Speculation: Brian Wilde just said assistants and Lefebvre gone

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
There are parallels with business but losing your job is nothing like permanently losing your health -- so that's the caveman part right there.

Plus, the examples you gave involve star players -- these guys always get their jobs back. But, I can definitely see your point for journeymen-types or players who are not established, they're going to want to do anything, even put themselves at risk permanently, not to lose their livelihood.
The journeymen players are the ones who, by and large, are dying young from CTE-related illness or suicide. One of the most impactful things I noticed when I saw the Nilan movie "The Last Gladiators" is the fact that a couple of the guys profiled and even interviewed for the movie were dead by the time the movie was released.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
I remember posting a rant last off season lambasting this org. for making only one sole pro coaching change (hiring Julien) during/after their terrible season. Some poster actually mocked me by saying "...what are you complaining about, we made the most important change, hiring a new coach and everything will get better now that he will have a full year to implement his system", somehow implying it was all Therrien's fault and all the other coaches looked bad because of him! :laugh: :laugh:

Reactions: ArtPeur

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
they are 8 guys that absolute need to go ( And I don't count MB because he will return)

Larry Carriere
Scott Mellanby
Jean-Jacques Daigneault
Dan Lacroix
Sylvain Lefebvre
Eric Crawford
Rob Ramage
Shane Churla
I’m good with this list

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
classic MB distraction tactic.....this gives MB something else to talk about at the presser, so it's not all about our horrid season,

It also lets MB point some of the blame elsewhere.....typical coward move.....by a coward
Which in turn gives YOU something to talk about.....see how that works

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You'd be surprised how prevalent this culture is even in fields with individuals with higher education. It comes with the inherent competitiveness.

I don't dispute the competitiveness part. It's just that in a physical sport like hockey, you're putting your long-term well-being on the line with a high risk of permanent damage. If you are in a competitive environment in business where the outcome is that you risk losing your job, you can always find another. The consequences are usually not as dire.

Never did I presuppose that competitiveness is not an element that you find in other areas. I've worked in fields with individuals having higher education all of my life. I've been in the board rooms of international corporations, know what it's like to face angry shareholders and see high performance individuals lose their jobs. I think I know a thing or two about how they handle themselves.

In any case, back to Wilde. It was an easy prediction for him to make and that's all it is.

Reactions: jaffy27

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I don't dispute the competitiveness part. It's just that in a physical sport like hockey, you're putting your long-term well-being on the line with a high risk of permanent damage. If you are in a competitive environment in business where the outcome is that you risk losing your job, you can always find another. The consequences are usually not as dire.

Never did I presuppose that competitiveness is not an element that you find in other areas. I've worked in fields with individuals having higher education all of my life. I've been in the board rooms of international corporations, know what it's like to face angry shareholders and see high performance individuals lose their jobs. I think I know a thing or two about how they handle themselves.

In any case, back to Wilde. It was an easy prediction for him to make and that's all it is.

I wasn't arguing against your general point, I fully agree with it. I wanted to comment on the link between education and the culture you were describing and how it actually seems theres a deleterious effect to it, rather than protective.

My own experience is that the higher the demands to get to and maintain a position, the more you see this culture, regadless of education level. Instead of players risking their physical health, you'll see people sacrificing family, marriage or their mental health. I've seen everything from coming to work the day after cancer treatments to after a death in the immediate family, all with similar motivations and pats on the back you see in sports.

That is to say it's a problem on a rather large scale, that's even perpetuated by the layman (just look at comments when Prices chronic fatigue came out, or when Kovalev got slashed in the PO). Its easy for people who feel they have high responsibilities to introject that they do have to sacrifice and carry on, in spite of what's good for them.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
they are 8 guys that absolute need to go ( And I don't count MB because he will return)

Larry Carriere
Scott Mellanby
Jean-Jacques Daigneault
Dan Lacroix
Sylvain Lefebvre
Eric Crawford
Rob Ramage
Shane Churla

Maybe I missed something but why Mellanby, Crawford and Ramage?

Even Churla, isn't Timmins still in charge of the draft even as an assistant GM?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Crawford he in charge of the pro scouting since 2 years and since 2 years look a the acquisition, Ramage , just look at the development .. Mellanby I want a guy out of the Bergevin boy club who gonna challenge him

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
MB going to throw powder in everyones eyes on monday
cover his as* strategy

not going to change nothing until owner drains the complete swamp..starting with MB himself

if MB is spared , expect another 3-4 years minimim with habs

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Drain the swamp, drain the swamp, everybody...drain the swamp. Gawd I am hating this team. :(

Reactions: mariolemieux66

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
All part of the plan...for Bergey to stay another three years. Fire assistants this year. Fire Julien next year and hire Vigneault. Then he gets a free year for Vigneault to work with the guys. Then Bergey gets fired at last.
Hold on a minute

You are missing something herE

Before bergevin gets fired this will happen

Fire assistants
Fire julien next year
Re hire vigneault
Fire assistants
Fire vigneault
Hire therrien
Fire assistants
Hire julien
Repeat rinse here

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
I’m good with this list
All scouts need to be looked at ...Pro scouts...Sean Burke,Scott Master,Reid Simpson,Dave Starman,David Maclean and head of amateur scouting Shane Churla and amateur scouts....Donald Audette,Alvin Backus,Elmer Benning,Serge Boisvert,Bobby Kinsella,Ken Morin,Christopher Rockstrom,Steve Ludzik jr,Matt Turek,Hannu Laine,Michal Krupe,Artem Templin,Pat Westrum,Andy Bezeau,Vic Posa and player development Rob Ramage,Francis Boullion,Vincent Riendeau and skills consultant Sebastien Bordeleau.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017

Churla was never the same after this hit. There was a time when he was depressed and rely on drinking after his career ended. He was lucky he got hired by Bergervin.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
you guys do you think if MTL put bug $$ that they could steal Martin Madden Jr from the Ducks has head scout ?

They should throw money at every possible non-cap related expense they should to bring in the best in every position. I would look to plunge into teams like Ducks, Lightning, and Preds (to name a few) for their scouting. I'd also look to Halifax Mooseheads in Junior and look who has been able to draft and develop players like MacKinnon, Drouin, Ehlers, Hischier, and Zadina to name a few.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Churla was never the same after this hit. There was a time when he was depressed and rely on drinking after his career ended. He was lucky he got hired by Bergervin.

He was already a fulltime scout with Dallas when Bergevin hired him in Montreal.

And while I understand people's frustration with Bergevin's cronyism, Bergevin had such a long career & played on so many times that there are likely few people in the hockey world who doesn't have some kind of association with him.

Even Joel Bouchard. They were never teammates but MB spent 5 years in St. Louis in late 90s while Bouchard played in Calgary & Nashville at the same time. They would've played a lot of games against each other & probably know each quite well.

Pro hockey is a small world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad