Speculation: Brian Lawton: OEL will be the next big trade

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Would love the islanders to be all over this.

Do a similar deal that COL/OTT/NSH

Islanders send out pieces along with de Haan agreeing to an extension with A third team.

OEL comes to the islanders.

Yotes get the pieces from the isles and the 3rd team.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
OEL has norris potential

if Toronto has a long-term contract in place then Marner is absolutely a player you trade for him

btw he lost his mother to cancer so that could explain why he's not playing to potential (+ the coyotes)

also it's clear that Lawton is just spewing off here but it does make sense

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
For f***s sake, we are simply not allowed to have nice things.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
yeah I just briefly looked through some trade lists and can't find any defenseman of OEL's current quality, since Pronger. He was first moved for Lupul/Smid/1st rounder/conditional 1st rounder/2nd rounder, and then for Lupul/Sbisa/2 1sts. Smid was the 9th overall pick in 04, and Sbisa 19th overall in 08. So, if you consider them to be roughly at the same place in their careers (obviously up for debate, but the closest precedent), it'd be OEL for a roster player + legitimate prospect + 2 1st round picks.
Pronger was locked up on a long-term contract at the time of the trade so that probably does effect the value to some extent, but I could see something close to that deal happening if OEL does get traded.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
not that our payroll would allow for it, but how much would ottawa have to add to Chabot + 1st? Just out of curiosity.

Reactions: SI90

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I bet GMs will just check their rosters for the analytics darlings and offer them up. :laugh:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We would need stuff that's closer to helping us.

To TOR:
OEL
Duclair

To ARI:
Marner
Dermott
2018 2nd
Bozak**

**helps the cap situation and can be dealt for another 2nd at the TDL.

I think we'd want an NHL piece. We need pro pieces.

To EDM:
OEL
Duclair

To ARI:
Klefbom
Puljujarvi
Bear
Draft pick

an extension would need to be in place you do NOT move Marner for a rental

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If I am the Yotes I hold firm on Marner from TOR. They can get Liljegren, Kapanen and picks type deals from many teams.

I don't think giving up Marner is the problem. Giving up Marner for 1.5 years of OEL is the problem. If he's willing to sign a reasonable deal in July, I am okay with parting with one of our stars because it's not like Hall for Larsson. OEL is a legit #1D.

If there is no deal or even reasonable talks, there is no way Marner+ go the other way. Leafs cant risk losing Marner and then lose OEL a year from now.

Reactions: matrixtrippin

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
OEL will verbally agree to sign with the Leafs, he'll be traded in a deal based around Marner + Dermott or Liljegren IMO.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
OEL will verbally agree to sign with the Leafs, he'll be traded in a deal based around Marner + Dermott or Liljegren IMO.

Nope that is off in value. Leafs can't afford to trade Marner AND Dermott or Liljegren. That is two of our best young D.

If OEL comes in, Gardiner is gone. We need to replace Gardiner with cheap ELCs. That is where Dermott and Liljegren come in.

If it's a signed OEL, it's Marner + picks. If it's a 1.5 year rental OEL then it's Liljegren + Kapanen + picks.

Reactions: Kelly

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If it's a signed OEL, it's Marner + picks. If it's a 1.5 year rental OEL then it's Liljegren + Kapanen + picks.

You are not getting a top pairing D signed for Marner and picks. Come on. :rolleyes:

Reactions: McVespa99

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Islanders offer: Beauvillier, Bellows, Pulock, 2018 1st, CGY 2018 1st
Probably too much
Coyotes probably still say no.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don't think giving up Marner is the problem. Giving up Marner for 1.5 years of OEL is the problem. If he's willing to sign a reasonable deal in July, I am okay with parting with one of our stars because it's not like Hall for Larsson. OEL is a legit #1D.

If there is no deal or even reasonable talks, there is no way Marner+ go the other way. Leafs cant risk losing Marner and then lose OEL a year from now.

Oh yeah, you have to figure whomever gets OEL has spoken with him and understand what it will cost to re-sign and if he will sign with the new team.

edit: but there will be a real plus on top of Marner, and it will likely be a young D.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
I would absolutely be crushed to see Mitch dealt, but if it were for an extendable OEL, I would definitely be willing to do it. Capable of pushing the pace offensively, and is one of the elite defensive sticks in the game.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I would absolutely be crushed to see Mitch dealt, but if it were for an extendable OEL, I would definitely be willing to do it. Capable of pushing the pace offensively, and is one of the elite defensive sticks in the game.
I dont think the coyotes are gonna be looking for a 4th liner in return for OEL

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
To EDM:
OEL
Duclair

To ARI:
Klefbom
Puljujarvi
Bear
Draft pick

Not terrible, but with Klefbom's contract, I'd only really want to add like a 2nd or 3rd, and drop the other pieces. That's assuming we can work out a deal with OEL first.

A much bigger return would be to sub Klefa for Russell and drop Duclair. Then you're looking at a 1st, and probably something else

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Nope that is off in value. Leafs can't afford to trade Marner AND Dermott or Liljegren. That is two of our best young D.

If OEL comes in, Gardiner is gone. We need to replace Gardiner with cheap ELCs. That is where Dermott and Liljegren come in.

If it's 1.5 years with that offer, even a Jabrone like Chayka would laugh Lou off the phone.
What's the cost of a true #1D? Another 1D.

Is Liljegren, Kap and even a first or two worth a 1D? No. Not close even. Also, Lou isn't known as being a trade wizard by any extent. You start with Marner as a base and hope it keeps Chayka on the phone.

If it's true, that OEL hits the market; there will be 30 teams that check in to see what it'll cost, there will be 20-25 that'll seriously consider the price, and there will be 5-8 that look to spend the king's ransom it'd take. A 1D will always have a market.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
How can Poile get in on this without getting OEL? You'll have to make this a 3-way trade, you're not allowed to have a blockbuster that doesn't include David Poile.

Reactions: SI90

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
If it's 1.5 years with that offer, even a Jabrone like Chayka would laugh Lou off the phone.
What's the cost of a true #1D? Another 1D.

Is Liljegren, Kap and even a first or two worth a 1D? No. Not close even. Also, Lou isn't known as being a trade wizard by any extent. You start with Marner as a base and hope it keeps Chayka on the phone.

If it's true, that OEL hits the market; there will be 30 teams that check in to see what it'll cost, there will be 20-25 that'll seriously consider the price, and there will be 5-8 that look to spend the king's ransom it'd take. A 1D will always have a market.

Wrong, Rangers fans were completely fine with Lil+ 2 1sts for McD.

Sorry, unless he's on a sick deal, you can't really expect too much more than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad