Brett Connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I wouldn't exactly say he had 'much more production' than Koko. He had 11 more points in the exact same amount of games (137 games). Koko is also a year younger, and was drafted in the middle of the 2nd round, not 6th overall, so the expectations are much different.

People are worried because he has 139 games of experience in the NHL in addition to those 137 games in the AHL. In those 139 games, he only has 34 points. Sure, it may have been a 'numbers' game, but it's not as if he hasn't had quite a large sample size already. Meanwhile, Koko, by comparison, has only seen 4 NHL games.

Again, the jury is certainly still out on Connolly. He definitely has the skillset for it, which is why he was drafted so high. But will he ever be able to translate that to an NHL level? That remains to be seen. People are pessimistic, and rightfully so, due to his track record, but he certainly has the opportunity this year to prove any doubters wrong. We'll see what he does with it.

In my mind, they gave up two 2nd rounders for him and that should basically set his expectations. So what are reasonable expectations for two 2nd round picks? Don't most 2nd round picks never sniff the NHL?

I'm EXPECTING 15 goals, maybe 40-45 points. Decent all-around game, a little bit chippy, and fast enough to improve on our overall team speed of "Tortoise" level. Play well enough, along with guys like Beleskey and Hayes, to keep Chris Kelly away from the 3rd line. I think that's more than fair return for two 2nd rounders, especially considering his salary and his age. So frankly I'm surprised that people are either setting the bar higher or lacking any confidence he can hit that bar.

Last edited:

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
In my mind, they gave up two 2nd rounders for him and that should basically set his expectations. So what are reasonable expectations for two 2nd round picks? Don't most 2nd round picks never sniff the NHL?

I'm EXPECTING 15 goals, maybe 40-45 points. Decent all-around game, a little bit chippy, and fast enough to improve on our overall team speed of "Tortoise" level. Play well enough, along with guys like Beleskey and Hayes, to keep Chris Kelly away from the 3rd line. I think that's more than fair return for two 2nd rounders, especially considering his salary and his age. So frankly I'm surprised that people are either setting the bar higher or lacking any confidence he can hit that bar.

That is entirely reasonable.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Somewhere in between 13-14 and 14-15 Reilly Smith, but with more jam is what I am realistically hoping for.

He does still have upside higher than that, though, which we won't be able to say this time next year if he doesn't show it this year, realistically.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Johnny boychuck.

Nail on the head. IIRC, we traded Boychuk for two picks, and flipped basically similar picks for Connolly.

So, we got almost one year of cap relief/no player, and then whatever Connolly's got to give us. Not impressed with him on the Spooner line with Hayes, and I think he's the weak link. Spooner had some good moves against NYR tonight, and Hayes was a beast in Providence in front of the net on the PP. Connolly...meh.

bizman

Feb 27, 2009
montreal
I thought he looked much better tonight. Showed some quickness and had a few chances that hopefully he could bury next time.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
He did look much better. At this point, I'd say it's still safe to call him a project. Has all the tools, but no toolbox type of player. But that is fixable. I am a fan of his and think he'll turn into something nice. Puck control seems to be his biggest issue. Looks really jittery with it, and gets bumped off easily. Clode's style can mold him into a complete player. I'm excited to see what he brings for the 2015-16 season. There is a lot of potential here. I want him with Marchand and Bergeron.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006

It's reasonable but are you saying he's along the lines of an 07/08, 08/09 Chuck Kobasew?

He's got the shot to do more damage than 15g but it is hard to see if he'll do it.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Nail on the head. IIRC, we traded Boychuk for two picks, and flipped basically similar picks for Connolly.

So, we got almost one year of cap relief/no player, and then whatever Connolly's got to give us. Not impressed with him on the Spooner line with Hayes, and I think he's the weak link. Spooner had some good moves against NYR tonight, and Hayes was a beast in Providence in front of the net on the PP. Connolly...meh.

I can't say I watched that closely, but this is my impression as well. He's been "meh" at best, which is concerning. I don't sense much chemistry on that line at all, btw.

These lines are going to be a serious work in progress.

PS Wonder if Austin Cnarnik might somehow poke his nose into the fourth line?

bizman

Feb 27, 2009
montreal
A Cody Franson rental netted a first last year. You can't keep every pick. Chia took a shot with a young player that we could develop and control. Hopefully it pans out but it's not the end of the world if he busts. Czarnik and Vatrano have 2nd round talent and were picked up for nothing.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The eye test isn't doing him justice. He seems to just throw the puck on net and not think about passing or setting up a play

“We’ll see. I think if anything, I thought [the Spooner line] looked better than yesterday, you know. I’ve said that they seem to be finding themselves a little bit better, and [seem] to be adjusting to each other’s styles a little bit better,” said Julien. “I thought Brett [Connolly] played much better than in that first game, you know and he was a good, strong contributor [against the Rangers]. So if we can continue to have those guys improve like that on a game-to-game basis in preseason, we might have a decent line there.”

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/julien-could-group-spooner-hayes-and-connolly

someone else may disagree;)

I didn`t even notice Connolly in his first game but last game, he was involved with he and Hayes playing an improved game.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
I believe that's his specialty...so why not? I haven't been impressed either but way too early to right him off. Plus other's are seeing some positive signs.

Of course it's too early to write him off, just that I've seen a lack of vision. He has a great shot so he should use it but last game he went for the low percentage side shot instead of passing it to an open Hayes for an easy tap in. I get he want to impress so he is probably doing more then he should. Hoping he works out!

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
“We’ll see. I think if anything, I thought [the Spooner line] looked better than yesterday, you know. I’ve said that they seem to be finding themselves a little bit better, and [seem] to be adjusting to each other’s styles a little bit better,†said Julien. “I thought Brett [Connolly] played much better than in that first game, you know and he was a good, strong contributor [against the Rangers]. So if we can continue to have those guys improve like that on a game-to-game basis in preseason, we might have a decent line there.â€

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/julien-could-group-spooner-hayes-and-connolly

someone else may disagree;)

I didn`t even notice Connolly in his first game but last game, he was involved with he and Hayes playing an improved game.

Hopefully he continues to get better. Spooner is amazing though, he keeps getting better in my eyes. Showed some clutch scoring and he's so Savardian in the way he plays.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Of course it's too early to write him off, just that I've seen a lack of vision. He has a great shot so he should use it but last game he went for the low percentage side shot instead of passing it to an open Hayes for an easy tap in. I get he want to impress so he is probably doing more then he should. Hoping he works out!

wanna bet the coaching staff told him to shoot more? Even so, Hayes actually had more shots than Connolly last game. I watched both of them looking far more comfortable against the Rangers than their previous outing

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
wanna bet the coaching staff told him to shoot more? Even so, Hayes actually had more shots than Connolly last game. I watched both of them looking far more comfortable against the Rangers than their previous outing

That's a good point, I bet they want to get him going. Does Hayes have a good shot or is he more of a garbage goal clean up guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad