Brett Connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Doubt he sees it that way. The opportunities are way greater than they would ever be for him in Tampa.

disagree there. The biggest knock on Tampa during their playoff run was that they didn't get enough scoring from their bottom 6. Drouin was a healthy scratch multiple times. I think that would have been a great opportunity for Connolly to cement his place in the lineup. If he'd popped in a couple goals as a 3rd liner during that run I think his stock would have gone up a lot.

He'll get plenty of playing time here too, but the team is trending downwards big-time.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
If he or Spooner are signed any more than 1.5 each then we are in a tough spot. Wouldn't mind if they paid Spooner more but got a longer contract cos I believe he is a lock her for the next 5 years (with Krejci only getting older etc) but Connolly is still a bit of a punt.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
If he or Spooner are signed any more than 1.5 each then we are in a tough spot. Wouldn't mind if they paid Spooner more but got a longer contract cos I believe he is a lock her for the next 5 years (with Krejci only getting older etc) but Connolly is still a bit of a punt.

Given that neither really got NHL play until last year I doubt either gets 1.5 or more.

I think term will influence amount but I expect both to come in around a million. Spooner and Connelly both have to prove they fit and can fit where the team needs them for a whole season.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins’ Brett Connolly out to prove himself this season
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...ett_connolly_out_to_prove_himself_this_season

“I expected a one-year deal and I kind of wanted a one-year deal, too, just to have a year for myself to prove to the organization that I want to be here long-term. Not only that, but prove to myself that I can play a bigger role on this team,†said Connolly, after an informal workout at Ristuccia Arena today.

Connolly knows that the pressure is on for him to make an impact. His draft ranking doesn’t matter anymore. Connolly scored 52 goals for Syracuse (AHL) in 137 games over two years, but didn’t start showing some of his goalscoring abilities with Tampa until last year, when he had a dozen goals in 50 games. Then came the trade and the injury, effectively derailing his season.

“Any time you’re on a one-year deal, and with the situation I was in last year, getting traded here and getting hurt right away — it was a weird year — but there’s always pressure,†said Connolly. “And playing here in Boston has that added pressure of playing in a big market. But it’s something I’m excited for. For myself, I think it’s a very good opportunity and somethng I’m hoping to grasp here.â€

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Well I'm real optimistic about Brett thinking he could be great with one of our centers, I hope his injury problems are over and his development can continue as it should have. That may be too much to ask though.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'm hopping Connolly is a late bloomer ala Andrew Ladd and Blake Wheeler. Both guys who were early draft picks that took a while to really live up to their draft potential but have turned out to be very good NHL players. If Connolly can have the lightbulb turn on for him here in the next year or two then he'll be a steal for us.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm hopping Connolly is a late bloomer ala Andrew Ladd and Blake Wheeler. Both guys who were early draft picks that took a while to really live up to their draft potential but have turned out to be very good NHL players. If Connolly can have the lightbulb turn on for him here in the next year or two then he'll be a steal for us.

Like to see it click this year for him but for me I can`t agree that a 23 year old can be put in the category of "late bloomer"

If were talking about a 26/27 year old player who has almost a decade of pro hockey under his belt then yes

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Like to see it click this year for him but for me I can`t agree that a 23 year old can be put in the category of "late bloomer"

If were talking about a 26/27 year old player who has almost a decade of pro hockey under his belt then yes

I think the fact he looks 36 while being 23 colors that opinion a bit.

Brett_Connolly

Zac Rinaldo*

i like the idea of hayes as an early-pominville guy who has his niche offensively utilized almost purely on the PP. obviously, i hate kelly in the top 9. i trust kirk though ofc and feel like that will be the lineup as well

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
i like the idea of hayes as an early-pominville guy who has his niche offensively utilized almost purely on the PP. obviously, i hate kelly in the top 9. i trust kirk though ofc and feel like that will be the lineup as well

Other than jelly in the top 9 and hayes on the fourth i like those lines

Kelly is the problem but often Kirk talks about how Eriksson may get traded because RW side is crowded and hopefully younger players can step up, there's room on the Lw side for Eriksson and Lw side would be strong with Eriksson. Hayes fills a big need for us and is a bit wasted on the 4th line but if we see Kemppainen there it's not completely wasted.

I'm excited to see our forward group and how they can step up, Connolly is one of those players I want to see and hopefully see him find his true potential, get his game going right away and feed from it.
Forward group has so many different stories to be seen.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
by kirkaluedeke:
https://scoutingpost.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/brett-connollys-moment-of-truth/

I like Kirks scoutingpost a lot but I'm again wondering about his line suggestions, basically by reading few of his latest he sees it like

Beleskey-Krecji-Pastrnak
Marchand-Bergeron-Eriksson
Kelly-Spooner-Connolly
Rinaldo-Kemppainen-Hayes
Talbot.

Yeah, I don't get why Kirk thinks that Eriksson will be a RW this season. It makes no sense; otherwise, Chris-bloody-Kelly becomes the third line LW. Oh, wait: Julien would do such a thing (and have Connolly and Hayes on the third and fourth lines).

Lines should be something like:

Eriksson/Beleskey-Krejci-Connolly
Marchand-Bergeron-Hayes
Beleskey/Eriksson-Spooner-Pastrnak
Kelly-Kemp-Ferlin
Talbot

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, I don't get why Kirk thinks that Eriksson will be a RW this season. It makes no sense; otherwise, Chris-bloody-Kelly becomes the third line LW. Oh, wait: Julien would do such a thing (and have Connolly and Hayes on the third and fourth lines).

Marchand-Bergeron-Hayes
Kelly-Kemp-Ferlin
Talbot

Completely agree on line-up except I expect Rinaldo/Talbot to split that 4th RW to start, not Ferlin... but we can dream, right?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
by kirkaluedeke:
https://scoutingpost.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/brett-connollys-moment-of-truth/

I like Kirks scoutingpost a lot but I'm again wondering about his line suggestions, basically by reading few of his latest he sees it like

Beleskey-Krecji-Pastrnak
Marchand-Bergeron-Eriksson
Kelly-Spooner-Connolly
Rinaldo-Kemppainen-Hayes
Talbot.

He does seem very stuck on the Loui is a RW idea. He knows way more about hockey than 99.9% of the people here, but he does seem to be the only person that doesn't move Loui over to LW. If you don't want Loui on the LW, I'd just assume move him for RH D help, like Kirk suggests. If you find some veteran help on D to take the load off of Trotman/C.Miller, I'm OK with Kelly on Spooner's LW as a placeholder for DeBrusk, who I think has the frame to play there in 16-17.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Marchand-Bergeron-Hayes
Kelly-Kemp-Ferlin
Talbot

I would put Connolly/Hayes with Spooner and Pasta with Krejci. Pasta is going to get fed 1st line minutes. Spooner needs someone on that line that can play down low without Lucic around.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Completely agree on line-up except I expect Rinaldo/Talbot to split that 4th RW to start, not Ferlin... but we can dream, right?

Placing Ferlin in the line-up is not realistic on my part. I just can't stand the idea of Rinaldo on the team.

I would put Connolly/Hayes with Spooner and Pasta with Krejci. Pasta is going to get fed 1st line minutes. Spooner needs someone on that line that can play down low without Lucic around.

Do you think that Pastrnak is ready for such a prominent role? I'm not convinced that he is (but would be next year). Couldn't Beleskey play the role that Lucic did last year on the third line? Even Eriksson can do it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Marchand-Bergeron-Hayes
Kelly-Kemp-Ferlin
Talbot

A lot of it depends who is the Rw with Krecji, that's where it starts.
Also after reading the breakout candidates article and DKH's post I'm starting to think more and more that Connolly could be the player for Marchand-Bergeron line.

But if Pasta is Krecji's Rw then I definitely would want to see Beleskey with Spooner to give Spooner chance to play his own game, Julien has told him to use his speed and also from today:
“I’ve known [Don Sweeney] since I was 18, and I talk to him a lot. He told me he just wants me to go out there to compete on pucks, and just use my speed"
,if you give him 2 of the slowest wingers then we are just wasting Spooners talent and again wasting something we desperately need=speed.

He does seem very stuck on the Loui is a RW idea. He knows way more about hockey than 99.9% of the people here, but he does seem to be the only person that doesn't move Loui over to LW. If you don't want Loui on the LW, I'd just assume move him for RH D help, like Kirk suggests. If you find some veteran help on D to take the load off of Trotman/C.Miller, I'm OK with Kelly on Spooner's LW as a placeholder for DeBrusk, who I think has the frame to play there in 16-17.

I'm more expecting Heinen to be there but I really don't want to create holes when you don't have replacements ready in the system, we trade players when we do.
1st we have to see if Connolly can step up and if our top prospects are having strong years, those are big big IF's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad