GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
EXACTLY. Why are we not talking about this more? Why is this even being brushed aside because he's had a bad season? I don't have a bad day at work and knock out my coworker?

Kind of wish I could sometimes...

I'm surprised to see no mention of it. What the hell is he doing? He can't make the big team, so he'll make sure no one does?

Would nice to hear a bit more about what went on there. Scrum that got a bit too pushy?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
EXACTLY. Why are we not talking about this more? Why is this even being brushed aside because he's had a bad season? I don't have a bad day at work and knock out my coworker?
Not really comparable because in hockey it's acceptable to knock out your competitor. I don't know what line of business you're in, but that would be a no go for me.

Reactions: Lerb

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not really comparable because in hockey it's acceptable to knock out your competitor. I don't know what line of business you're in, but that would be a no go for me.

f*** that, if any of those bitches at Baruch wanna go, I'll be happy to awkwardly wrestle them for 20 seconds.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
To this extent, I agree. This wasn't pushing and shoving. They broke bones.
Exactly. If the report was "Smith broke his hand during a scrum in front of the net' that's one thing ... fighting is not that ... I'm not even a fan of it in regular play, at practice it's utter stupidity. You can disagree with me all you want, but if I ran the team and you got in a fight with a teammate, you would have to work your tail off to convince me you're part of the culture I want moving forward and good luck with that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Exactly. If the report was "Smith broke his hand during a scrum in front of the net' that's one thing ... fighting is not that ... I'm not even a fan of it in regular play, at practice it's utter stupidity. You can disagree with me all you want, but if I ran the team and you got in a fight with a teammate, you would have to work your tail off to convince me you're part of the culture I want moving forward and good luck with that.

Not to mention Smith was out of shape and already in "work your tail off mode" and this is what he does.

Character issues are such a meme on HF but we might be looking at a legitimate one.

It's a shame because I still really like his game.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This signing encapsulates why I don't trust Gorton's philosophy in building the defense.

Smith did not deserve the contract he got. He was getting scratched by the Red Wings, who had one of the worst defenses in the NHL. Wings fans said he wasn't deserving of the contract he wanted. The Wings management wouldn't meet the demands either.

There was a clear divide between the eye test on Smith and the underlying advanced stats. The underlying advanced stats said he was a top 4D, despite him not ever earning that role. Those who watched him play for years said otherwise. Gorton sides with the underlying advanced stats, and gives him a huge contract.

Fast forward to this season, and Smith sucks, kind of like we were told he would. I wouldn't say his underlying advanced stats were a complete fluke because there's obviously something to having good underlying advanced stats consistently over the course of a career, maybe he would do well in like a 6D role, but there was always going to be one dumb team that takes that data to mean he deserves to be paid like a top 4D. I'm not sure we should be handing out contracts to defensemen based purely on good underlying advanced stats in a lesser role. It seems like a recipe for disaster in building a defense.

And I think it might extend beyond the defense. All the advanced stats people hated Miller. There were certainly things to critique the guy for, and it was evident by the eye test or advanced stats, but if Gorton ousted him because of that instead of a fallout between him and the organization, that is very questionable, and should cause alarm bells for his management style. Miller is now playing in a different organization, and has started out great. He's a better hockey player than the guy he was traded for. If the trade was made because of coachability, locker room problems instead of advanced stats, its understandable. What is not understandable is making such important decisions based solely or even mostly on data whose impact is not fully known yet, that swings so widely from season to season. These are the same advanced stats that thought Hayes was terrible last season, and now he's great. Zucc has bad advanced stats this season, must mean he sucks?

Last edited:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Canucks had a couple fights in practice in the early 2000s. Jarkko Ruutu tuned up Matt Cooke and Dan Cloutier fought Mike Brown (common name). Barnaby fought Lapointe in Chicago. Primeau fought Probert way back in Detroit. I remember Bill Guerin slashed a rookie in the neck in his first training camp in Dallas. It's not super uncommon.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Not to mention Smith was out of shape and already in "work your tail off mode" and this is what he does.

Character issues are such a meme on HF but we might be looking at a legitimate one.

It's a shame because I still really like his game.
I'm sorry but Character IS important. Talent isn't everything. People have to understand that playing on the ice isn't a video game. These are humans with personalities and emotions and when you have a toxic environment (I have worked in a few) your talents are never utilized to it's fullest potential.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Shit happens. Seems like every year it happens a few times in the league. Didn't Falk and Kane fight this year?

I'd rather Smith be angry and frustrated at where he is at than accept it a'la Redden.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I'm sorry but Character IS important. Talent isn't everything. People have to understand that playing on the ice isn't a video game. These are humans with personalities and emotions and when you have a toxic environment (I have worked in a few) your talents are never utilized to it's fullest potential.

But what character issues are there? He came into camp out of shape but it hasn't been a recurring theme throughout his career or anything like that. And we don't know what the backstory is behind the fight. Who's to say Lettieri didn't cheapshot him and they had a boys will be boys type fight? Fighting is dumb, yes, but this doesn't scream character issues to me. This isn't the first time teammates fight in practice and it won't be the last and I've never heard character issues brought up. I haven't heard of Smith being a negative presence down there off the ice either, quite the opposite actually even if his play on the ice does suck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad