people to agree who is better between gretzky and orr... Lemieux and howe... Bourque and coffey... Roy and hasek... And all these players are retired after full hall of fame careers

Ultimately some kids might fail... But lets wait for them to fail before we try to rank their career worthyness of their draft position and their speed to making the big show

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I find it frustrating when fans try to say there is certainty over which ahl kid will be better

You still cant get people to agree who is better between gretzky and orr... Lemieux and howe... Bourque and coffey... Roy and hasek... And all these players are retired after full hall of fame careers

Ultimately some kids might fail... But lets wait for them to fail before we try to rank their career worthyness of their draft position and their speed to making the big show

That's not to difficult for me.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland

What he said!! Don't everyone know that Bobby Orr is the best ever?? How slow are some people? Lol, great post my friend!!

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Bostons amateur scouts don't get near enough credit outside of Boston. They have been absolutely brilliant in recent years.

The 2016 draft was absolutely exceptional considering where they picked. McAvoy at that spot was a steal. The Frederic pick is looking like pure genious. Lindgren is a stud.

In 2014 they got the steal of the draft in Pasternak. Now looking at guys like Donato, Bjork and even Cehlarik are looking like highway robbery.

The 2015 draft was stacked 150 prospects deep (think about guys like Bear, Joseph, Hobbs, Jones going where they did). The jury is still out on the 2015 draft class in Boston, but it's looking like they might have knocked this out of the park in historic proportions. Carlo might just be the tip of the ice burg here.

For all the crap they have taken at the draft for their picks he last few years, it looks like they are trending towards the last laugh. At the end of the day, they seem to be the team without a top 2 pick who's had the most draft success in recent year.

There will be an all-you-can-eat buffet of humble pie, feet and craw once the dust settles on these drafts. Most of the media and all of the "experts" will be invited. Bone appetite!

Here are a few of the writers who'll be divulging at the buffet.;) May James O'Brien enjoy the crow! (Boston still hasn’t acquired the “transitional” defenseman it craves.) Really James???

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...results-biggest-winners-and-losers-of-round-1

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/06/27/winners-and-losers-of-the-2015-nhl-draft/

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/2015-nhl-draft-winners-and-losers-from-the-first-round/

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/125799/2015-nhl-draft-winner-losers-weekends-draft/2/

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/756703

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-moments-connor-mcdavid-jack-eichel/29380869/

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/new...rome-penguins-maple-leafs/1qa3gbsy6q8uu1qspro

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/06/25/losers-of-the-2016-nhl-draft/

Last edited:

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
agree with you on all but 2015. Carlo yes. the 3 firsts the jury is out and they have lagged versus Barzal, Koenecky, and Chabot among others who were available and ranked higher than who the Bruins tood.

In what way have they lagged behind?? The only guy who played in the NHL is Koencky who scored 11 goals and 28 points... Not bad not great either... Chabot hasn't done anything at the NHL level and neither has Barzal... How are they behind??

Secondly what would make them behind?? Goals?? Points?? If Chabot is better offensively but Zboril is better Defensively is one ahead of the either?? How do you gauge anyone is ahead of anyone?? What are your standards??

ickie*

Jun 18, 2017
if debrusk got 70 games in the nhl last season, i bet you he would have had more than 11 goals.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

Let's not rewrite history to say Chabot was ranked above Zboril

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
He was but it was very close between the two. At the time Zboril pick made by far the most sense of all the 1st rounders.

That obviously depends where you look, but it is a bit revisionist.

NHL's CSS had Zboril 12th vs Chabot 16th.
Bob McKenzie had Zboril at 14 and Chabot all the way down at 25, behind Carlo actually.
Red Line did have him ahead, but had both down in the 20s (21 vs Zboril's 27)...they also had Jeremy Roy (first pick of the 2nd round) ahead of Werenski, and interestingly had DeBrusk ahead of Connor.

It just goes to show that these picks and predictions from everyone are all a crap shoot until any of them actually prove they deserve anything. Zboril was the only one picked remotely where he was projected, and he's probably the one most fans are least confident about at this point.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
That obviously depends where you look, but it is a bit revisionist.

NHL's CSS had Zboril 12th vs Chabot 16th.
Bob McKenzie had Zboril at 14 and Chabot all the way down at 25, behind Carlo actually.
Red Line did have him ahead, but had both down in the 20s (21 vs Zboril's 27)...they also had Jeremy Roy (first pick of the 2nd round) ahead of Werenski, and interestingly had DeBrusk ahead of Connor.

It just goes to show that these picks and predictions from everyone are all a crap shoot until any of them actually prove they deserve anything. Zboril was the only one picked remotely where he was projected, and he's probably the one most fans are least confident about at this point.

Yes, Zboril was the logical pick at #13. There were no raised eyebrows with that one. He was the best defenseman remaining at that spot and Boston needed to draft one. The questionable picks were Debrusk and Senyshyn, but I'm hopeful that they will turn out great so that we don't think about what could have been (i.e., Connor, Barzal, Konecny, Broeser, White...).

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
I dont know how people can say Barzal has had a better start than DeBrusk, he played 2 NHL games and had 0 points and was a minus 2. Yet to play an AHL game. If anything they're level or DeBrusk is slightly ahead which a lot more big boy experience. Nothing against Barzal but man the posters here who will not shut up about him not being drafted is making me resent the kid. Just stop its been 2 ****ing years.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Johnny B's contract is too rich for our budget and his play has diminished. Snow would love to unload him.

I enjoyed JB as a player, but even if NYI were to retain 50%, I wouldn't touch him. That's 5 more seasons for a guy who probably best fits as a 3rd pairing guy today, and is getting old

What makes you guys think this way on Boychuk?

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
if debrusk got 70 games in the nhl last season, i bet you he would have had more than 11 goals.

I would not agree with you based on last season . He took a couple of months to really get a feel for the pro game. Now however, I think he is ready to go and ready to step into a NHL job and contribute.

After March he was fun to watch, at times dominating the play. It was a lot of fun watching him mature in Providence last season.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
They've only lagged behind Konecny. Chabot and Barzal are also trying to break into the league at the same time as Zboril, Debrusk and Senyshyn. That's not lagging behind.

Konecny started off hot ( 7 points in 10 games ) but really struggled down the stretch ( 6 points in the last 20 games ) and saw his ice time get reduced dramatically from where it was from the first 2/3rds of the year. It's to be expected from a rookie, hell, we saw Carlo suffer from his own rookie doldrums in the middle portion of the season.

I can't wait to see what DeBrusk can do. I think he's going to make a statement in camp and crack the roster on opening night.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Seemingly every season I read on these forums about how good this kid is or how well he does at development camp.

What are the actual expectations of him now that he's nearing his end in Harvard? Could he actually crack the lineup straight out of NCAA or will he need to play some AHL seasons first?

I wonder if he's very close to making it if the Bruins would consider him as the likely Spooner replacement moving forward, assuming they take Spooner for 1 year through arbitration.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere

Also:

Ryan Donato is committed to eventually signing with the Boston Bruins even though the option to simply wait until he becomes an unrestricted free agent prospect exists.

Donato was taken with the 56th overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft by Boston, but he's been playing with Harvard University and he will return to school for his junior season. He's excelled in the NCAA with 21 goals and 40 points in 36 contests in 2016-17, so if he did wait until he was a UFA before signing he would likely have several teams go after him. He's the son of Ted Donato though, a former Boston Bruins player who is now also the Harvard coach, and Ryan Donato has expressed loyalty to the Bruins. "I understand [the Vesey option], but I don’t think it’s applicable to me in my situation," Donato said. "Growing up in Boston I’ve always been a Bruins fan, and I’ve been very happy and fortunate to a part of this [organization] and hopefully I can be for a while. Obviously, I had loyalty even before given that I was a fan, but you really feel like you do owe the organization something after they’ve drafted you."
Source: CSN New England

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Also:

Ryan Donato is committed to eventually signing with the Boston Bruins even though the option to simply wait until he becomes an unrestricted free agent prospect exists.

Donato was taken with the 56th overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft by Boston, but he's been playing with Harvard University and he will return to school for his junior season. He's excelled in the NCAA with 21 goals and 40 points in 36 contests in 2016-17, so if he did wait until he was a UFA before signing he would likely have several teams go after him. He's the son of Ted Donato though, a former Boston Bruins player who is now also the Harvard coach, and Ryan Donato has expressed loyalty to the Bruins. "I understand [the Vesey option], but I don’t think it’s applicable to me in my situation," Donato said. "Growing up in Boston I’ve always been a Bruins fan, and I’ve been very happy and fortunate to a part of this [organization] and hopefully I can be for a while. Obviously, I had loyalty even before given that I was a fan, but you really feel like you do owe the organization something after they’ve drafted you."
Source: CSN New England

He's no Jimmy Vesey that's for sure.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Seemingly every season I read on these forums about how good this kid is or how well he does at development camp.

What are the actual expectations of him now that he's nearing his end in Harvard? Could he actually crack the lineup straight out of NCAA or will he need to play some AHL seasons first?

I wonder if he's very close to making it if the Bruins would consider him as the likely Spooner replacement moving forward, assuming they take Spooner for 1 year through arbitration.

Supposedly he's going to play center this year, which I think is outstanding. His two way ability would be perfect for 3rd line center.

Him and JFK in the fold is great. Center hasn't been a position of organizational strength in recent years. Feels good to have two six/nine prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad