Confirmed with Link: Brossoit 1 year 1.5aav

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He was mediocre. Watching the games he let in plenty of questionable goals. It doesn't matter how many games he played and ten games is enough of a sample size to show he is a below-average goalie.

Who cares how well he played the year before!? The year before that he played poorly. He has a career save percentage of .897. Do those numbers indicate a good backup goalie? Do those numbers indicate a contract worthy of anything above the league minimum?

There is a glut of goalies that will be available this off-season. Starters and backups. Brossoit would have never received more than 1 million anywhere else based on his track record. As I said, overpaying by a $500,000 for a franchise that tends to watch it's dollar and cents is not a good strategy even if it is one year. That is $500,000 less to fill another hole.

You can believe what you want but 10 games is not enough to use sv% as a yardstick. It simply isn't statistically meaningful for that small a sample.

I disagree with your eye test too. IMO, he was good. He got no help whatsoever. His career sv% is not .897. It is .906. Not great, but not bad by backup goalie standards.

I agree with you about the pay. The same as last year, no raise, should have been the max. I would have offered him 1 mil. I don't think any other team would have offered him as much. They wouldn't watch the games and see how little support he got. They would look at the stats and offer him ~800k.

But I'm happy to have him back. I like his game.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
for everyone saying he just needs to play in front of a great defense... news flash... the jets arent going to be great on defense next season... and brossoit has shown in his career when you play poorly in front of him he self destructs.
awful signing. brossoit was absolute trash last year... any modern goslie with a save percentage below .900 doesnt deserve an nhl contract. jets better off signing a random young backup for less than a million.
LimitedAnyIberianmole-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: Bigfish

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
You're right, the signing of Laurent Brossoit stopped the otherwise great chance that Henrik Lundqvist would take $1m to sit on the bench in Winnipeg.

Maybe he wanted the chance to prove he's as good as the current Vesina winner. But then I forgot how the Jets play way worse without Helle in net.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
did you really think he'd move to Winnipeg after a lifetime of living in Manhattan? He plays in a band with John McEnroe. He's a GQ coverperson. what's the Winnipeg equivalent of those? Playing with Joey Gregorish and being on the cover of Canadian Mennonite Magazine?

Did you see the one where they accidentally showed an ankle? Pretty hot stuff. :laugh:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
He is a good back for Helly.
Not bad not great.
Hopefully he bounced back a little.
His record when plays can mean the difference of the Jets makong the playoff.
As the team will be a bubble team.

Unless
Some more players level up.
And we got a D or 2 to sign (inclusing demelo).

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Tampa Bay will be paying (9.5+1.3) $10.8M for their goalie tandem next season and $9.5M AAV invested in Vasilevsky for years to come.
After signing Lehner, Vegas has a $12M goalie combo.
The Jets have a total of $7.67 invested in a Vezina winner plus a perfectly compatible backup. Compatibility is important.

As for Brossoit's credentials, as has been said, save % over 15-20 games is meaningless.
Over his career he is .906. Over the past 2 seasons he is .910. Over the past 4 seasons--equally weighted--he is ~.908.
It's pretty clear what we are getting with Brossoit, as a goalie and a partner to Helle. And it's just fine.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
did you really think he'd move to Winnipeg after a lifetime of living in Manhattan? He plays in a band with John McEnroe. He's a GQ coverperson. what's the Winnipeg equivalent of those? Playing with Joey Gregorish and being on the cover of Canadian Mennonite Magazine?

:laugh:

Reactions: HannuJ

potroaster

Jul 1, 2012
Of course this was an overpay. I mean Dell got signed for 800K. But there has always been a good guy in the room type leader who is a good example on what the values are all about. That's Chevy talk. :)

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Of course this was an overpay. I mean Dell got signed for 800K. But there has always been a good guy in the room type leader who is a good example on what the values are all about. That's Chevy talk. :)

Dell was atrocious last year and thats why he got $800k to play for the Marlies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad