Post-Game Talk: Bruins at Rangers - October 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Im no genius but, isnt that the end result when your team is playmaking the hell out of the puck? Arent you SUPPOSED TO BE in ideal shooting positions when set up properly? You dont NEED 50 shots a game, to put 4 in. Just really good opportunities for players that KNOW how to shoot. We really havent had that despite all our winning in the last 10 years......okay 7.

Do you honestly believe that someone can finish the season shooting 30% or higher?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I feel like Vesey almosy only shoots in high danger areas and that's a result of his high shootings percentage. Pirri shoots it from everywhere so I'm surprised his is even that high.

Pirri has been missing the net a lot, only has 9 shots that have actually been on goal. This is all situations.

Vesey puts himself in good positions, but even the average NHL goalie saves 80% of high-danger chances against (this is off memory, so don't quote it).

Either way, you know the last time a shooter finished the season shooting 30% or higher?

In 92-93, in 55 games, Darin Kimble socred 7 goals on 20 shots. 35%

I filtered nhl.com results for seasons since 1917 and at least 41 games played. I don't know in what year Sh% started being kept, but in that timeframe, there were 9 players to reach the 30% plateau.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Pirri has been missing the net a lot, only has 9 shots that have actually been on goal. This is all situations.

Vesey puts himself in good positions, but even the average NHL goalie saves 80% of high-danger chances against (this is off memory, so don't quote it).

Either way, you know the last time a shooter finished the season shooting 30% or higher?

I filtered nhl.com results for seasons since 1917 and at least 41 games played. I don't know in what year Sh% started being kept, but in that timeframe, there were 9 players to reach the 30% plateau.
I think the Rangers will hit a little drought about 35 games in and everyone's shooting percentage will drop. :laugh:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Well, fortunately, the team as a whole isn't really lighting the world on fire in the Sh% department. It's really just Pirri and Vesey.

That's only shots on net, though. I doubt they're both sustainable at THAT level, obviously, but if you factor in those that are blocked or miss the net, especially in Pirri's case, I think you'll see different numbers. Which is why I'm pretty sure I'll continue to be big fans of both even once they go down.

Pirri's shot is lethal when it's on net (which is why we all love him), so if his % goes down, but he keeps ripping them, I'll have no problem with it - it'll likely mean he's simply getting more shots through. If that were to be the case, I would expect the percentage to drop but the goals scored to climb.

As for Vesey, same deal - right now, he's only taking high danger shots, so again, if he adds more shots from distance, yes his percentage will go down, but it only makes him a more complete, dangerous player who will score more overall goals.

EDIT: which I see is a subject you all covered while I was busy typing. :laugh:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
That's only shots on net, though. I doubt they're both sustainable at THAT level, obviously, but if you factor in those that are blocked or miss the net, especially in Pirri's case, I think you'll see different numbers. Which is why I'm pretty sure I'll continue to be big fans of both even once they go down.

Pirri's shot is lethal when it's on net (which is why we all love him), so if his % goes down, but he keeps ripping them, I'll have no problem with it - it'll likely mean he's simply getting more shots through. If that were to be the case, I would expect the percentage to drop but the goals scored to climb.

As for Vesey, same deal - right now, he's only taking high danger shots, so again, if he adds more shots from distance, yes his percentage will go down, but it only makes him a more complete, dangerous player who will score more overall goals.

I was told that shot attempts do not matter :sarcasm:

A good point. Corsica works only intermittently for me these days so I cannot see their individual shot attempt %, but considering the goals per shot, I'd still imagine it's very high.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
1st was good, 3rd was remarkable. 2nd was a disaster. (At even strength, anyway)

Still a long way to go for Hank.

Offense is bae.

Lundqvist has outplayed the last three goalies, and has posted a .930SV% and 2GAA in each of the 3 games. If he does that on a nightly basis, Rangers will win a lot of games this season.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013

Very few are from this century. Only one to hit 30% in this century was Matt Johnson.

Narrow it down from 2000 - 2016 with at least 41 games played. Petr Prucha is the only Ranger in the top-50...30 goals on 130 shots.....around 23%.

In the top 5 from 2000-2016, 3 of them are Tanguay. Seems like he just really picks his opportunities.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Very few are from this century. Only one to hit 30% in this century was Matt Johnson.

Narrow it down from 2000 - 2016 with at least 41 games played. Petr Prucha is the only Ranger in the top-50...30 goals on 130 shots.....around 23%.

In the top 5 from 2000-2016, 3 of them are Tanguay. Seems like he just really picks his opportunities.

Yes, that's the point. Their shooting percentages are going to come down. The goals are going to slow down.

Just keep that in mind when it's game 40 and we're evaluating these guys. That's all I ask.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Yep..and TBH Millers played very well and hasnt been rewarded... really the big surprise is how poorly Zucc has played.

Hasn't zooks been a slow starter in the past as well? I think last year he came roaring out of the gate, but years before I remember him not reaching his stride until a couple months in.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
the weird thing is im not really sure i recall Vesey taking a single perimeter shot...its like everything is within 10 feet of the net...no wristers from 25 feet out...no slapshots...just high percentage shots from high danger zones...honestly the surprising thing about Vesey is that he doesnt have MORE goals...hes missed on at least 2 or 3 wide open nets...

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Pirri and Zibanejad should be on separate PP units.

Pirri isn't a good enough playmaker on the PP, so his unit should be set up with him as the one shooter. Our 1-3-1 has not looked as dangerous without Kreider in front of the net.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Pirri and Zibanejad should be on separate PP units.

Pirri isn't a good enough playmaker on the PP, so his unit should be set up with him as the one shooter. Our 1-3-1 has not looked as dangerous without Kreider in front of the net.

i disagree with this...having 2 shooters is enormous. the problem im having with our PP is that we're running everything from the walls...they should be running it through the top. we're trying seam passes to set up 1 timers instead of passing it through the defenseman up top...and thats because McD is probably more of a shooter than a passer in this situation. I think Clendening would be big here..stick him up top and let him pass the puck. Or, if you really want to be creative, stick Zucc at the top...he's a guy who can move the puck to where it needs to go. I think McD has been holding the top PP unit back. hes not been bad, i just dont think hes the style of player you want with 2 lethal shooters flanking him.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
i disagree with this...having 2 shooters is enormous. the problem im having with our PP is that we're running everything from the walls...they should be running it through the top. we're trying seam passes to set up 1 timers instead of passing it through the defenseman up top...and thats because McD is probably more of a shooter than a passer in this situation. I think Clendening would be big here..stick him up top and let him pass the puck. Or, if you really want to be creative, stick Zucc at the top...he's a guy who can move the puck to where it needs to go. I think McD has been holding the top PP unit back. hes not been bad, i just dont think hes the style of player you want with 2 lethal shooters flanking him.

I think the first couple games/PP opportunities you saw it run from the top and them teams adjusted their PK to once the rotation to the 1-3-1 happened and the box flipped to a diamond the PKer at the top has been sticking closer to the point man and not allowing the pass for the one timer. This however does open up the seam pass across the middle.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I think Clendening would be big here..stick him up top and let him pass the puck. Or, if you really want to be creative, stick Zucc at the top...he's a guy who can move the puck to where it needs to go. I think McD has been holding the top PP unit back. hes not been bad, i just dont think hes the style of player you want with 2 lethal shooters flanking him.

this this this this and this.

Clendening being a wiz on the 1st unit in preseason was no fluke. He has faking/juking ability that McDonagh simply doesn't have and it broke down coverage frequently, allowing much more open looks for Zib and Pirri.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
its also worth noting that the PP is clicking at 25%...which is practically unreal for this franchise.

so theres not really a problem per se...but i think we all agree it can look better.

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
Have they really gotten better as individuals OR have the additions slid into roles that have allowed those players to be properly used and placed where they can succeed?

In other words you cant expect players that are "good passers" to become snipers such as Zib and Pirri are.

For me......this kid Vesey looks like the real deal. Maybe hes surprising the league right now, but if he continuously gets in those scoring areas and drives to the net like hes some kind of Milan Lucic power forward......well then, thats just gonna behoove his linemates. For crying out loud, thats what we EXPECT from Nasher, not some smallish 23 year old kid. Awesome though, isnt it? How fortunate are we for him to land in our laps.

Hard to believe that Vesey is actually listed at 6'3" 207. Nash is 6'4" 212. Almost the same size. Vesey does look small on the ice for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad