GDT: Bruins @ Hawks 7:30 ESPN 10/24/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
What an ugly game. Bedard has a long way to go and that's fine. Vlasic continues to be decent.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I knew my feelings were irrational/illogical. That's why I asked everyone to talk me off the ledge.

I'm embarrassed about ever posting it. Should have kept it to myself.

Move along.
The thing about Bedard, and how you kind of know he'll be a special offensive player, is he's put up solid numbers on a terrible team and kind of been inconsistent imo, we have yet to see his full 60 minute A game imo, but even with his C/B game he still puts up points and he just turned 18 a few months ago...That's the Kane trait where you say man he wasn't good or he was inconsistent last games but somehow he still collected multiple points and contributed far above league average, it will probably be the same deal with Bedard

Reactions: Muffinalt

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Bedard is going to be fine offensively. Hes going to be a 90-100point guy. The thing I am worried about is his lack of effort on the boards. I dont know if hes just that physically overmatched right now or the compete for that part of the game isnt there (yet?)

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Never thought I would think this at this point but having Toews and Kane right now would be pretty helpful. Toews to just win a few draws, some board battles, and settle everything down a bit down the middle. Kane to pair with either Reichel or Bedard to give them some time and puck possession.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Bedard approaching 1/10th of the season is looking more like rookie Jack Hughes than rookie Austin Mathews or Conner McDavid. I'll agree with the tough schedule, snake bit, very little to play with, but I am also suspecting it may take a season or two to get to the elite superstar level (unrealistic out of the gate) expectations.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Bedard approaching 1/10th of the season is looking more like rookie Jack Hughes than rookie Austin Mathews or Conner McDavid. I'll agree with the tough schedule, snake bit, very little to play with, but I am also suspecting it may take a season or two to get to the elite superstar level (unrealistic out of the gate) expectations.

Bedard is on pace for double the production of Hughes rookie season.

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
Bedard is on pace for double the production of Hughes rookie season.
Hughes wasn't given top line minutes and favorable deployment for most, if not the entirety, of his rookie year, IIRC.

With that said, I wouldn't be upset with the kid having a Hughes-like development arc. I think he will come around quicker than that, though.

• Haha
Reactions: HawksDub89

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
I'm hoping that once the schedule eases up a bit and the Hawks aren't facing cup contending teams on each game that Bedard is able to fill the scoresheet.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Hughes wasn't given top line minutes and favorable deployment for most, if not the entirety, of his rookie year, IIRC.

With that said, I wouldn't be upset with the kid having a Hughes-like development arc. I think he will come around quicker than that, though.
Hughes had 52 points in 117 games in first two seasons, and I'm not sure you can point to top line minutes and 'favorable deployment' as a notch in Bedard's favor, he's getting the toughest matchups each night and plays with 3rd-4th line forwards...he's not exactly in a favorable spot to put up huge numbers

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
We next play the defending champions who are undefeated, just like the last 4 games. The Hawks do not have anywhere near the talent to beat these teams, bar a flukey night. Never seen a schedule like this to start a season, it’s ridiculous. I am still not discouraged, my expectations were low. And anyone who has even remotely negative things to say about 18 year old Bedard need to get a grip. He has a very Patrick Kane look to his movements and puck movement, look at the guys Kane played with throughout his career and look at Bedard’s line mates. He has absolutely nothing on the roster to work with, Gretzky couldn’t take Bedard’s line mates and make it a high scoring line. Patience is hard with being crap for so many years but there is no choice when you are in complete rebuild mode.

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
Hughes had 52 points in 117 games in first two seasons, and I'm not sure you can point to top line minutes and 'favorable deployment' as a notch in Bedard's favor, he's getting the toughest matchups each night and plays with 3rd-4th line forwards...he's not exactly in a favorable spot to put up huge numbers
Fair points. I was just pointing out there's more context to the comparison of Bedard's point totals vs Hughes'.

Regardless, comparing anything after only a few games is silly. And I could personally care less about point totals.

I think a lot of people bought into the hype machine and expected the kid to torch the league right out of the gate. I didn't watch him outside the WJC and thought he'd come in a little more polished, myself. Doesn't matter if it takes him half a season or a year or 2 years. As long as he gets there.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019

I don’t care. Hughes was invisible and a complete non factor for a large portion of his rookie season. Bedard is very clearly the best forward on the hawks to anybody with a working brain. And top line minutes on the hawks is like third line minutes on most good teams.

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
I don’t care. Hughes was invisible and a complete non factor for a large portion of his rookie season. Bedard is very clearly the best forward on the hawks to anybody with a working brain. And top line minutes on the hawks is like third line minutes on most good teams.
I think you think that I'm arguing Bedard's rookie season is/will be comparable to Hughes'. I'm not.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Never thought I would think this at this point but having Toews and Kane right now would be pretty helpful. Toews to just win a few draws, some board battles, and settle everything down a bit down the middle. Kane to pair with either Reichel or Bedard to give them some time and puck possession.
Kane wouldn't be playing right now anyway, do people just completely forget he is injured?

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Kane wouldn't be playing right now anyway, do people just completely forget he is injured?
Thanks for the info.

I said I didnt think I would feel like they would be a be helpful to this team at this point. Not we need to sign and injured Kane.

I did not say we need to sign an injured Kane or a sick/retired Toews. Just saying I didnt think they would miss their presence but a stabilizing big faceoff winning center and a puck possession offensive forward is kind of what they are missing. Also two guys that may have helped the powerplay if around.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Thanks for the info.

I said I didnt think I would feel like they would be a be helpful to this team at this point. Not we need to sign and injured Kane.

I did not say we need to sign an injured Kane or a sick/retired Toews. Just saying I didnt think they would miss their presence but a stabilizing big faceoff winning center and a puck possession offensive forward is kind of what they are missing. Also two guys that may have helped the powerplay if around.

Thats not what you said. You said "having them at this point would be helpful" ....but it wouldn't, because Kane wouldn't be playing.

Reactions: Pez68

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
Totally not daydreaming about what it would be like to have the 100+ point version of 88 feeding beautiful passes to 98.

Maybe I'll buy the next NHL game and try and make that happen on franchise mode :laugh:

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Thats not what you said. You said "having them at this point would be helpful" ....but it wouldn't, because Kane wouldn't be playing.
Neither would Toews.....

And you used only half the quote for a reason. Here ya go man.

-This quickly into the season I didnt think I would be missing having toews and kane. Them playing on this roster IMO would be helpful right now because of what they brought as players-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad