Confirmed with Link: Brind'Amour named head coach

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Now that I read your post, you might be right. I read it differently at first. I read the "how he wants them to play" and "lump them into the same bin" more as he wanted every player to play the exact same style, even if it didn't fit their strengths. For instance, having guys like Skinner and Lindholm play the same way as McGinn vs. taking advantage of their skills.

The two could go hand in hand. But I had a long day at work and I’m tired so I don’t want to think about the connection, it just feels like they could both be the issue.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Now that I read your post, you might be right. I read it differently at first. I read the "how he wants them to play" and "lump them into the same bin" more as he wanted every player to play the exact same style, even if it didn't fit their strengths. For instance, having guys like Skinner and Lindholm play the same way as McGinn vs. taking advantage of their skills.

HCRB told Friedman- who asked for a specific example of something he picked up from the various head coaches over his hockey career- that Laviolette's success is getting everyone to feel their role is equally important to the success of the team. Didn't register at the time, but the way he said made it sound like having different players play different ways is something Rod plans to incorporate.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
HCRB told Friedman- who asked for a specific example of something he picked up from the various head coaches over his hockey career- that Laviolette's success is getting everyone to feel their role is equally important to the success of the team. Didn't register at the time, but the way he said made it sound like having different players play different ways is something Rod plans to incorporate.

You don’t have 4 grinding lines.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
How could it fail? Just look at what Wayne Gretzky did behind the bench. Winners are winners.

I always thought it would be tough for guys of that skill level to coach. Gretzky thinks "here's what I'd do in that situation." And 0 other players in the history of the game could do that. A lot of what he does just isn't transferable.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I always thought it would be tough for guys of that skill level to coach. Gretzky thinks "here's what I'd do in that situation." And 0 other players in the history of the game could do that. A lot of what he does just isn't transferable.
This is what I worry about with Rod. He is going to have a blind spot to effort and dedication because that was easy for him. “Give 150% effort...no problem.”

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013

I hope that's the case, because that's exactly what I've been harping on with Peters for the last 4 years.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Solid article by Luke:

Underestimate Hurricanes' Rod Brind'Amour at your peril

Brind'Amour was responsible for the power play, yes, but was still operating under Peters' direction. He could communicate with the players informally, but managing the locker room and handling the captains was Peters' job, and for Brind'Amour to interfere would undercut the head coach's authority. As was the case under Francis, some of Brind'Amour's unique talents were impinged under Peters by the nature of his role.

So yes, there are risks here. Brind'Amour is an easy choice for new owner Tom Dundon, someone willing to take the job on the owner's terms, still without a general manager in place. But that does not mean he is the wrong choice.
It's fair to question whether Brind'Amour is the right choice for coach, but underestimate him at your peril. When given the responsibility to lead, and the autonomy to do it his way, he has yet to fail.

Looks like Luke had the right take all along.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad