Brett Connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Did Brett Connolly do something to upset Bruins fans that I'm not aware of?

didn`t go 5-5-10 in his five game stint last year and hasn`t dominated pre-season with brand spanking new linemates (although I "think" he and Spoons played before during Junior years)

It`s really pretty plain to see Mike:sarcasm:

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I haven't watched any pre-season, and I'm not judging him based on 8 games following a trade and an immediate injury.

He sucked in those 8 games, but I can't imagine a worst scenario to try and impress.

I'm just saying that if he is a 15 goal guy here that trade sucks. Is that "hating" on a guy? Sounds like its hating on the price paid for him.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
trading 2 seconds for someone who hasn't performed at all in the nhl is usually never good.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I haven't watched any pre-season, and I'm not judging him based on 8 games following a trade and an immediate injury.

He sucked in those 8 games, but I can't imagine a worst scenario to try and impress.

I'm just saying that if he is a 15 goal guy here that trade sucks. Is that "hating" on a guy? Sounds like its hating on the price paid for him.

Nope, I`d expect a consistent 20-25 goal campaign for that price to make some sense

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
What really worries me is that was the guy Yzerman was willing to move, even as he was expecting to compete for a cup, and not just last year, but for a nice window here.

Yzerman is struggling with where to slot Stamkos in the lineup. That team is an embarrassment of riches right now, and their management knows they will have to pay these young guys soon. I don't think that it's the same as not being able to crack the top 6 on other teams.

Last edited:

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
The eye test isn't doing him justice. He seems to just throw the puck on net and not think about passing or setting up a play

Connolly is not a center, not in the Bruins lineup to be a playmaker. That's Spooners job on that line. Julien has Connolly set up high in the slot to do just that - get the puck on net. That's how rebounds happen.

The eye ball test is that Connolly has done zilch along the boards to get the puck over to Spooner nor help keep the puck in the offensive zone during the forecheck.

His mindset, seems to me, that he has already made the top 9. He shouldn't be thinking this way at all or he will be back on the 4th in to time at all.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Yzerman is struggling with where to slot Stamkos in the lineup. That team is an embarrassment of riches right now, and their management knows they will have to pay these young guys soon. I don't think that it's the same as not being able to crack the top 6 on other teams.

Sure, but still, out of all the guys, he was the one he let go. It might be nothing, but I worry it's something.

Again, I am giving Connelly a clean slate to start the season. I hope he ends up being a real good player. But I am a little worried.

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
Sure, but still, out of all the guys, he was the one he let go. It might be nothing, but I worry it's something.

Again, I am giving Connelly a clean slate to start the season. I hope he ends up being a real good player. But I am a little worried.

Absolutely. I want to see this guy succeed in our system. That said, he has a lot to prove.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
You have to take contract into account with drawing the line from Boychuk to Connolly. Unless you had a time machine to not sign Sedenberg or know that Hamilton didn't want to sign, Boychuk was gone. It's one year of Boychuk for multiple cheap years of Connolly. If he becomes a 20 goal guy on the 3rd line, that's a success.

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
You have to take contract into account with drawing the line from Boychuk to Connolly. Unless you had a time machine to not sign Sedenberg or know that Hamilton didn't want to sign, Boychuk was gone. It's one year of Boychuk for multiple cheap years of Connolly. If he becomes a 20 goal guy on the 3rd line, that's a success.

That's a great point. I wonder what Boychuk would have signed for if he had been ofered an extension here? I'm guessing it would be under 5 mill.

PIMsCup

Nov 18, 2014
LA / NH Boston?
I mean, he got seven. I can't imaging someone likes a place so much to lose out on millions of dollars a year. 5.5 at the minimum, I think, but we will never know, will we.

He has seven in actual dollars.but 6 million is his cap hit. I think that Snow gave him more than other teams would have, and, on top of that, I think he would have (during that awkward time before he got traded) signed in Boston for a discount. Those two issues make be believe he would have come in at or just below 5 mill aav.

Edit: But yes, #55 at 5.5 would have been great for us at this point.

Last edited:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
maybe lets get out of the preseason and see some real games before we write this kid off as a bust.

he's only 23 and has played a whopping 5 games with the Bruins. :shakehead

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
maybe lets get out of the preseason and see some real games before we write this kid off as a bust.

he's only 23 and has played a whopping 5 games with the Bruins. :shakehead

it won't matter after 20 games as a Bruin. He lacks the IQ to be worthy of a guy that was picked 5th overall. The lightening gave up on a him for a reason. I rather choose Ferlin to make the Bruins lineup vs Connolly

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

Yep, I think this is clearly relevant context.

Other important context: Chiarelli acquired Connolly knowing his back was against the wall. That is, the B's were borderline playoffs and he failed to pull off bigger moves (or was blocked from doing so on Vermette by Neely?), so Connolly might be seen as a panic buy-- just so Chiarelli could say he did "something" at the deadline, knowing fans would be pissed.

Moreover, the fact that Yzerman was willing to make the move without shopping Connolly more widely suggests the bounty he got from Boston was better than (or no worse than) he predicted get would from anyone, if he shopped Connolly around at the deadline.

I'm willing to be patient, but from what I've seen so far, I'm not convinced Connolly has the hockey IQ to be a top 6 forward for the B's. I'm not sure another third liner is a great return on two 2nd rounders, given we seem to have a logjam of bottom 6 forwards right now.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

Particularly since he was someone we were semi counting on rising to the occasion this year .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad