Waived: Brendan Smith (Update: CLEARED)

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Couple things...

Smith is not “known for this” because “this” would be showing up to camp out of shape, so let’s put that to bed right now. I believe it was Babcock who was frustrated with his start to one of his seasons a couple years back, BUT that happens over the course of a career. A slow start has happened to Hank multiple times in his career.

Secondly, dont even try to push your agenda by stating your OPINION that ADA, Gilmour, and Pionk (the latter two playing in just their second NHL games) are out playing Smith. They are not by any means. ADA has made his fair share of poor defensive mistakes. Gilmour took a horrible route in the first period today that led to a great scoring chance. Pionk made a slightly bad decision with a pass in today’s game. But they get a longer leash because they are “younger.”

And still having said all that regarding the youth, it doesnt by any means result in Smith, a proven NHLer, not deserving a chance...

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
What I do understand is that my post is being criticized for coming off as too emotional/ irrational.
Instead of recognizing the real problem, RGY would rather start with the name calling mean while he doesn't know me from a hole in the wall.
But that's not childish or anything..SMH

But you are.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Guys.. I'm done talking about it.
Common sense has left this thread long ago.
I'm just not as forgiving as some of you are especially when it comes to the biggest brain dead slacker I've ever seen.
I can't wait until they trade him for a bag of pucks..

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Common sense would imply that a group of people agree with a general conception or understanding of all of this that is being reiterted over and over again by one guy. That is certainly not the case here.

Last edited:

NYR2007

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
Anyone that watches the minor league games wanna fill us in how he’s played

The rangers will definitely give him another opportunity if he gets his game back together. I don’t know why you guys are going back and forth arguing this

Reactions: haveandare

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Guys.. I'm done talking about it.
Common sense has left this thread long ago.
I'm just not as forgiving as some of you are especially when it comes to the biggest brain dead slacker I've ever seen.
I can't wait until they trade him for a bag of pucks..

It's not about forgiving man

If we could trade him for a 'bag of pucks' and retain no salary then sign me up but considering he just cleared waivers that's not going to happen.

I am going off the basis that we are stuck with his cap hit right now.

The ONLY possible solutions are to give him another chance to bring some sort of solid play for the cap hit were paying OR have him regain some trade value since its been proven he currently has NEGATIVE value.

There is literally no way you can have any other take on the matter.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Smith got injured in Hartford tonight. Didn't play in the third period. No idea how serious.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
IMO, Smith is capable of turning this ship around. Maybe not ever quite being worth what he is paid, but at least being an NHL defenseman.

The question is whether or not he is committed to that idea. I mean truly committed. Not just the "of course he wants to play in the NHL" train of thought.

Ultimately, that will be up to him. He's young enough to do it. Warts and all, he is talented enough to play in the NHL. So now he needs to go to work.

Reactions: haveandare

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
IMO, Smith is capable of turning this ship around. Maybe not ever quite being worth what he is paid, but at least being an NHL defenseman.

The question is whether or not he is committed to that idea. I mean truly committed. Not just the "of course he wants to play in the NHL" train of thought.

Ultimately, that will be up to him. He's young enough to do it. Warts and all, he is talented enough to play in the NHL. So now he needs to go to work.
Totally agreed. Look, he took the summer off and he blew it. That's inexcusable - thats why he's riding a bus in Hartford right now.

But how many players honestly went from playing pretty good NHL hockey for years then excellent hockey for 1/4 of a season plus playoffs against way harder competition and then totally lost it immediately thereafter? The odds of him overestimating himself after getting a fat contract and taking it too easy this summer are a lot higher than the odds of him losing all his talent over the course of a few months.

Like you said, if he commits to it wholesale he can come back and be serviceable Imo.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
is this guy ****ting the bed down there or what?
He gets there and the pack start losing. I know there is more to it than that but damn. I really thought he was amazing in the playoffs last year. maybe i need to go back and watch those games .

Reactions: ZiGOODejad

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Couple things...

Smith is not “known for this” because “this” would be showing up to camp out of shape, so let’s put that to bed right now. I believe it was Babcock who was frustrated with his start to one of his seasons a couple years back, BUT that happens over the course of a career. A slow start has happened to Hank multiple times in his career.

Secondly, dont even try to push your agenda by stating your OPINION that ADA, Gilmour, and Pionk (the latter two playing in just their second NHL games) are out playing Smith. They are not by any means. ADA has made his fair share of poor defensive mistakes. Gilmour took a horrible route in the first period today that led to a great scoring chance. Pionk made a slightly bad decision with a pass in today’s game. But they get a longer leash because they are “younger.”

And still having said all that regarding the youth, it doesnt by any means result in Smith, a proven NHLer, not deserving a chance...

This REALLY doesn't align with the way AV treats youth. Grizzled vets can play like trash and get spoonfed minutes but as soon as a kid makes a mistake or has a rough game, they are benched/sent down.

trilobyte

NYR Fan In the Foothills
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Smith has been given a chance every day he was added to the roster since he arrived. He stunk it up.
Nobody should equate a callup's (Pionk, Gilmour et al) mistake with Smith's precipitous dropoff in performance that was evident over quite a long span of games.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Apparently there is some sort of reset period allowed after signing a multi million dollar contract :laugh:

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
I think Smith might be able to improve his game with a new HC. I'm willing to place all of the blame on AV for Smith's struggles considering every defender we've had struggles with AV.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I think Smith might be able to improve his game with a new HC. I'm willing to place all of the blame on AV for Smith's struggles considering every defender we've had struggles with AV.

It's not just the coach, the guy mailed it in this summer from everything I heard. Needs an attitude adjustment, hoping riding the bus in Hartford does the job.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas

So why he is he struggling under a different coach against AHL competition in Hartford?

I know getting sent down is probably a bummer but if you ever wanna come back up, you probably wanna prove you belong and not stink up the AHL.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
And we have a host of young LD now, in addition to Staal and Skjei. If that’s how he responds to getting a fat contract, and he has never been a particularly special NHLer to begin with, except for a handful of playoff games for us, I don’t really care if he spends the rest of his career in the AHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad