Boston Bruins Bruins Prospects Discussion IV - Mod warning 565

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
What are the main reasons that Subban didn't translate here? I mean, he is absolutely lights out this year. He is shutting out freakin' Nashville in the second period as I type this. That's outrageous. What a miss by the Bruins. What does the Vegas goalie coach do that Bob Essensa didn't do in the past five years? This has to reflect poorly on him. And I don't believe that MacIntyre is having a great season either. Maybe time for a new voice as goalie coach?

Honestly I don' know. The way Subban is playing surprises me. I saw him at camps and was always impressed with his agility and athleticism but he was very inconsistent in Providence. He really struggled in the NHL here. How could you look at that body of work and think he'd immediately be a player?

Well, as Dom said, there was someone in Nashville who knew exactly what was wrong and how to fix it because like you said, he's lights out right now. That to me suggests there's an issue with the goalie coaching. McIntyre looked amazing in Providence last year. He struggled in the NHL but that's to be expected of a rookie. Still, I fully expected him to use those experiences and the confidence he got from dominating the AHL to come into camp and really push Dobby for the backup job. Heck, I thought he'd have the backup job by the end of the year. Unfortunately, it looks like all he's done is regress.

The Bruins have done a lot of really great work drafting and developing so this isn't me slamming the organization... I'm just saying, their goalie development seems to be an area that's failing. I hope they sort it out soon, I'd like to see McIntyre backing up Rask next year and it looks like this Swayman kid could be the real deal.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Honestly I don' know. The way Subban is playing surprises me. I saw him at camps and was always impressed with his agility and athleticism but he was very inconsistent in Providence. He really struggled in the NHL here. How could you look at that body of work and think he'd immediately be a player?

Well, as Dom said, there was someone in Nashville who knew exactly what was wrong and how to fix it because like you said, he's lights out right now. That to me suggests there's an issue with the goalie coaching. McIntyre looked amazing in Providence last year. He struggled in the NHL but that's to be expected of a rookie. Still, I fully expected him to use those experiences and the confidence he got from dominating the AHL to come into camp and really push Dobby for the backup job. Heck, I thought he'd have the backup job by the end of the year. Unfortunately, it looks like all he's done is regress.

The Bruins have done a lot of really great work drafting and developing so this isn't me slamming the organization... I'm just saying, their goalie development seems to be an area that's failing. I hope they sort it out soon, I'd like to see McIntyre backing up Rask next year and it looks like this Swayman kid could be the real deal.
Subban did progress while in Providence, but that injury he suffered his 3rd year in Providence really set him back. The 2nd callup Subban had there was no reason to expect him to win, he had yet to get a win in the AHL at that point and had brutal numbers as he was trying to find his game. He was playing much better at the end of the season, it was just a point where Mcintyre was also lights out while he was playing and Khudobin was finding his game in the NHL. Subban ended up in kind of a weird spot where he may be ready for the team but there was no way to know with so little time in the NHL.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Subban did progress while in Providence, but that injury he suffered his 3rd year in Providence really set him back. The 2nd callup Subban had there was no reason to expect him to win, he had yet to get a win in the AHL at that point and had brutal numbers as he was trying to find his game. He was playing much better at the end of the season, it was just a point where Mcintyre was also lights out while he was playing and Khudobin was finding his game in the NHL. Subban ended up in kind of a weird spot where he may be ready for the team but there was no way to know with so little time in the NHL.
Panicky Clode had something to do with it. Picking games at the wrong time.

BigBadBruin

Aug 21, 2002
Saskatoon
Oshawa General and Jack Studnicka are playing this afternoon on Sportsnet in Canada. Start time is 3:30 Eastern, I believe, right after the Detroit/St. Louis game.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

It's really hard to imagine such a quick turnaround or that a coach can have that much of an effect on him so quickly.

Now, I've always believed in him and even until the last day in Boston said that he can still be a number one goaltender in the NHL and that his problem was in his head. I know he had the talent and I know he had the determination and that he would bounce back. Ask @DKH I am not surprised in the least, even this quickly.

I would love to know exactly what was said to him though that had such an immediate impact. Sometimes that's all it takes.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006

McIntyre is 8-4-1 for the season. He's had a few bad games that have messed up his statistics.

He has won his last 3 games (including a shootout) and his stats have been really good, stopping 87 of 93 shots for a .935 save %.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
McIntyre is 8-4-1 for the season. He's had a few bad games that have messed up his statistics.

He has won his last 3 games (including a shootout) and his stats have been really good, stopping 87 of 93 shots for a .935 save %.

It must have been more than few bad games for him to still only be at .902 on the season. I am glad to hear he's on a hot run. Hopefully he can keep it going. I had high hopes for him coming into this season.

Edit: Looking at the game logs, it looks like he's had 5 tough outings in 13. 1 early and then a stretch of 4 games in 5 where he let in 21 goals in those 4 games.

What's amazing is that he seems to either stop everything or nothing. In the other 8 games, he's over .929 seven times including two that were in the .960 range. The one game in 8 that he's not over .929 he had a .917. So it really is a case of him either being really on or really off.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It's really hard to imagine such a quick turnaround or that a coach can have that much of an effect on him so quickly.

Now, I've always believed in him and even until the last day in Boston said that he can still be a number one goaltender in the NHL and that his problem was in his head. I know he had the talent and I know he had the determination and that he would bounce back. Ask @DKH I am not surprised in the least, even this quickly.

I would love to know exactly what was said to him though that had such an immediate impact. Sometimes that's all it takes.
Yah we talked before he left

You spoke to someone very close to him this summer who said to watch him - you told me previously you thought he had the skills to do this

I sat in row 1 behind him against Chicago in preseason and you called me and told me tell me how he's looking

His technique shocked me - the takeaway was calmness both in movement during action and demeanor

What wrapped it all in a bow was he added ridiculous athleticism when things got really scrambly and the Hawks had multiple rebounds

If I fast forward 10 years and see he's got over 250 career wins I will not be surprised

I expect a thread on him here in 3 years bitching Sweeney screwed up letting him go

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Puck drop is 4:05. Pregame is at 3:40.

I am told Keyser (the forgotten guy) won't be playing. Has been out since November 5th with a concussion.

Must have started before this? I just tuned in and it’s 3-0 Barrie with 8 minutes to go in the first.

Cole Ceci (spelling?) just let in an awful goal and got pulled. Keyser in.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Got a chance to watch Khokhlachev today in a 8-2 win over Slovan and while there are rumors he might come back and play for us I thought I could post it here. While Khokhlachev scored 3 points, they were all second assists on the power play and weren't great plays I'd say. He had a good game and I think he can be an NHL player, but I am not convinced he is better than DeBrusk, Bjork, or Heinen at this point.

Reactions: Blowfish

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Got a chance to watch Khokhlachev today in a 8-2 win over Slovan and while there are rumors he might come back and play for us I thought I could post it here. While Khokhlachev scored 3 points, they were all second assists on the power play and weren't great plays I'd say. He had a good game and I think he can be an NHL player, but I am not convinced he is better than DeBrusk, Bjork, or Heinen at this point.

Thanks for posting. :) I've been a fan and always felt he had the short end of the stick with Claude. I believe he and Cassidy had good chemistry. Doubt he returns but with Cassidy who knows. Too many Assets are a good thing.

PacificNWBruin

Apr 23, 2015
Netherlands
Studnicka looked good up until he got ejected for apparently some choice words for the refs? He was giving tucker some small elbows to the head while being pinned on the boards. Can’t be the reason he got ejected alone.

Reactions: bryson21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad