Post-Game Talk: Bruins def. Canucks - 4-0 | We don’t talk about Bruin-O.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Body language is important.

Petey screws up then hangs his head and droops his shoulders. Translation = oh poor me, why is life so hard.

Miller screws up and slams his stick on the boards.
Translation = #%*##%^ I need to do better

Not saying that’s what they were thinking but that’s what it looked like.
That is some serious f***in bias right there.

Both are bad. Miller stopped skating to throw that hissy fit...

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Another tough game coming up in Detroit......and a morning game (Pacific time) to boot. Canucks will need to be far better than they were in Boston......the Wings are another team that plays with pace and puts a lot of pressure on the d-men with a hard forecheck.

Then on to Washington for another morning game on Sunday. I'd be happy with a split. It was always shaping up as a tough road-trip coming out of the all-star break.

They'll be much better with those games, here's to it.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Tocchet.... I'm begging you here. Can we please swap Hoglander and Mikheyev? Yes, yes. I know Hoggy has some defensive warts but that's what Lindholm covers!

Seriously though. I just don't think they can keep Mikheyev in the top six any longer. He's decent enough defensively but a complete offensive blackhole. We're far enough in the standing we can experiment with Hoglander a little and see if he can do move.

Feb 19, 2018
Puck management has been very poor and instead of reacting guys are overthinking it. Guys aren’t skating on the Power Play and are back to being stationary. Hughes is getting pressured up top a lot more and they should almost play 4 guys down low and create a 4-3 with two guys at the sides and 2 in the bumper positions.

Reactions: biturbo19

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Our PP sucks.

Teams know to just play aggressive and up high because the whole PP essentially revolves around Hughes’s puck movement and possession rather than focusing on attacking the net. There’s almost never anyone close to the net within striking distance so we devolve to the high bumper/JT Miller top of the circle wind ups. There’s no shoot mentality. 0 shots in 3 of our 4 PP’s.

Another issue is Hughes holds onto the puck way too long. I counted how long each Boston player had the puck and most of the time, the guys on the PP had the puck on their stick for no longer than 2 seconds. Hughes holds onto the puck and starts stickhandling at the point presumably to assess his own chances and teammates availability but he becomes stationary when he does this. Within 2 seconds, the PK’ers are already blocking the passing lanes.

I suggest two things. Forget about the stupid high bumper, have two guys in the slot, Lindholm and Miller. Secondly, Boeser plays the left side on his one timer, and Petey sets up on the right side. Lindholm plays left side of the slot, Miller plays on the right side, downlow. Everyone is effectively in their one time position where they can attack the net quickly and get a shot and a rebound. With two guys closer to the net, there’s more traffic, and more opportunity for rebounds. This forces the opposing PK to relieve pressure off of Hughes because now there’s 2 guys attacking the net and PK’ers have to respect that. This leaves at least minimum 1 passing lane available for Hughes/Boeser or Hughes/Pettersson.

Another thing is Pettersson seriously needs to be playing shoot first. Always setting himself to shoot on a receiving end from a Hughes pass. Getting that through to Boeser should be easy, Pettersson on the other hand wants to hold onto the puck and try and make his own plays, it just never works.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Seems like every game so far that they have gone into with me thinking "this is a good test for them" they come out flat or just are getting smoked. Game 1 Toronto, Colorado, Vegas, now Boston. Thankfully we have a lot of games against good teams coming up. In these games there are lots of plays where the Canucks look surprised things aren't working, as if they expect the opposition to be worse than they are. Cute passes, over commiting on offense, losing the puck to forecheckers on relatively benign breakouts. Fixable stuff, but man the "this is just one game of 82" will fail eventually and it will start getting under their skin. They need to assert their game and come out flying against these teams.

Reactions: quat

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Seems like every game so far that they have gone into with me thinking "this is a good test for them" they come out flat or just are getting smoked. Game 1 Toronto, Colorado, Vegas, now Boston. Thankfully we have a lot of games against good teams coming up. In these games there are lots of plays where the Canucks look surprised things aren't working, as if they expect the opposition to be worse than they are. Cute passes, over commiting on offense, losing the puck to forecheckers on relatively benign breakouts. Fixable stuff, but man the "this is just one game of 82" will fail eventually and it will start getting under their skin. They need to assert their game and come out flying against these teams.

I feel like people are severely misremembering the Colorado game. That was a tied game after 2 where control of play was even then Colorado got a weird goal at the beginning of the 3rd and a late goal as a result of the Canucks playing more aggressive.

The idea that they've folded in every big game is complete confirmation bias. Against other top 10 teams (excluding EDM) they have a 104 point pace.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I've reached the point where I'd almost like to see them elevate Podkolzin from Abbotsford and try him with Pettersson and Lindholm. Mikheyev just isn't cutting it.

In fact I think they have enough wriggle room in the standings to start some experimentation. How about Lindholm centering Hoglander and Podkolzin?

Reactions: Deezone

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Larkin vs Miller fight incoming after Larkin takes an unintentional run at Demko.

Had a dream, just want to see if that’s what happens.

• Wow
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Should LTIR mikheyev so he can work on regaining his speed and strengthening that knee for the playoffs.

I don't think there is much of a drop off if you put Podz or someone else on that line right now

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
few notes

Don't forget this game. Move on but learn your lessons.

Its Tocchet, not Petey, that got outplayed. And Rick should have covered that hole and he didn't.

The Bruins obviously scouted this team and played a very aggressive PK which we didn't have an answer for.

But it wasn't just the weakness of a forward at the point the Bruins seemed prepared for our defensive play the way we move the puck around and go back.

They were prepared for Hughes turning away from his checker and they checked him to a standstill. It was not unlike the way Sandlak checked Housley in the 93 playoffs that won us that series. We don't have another Hughes. We need to deal when a team is able to shut him down. Demko is also getting scouted and he needs to compensate for high shots in close like that.

The Bruins have much more skill than any other teams we've faced including Carolina which is why they were able to keep checking. We couldn't compensate. Playing Joshua and Garland, and even Hoglander, was the right move to compensate but the Bruin's defensive collapse around Swayaman had no answer. Garland needs to bury his chances. He creates chances, his shots aren't creative enough.

We couldn't score our way back out of this - we need to deal with this kind of adversity and this kind of system if we are, heaven bid, cup prospects at this point.

A punishing bag skate is not the answer right now coming up on an early back to back. Re-evaluate on the days off on the way home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flik

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
What a bizarre game. Looked like the sloppy powerplay thing going against them early just cratered their effort level completely. Between that and the Bruins playing a structured, tight checking game...they just looked frustrated and listless, but not pissed off enough to do anything about it.

They're gonna have to push through games like this if they want to do anything in the playoffs.

As for all the shorties given up...it's really just lackadaisical play. It's not something you're going to go out and like, set aside time to "practice" Powerplay Defending lol. :laugh: Just need to have a little more urgency and intention with things. A few players in particular just look like they don't feel the need to work or engage on the powerplay right now. New guy Lindholm and Bozo the only ones who look like they're playing with proper battle and intensity on the man advantage...and the second unit just flat out lacks the skill to be a big threat (but have the work rate sorted better).

Felt like a little bit of a "reality check" game for all our All Stars.

Curious to see how they bounce back. 'Cause that was just pretty pathetic. Not just the losing, but the way they completely folded after some early bounces didn't go their way. Uncomfortably reminiscent of previous iterations of this team, not the group we've seen most of this year.

Reactions: Vector

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Even Shorty noticed that Bruins were aggressively checking the point men. This can be dangerous because the forecheckers can get out of position and it creates space in the top part of the slot but the Bruins clearly had practiced this and the Canucks looked tired.

Canucks are too used to their stickhandling and fast, accurate passes as a way to deal with this but they looked tired and nor did they not expect Demko and their backchecking to not be able to compensate for their mistakes.

First two lines and best defense were bottled up. Third Line was not able to bury it for any sort of comeback.

Reactions: Orca Smash

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
watching that i was thinking this team does not get knocked off its game plan very often and is maybe becoming too predictable/scoutable. it would be a good thing to have that message brought hom now.

also, pettersson relies too much on the redeeming moment to excuse inconsistent play.

Reactions: LuckyDay

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Colorado had a stinker against Carolina today too. Shit happens, can’t win ‘em all.
Everyone knows the team is going to lose I think everyone understands that.

However avs have proven themselves and didn't get shutout and didnt look incapable of generating any offense. I'm not mad they lost they will lose games, this one was bad though because of how incapable they looked last night generating anything. If they bounce back it's less of a concern but there going to have to play teams like Boston or Vegas in playoffs.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Everyone knows the team is going to lose I think everyone understands that.

However avs have proven themselves and didn't get shutout and didnt look incapable of generating any offense. I'm not mad they lost they will lose games, this one was bad though because of how incapable they looked last night generating anything. If they bounce back it's less of a concern but there going to have to play teams like Boston or Vegas in playoffs.
Teams like Boston and Vegas have also had stinkers.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Teams like Boston and Vegas have also had stinkers.

I'm not sure they have where they looked incapable of doing simple passes? And gave up two goals while they were on the powerplay? My point was this was San Jose early season level bad. I don't feel games are binary you either win or you lose, there's degrees to how bad it was. This was awful. Like I said nobody is panicking or needs to get defensive but when they can't generate anything I would be lying if I didn't pause briefly over how bad that was. And rick did not brush this off either post game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad