Speculation: Brian Wilde just said assistants and Lefebvre gone

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Here's the problem. Bergevin is gonna fire these guys and bring in more nepotism clowns. Who will then, because of money, have to be retained for awhile under the new regime.

Molson costing himself a lot of money by hanging on to Bergy.

Getting rid of the assistants does nothing, that should have been done when Julien took over as coach but now it is being done because it's an anyone but me scenario. Molson is also paying Bergevin big bucks but that shouldn't deter him from firing him either because at least if he is fired he can't do any more damage and we all know that he is about to do more.

Reactions: Runner77 and BLONG7

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Brian Wilde just announced he's leaving Recruites, and says that it could be his final stop in his sports journalism career.

BigGreen

Mar 23, 2018
Montreal
Brian Wilde just announced he's leaving Recruites, and says that it could be his final stop in his sports journalism career.

I wonder what happened. His string of tweets comes off as if there was a falling out between he and Grant, which wouldn't surprise me. Sad to see him go though. I always appreciated his upkeep with communication among the fans.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I wonder what happened. His string of tweets comes off as if there was a falling out between he and Grant, which wouldn't surprise me. Sad to see him go though. I always appreciated his upkeep with communication among the fans.

I think it's also possible they just weren't making enough money.

void

Jan 5, 2006

I think he just wasn't making enough money.

"I don't want to pressure anyone, BUT...." :laugh::facepalm:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

His initial tweet simply said it's not as viable for him. Meaning he's not making enough money working there.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Which isn't surprising. Brian and Grant don't have big enough names to make a living out of a new online media outlet. It takes years to build a brand, they can't expect to make decent money right off the bat, no matter how ambitious they are.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
Which isn't surprising. Brian and Grant don't have big enough names to make a living out of a new online media outlet. It takes years to build a brand, they can't expect to make decent money right off the bat, no matter how ambitious they are.
That was very naive to begin with. Why would someone pay to read opinions of those two? I do not get it. I might read it if they pay me though...say 5$/article.

BigGreen

Mar 23, 2018
Montreal
Maybe the were going for an Athletic approach, but more Habs/prospects-based? Nothing the Athletic doesn't already provide, so it's not that surprising.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

He had a journalism career? I thought he had been reading cue cards for a living until his last stop where he probably got slapped around at Re/crudes.

Reactions: lo striver

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He had a journalism career? I thought he had been reading cue cards for a living until his last stop where he probably got slapped around at Re/crudes.

He's still in the trenches. Still takes part in the scrums. I don't think he goes on the road though and we know why, Recrutes ain't got da dough. Unlike his partner/boss who comes off as someone who sits at home and stat watches.

While his stock has dropped for me when he joined Rerutes, I did and still do like him. I don't know if The Athletic would hire him or The Gazette. Or he joins TSN690. I can't think of anywhere else he can go around the Montreal parts. Both CTV and CBC basically cut their sports coverage.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
He's still in the trenches. Still takes part in the scrums. I don't think he goes on the road though and we know why, Recrutes ain't got da dough. Unlike his partner/boss who comes off as someone who sits at home and stat watches.

While his stock has dropped for me when he joined Rerutes, I did and still do like him. I don't know if The Athletic would hire him or The Gazette. Or he joins TSN690. I can't think of anywhere else he can go around the Montreal parts. Both CTV and CBC basically cut their sports coverage.
He does a little with Global, which I think he could expand if they want to increase coverage. He is a very fine writer regardless of your take on the content.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I think The Athletic would be a smart move. I don't know how they share their revenue within that contraption but they have attracted a lot of big names and broadcasters who moonlight as writers on the side. He's done well for himself working regularly as an English reporter in a city with a small demographic over so many years, until he was shown the door last year.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I think The Athletic would be a smart move. I don't know how they share their revenue within that contraption but they have attracted a lot of big names and broadcasters who moonlight as writers on the side. He's done well for himself working regularly as an English reporter in a city with a small demographic over so many years, until he was shown the door last year.

I subscribed to The Athletic and it is worth every penny. But I'm not sure what Wilde can cover there in Montreal sports:

Basu covers English hockey
M-A Godin covers French hockey
Marc Dumont covers Laval
Mitch Brown covers prospects
Lloyd Barker and Joey Alfieri cover Impact
Alfieri covers Alouettes.
Mitch Melnick has his editorials

I guess he can join Basu for Habs hockey and like Melnick, have his own editorial.

Either way, The Athletic would probably be the best route for him to take.

There, together, we mapped out a better career path for Wilde.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
And your new coach of the Laval Rockets, Brian Wilde LOLOLOL

Here is Wilde behind the Rockets' bench, with his mic and cue card guy. And as usual, Wilde is completely distracted, looking in outer space ...

27xy3k.jpg

Last edited:

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
I think working with the ornery Grant rubbed off on him, he was more pleasant on Twitter before joining Recrutes. He dug in hard on positions involving the "quality" of Habs drafting. They went to bat hard for Timmins and got defensive and disrespectful to those that dared question our "amazing" draft record and plentiful prospect bank . I expected that of Grant, but not of Brian.

I think that turned a lot of people off Recrutes , there was no room for debate. You questioned Timmins, and our topnotch prospects, the claws came out.

I wish Wilde the best of luck . He was pleasant when I met him a few times at Habs training camp. Always a smile on his face. Maybe Global needs a sportscaster. He's already in there.

Back to the topic at hand, fire Daigneault yesterday. Fire Lefebvre 5 years ago, and fire Lacroix 3 years ago, I can't believe he's only been botching our special teams for 4 years, feels like 10.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal

I also think going head to head against the Athletic was a factor. People do not have money to spend on two yearly subscriptions IMO.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I don't know if it's just speculation or not from Wilde, ( I'm assuming it is ), but I do think there will be many people gone in Laval after next weekend.
Complete shake up down there is needed and I personally think is coming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad