Waived: Brendan Smith (Update: CLEARED)

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
When you have all the puzzle pieces, and can't put it together yourself, so anyone who can is "full of it"

You thought Brendan Smith was going to play as poorly as he did and get waived less than a year into his 4 year deal? Something like this happening is almost unheard of when you look at how he played down the stretch. You can argue the merits of the deal and whether he was worth it or not (I'm in the camp, like I said, it was an overpayment) but you can't tell me you're expecting someone to completely fall off a cliff like this when they're coming back to the same system, generally same players, and same coach.

Not to mention I don't think anyone could have predicted Smith to come in 20 pounds overweight and be completely out of shape coming into camp. I don't think that was one of the puzzle pieces I had.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You forgot to mention that Smith was pretty damn good for this team last year after we acquired him, especially in the playoffs. He has been a train wreck this year but I could understand why Gorton signed him to that contract considering the state of the defense and how well he played last year. Not every trade or signing works out. Gorton did a good job at the the TDL and I'm confident he will continue to do a competent job with the rebuild.

He didn't play as well as people like to state. He was mediocre in the regular season, and then slightly above-average in the playoffs, but fans act like Smith was a Conn Smythe contender when we got eliminated because he got into a fight or two during the playoffs. Smith was part of the problem with the "state of the defense."

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
You thought Brendan Smith was going to play as poorly as he did and get waived less than a year into his 4 year deal? Something like this happening is almost unheard of when you look at how he played down the stretch. You can argue the merits of the deal and whether he was worth it or not (I'm in the camp, like I said, it was an overpayment) but you can't tell me you're expecting someone to completely fall off a cliff like this when they're coming back to the same system, generally same players, and same coach.
My thoughts were that it was an obvious overpayment in terms of money and length. That Smith would not perform as well as he used to in an AV system. Did I think he'd be waived this season? No. Did I think he'd quickly become player hated #1 on HF? Oh yeah. That was obvious.

I also believe that Smith isn't half as bad as HFNYR makes him out to be, and if we have a new coach next year, is likely back to being an every day dman for this team.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
We can all agree the contract was a bit of an over payment. But if you knew he would come into camp out of shape, not focused, get waived, get buried in Hartford and start fights with teammates and break his hand, I am calling you out on your shit.

Reactions: haveandare

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
My thoughts were that it was an obvious overpayment in terms of money and length. That Smith would not perform as well as he used to in an AV system. Did I think he'd be waived this season? No. Did I think he'd quickly become player hated #1 on HF? Oh yeah. That was obvious.

I also believe that Smith isn't half as bad as HFNYR makes him out to be, and if we have a new coach next year, is likely back to being an every day dman for this team.

That's all fair, no disagreements there. I must have taken your post out of context so for that I apologize. My ultimate point is I don't think ANYONE could have reasonably predicted the fall that's happened this year whether you agreed with giving him that contract or not. This is pretty crazy what's happened with him.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
That's all fair, no disagreements there. I must have taken your post out of context so for that I apologize. My ultimate point is I don't think ANYONE could have reasonably predicted the fall that's happened this year whether you agreed with giving him that contract or not. This is pretty crazy what's happened with him.
It's more about the dramatic drop in his career ... he went from being at worst a third pairing D man on a bad contract to ... well ... literally his whole life spiraling out of control. Nobody saw that.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
"We can all agree that contract was a bit of an over payment"

Yeah? go back to June 28th, post this, and tell me what your notifications look like.

Little bit more than I hoped for. But the term is good.

A little bit richer than I was hoping, but I can live with that deal. Welcome back Brendan.

Not crazy about the AAV, but fine with it if this is our one big signing of the summer. RFA's not withstanding. Should be a solid veteran presence for the youth movement! :nod:

Fine

Don't love the AAV but he's good and it's short, so i'll live

A tiny bit much per year but 4 years isn't bad at all. Happy to have him back. We need players who are hard to play against and he definitely fits that label.

Ouch. Expensive. Oh well, what's done is done. Hope he earns it.

Very happy to have him back. Would have preferred 4M but wouldn't have been upset unless it was over 4.5.

A little expensive, but not the worst.

Glad he is back, a little over payment but he was very good here. Does this likely mean Rangers are out on Shattenkirk?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/rangers-sign-brendan-smith-4-years-x-4-35m.2208069/page-18

Those were all within the first page of him signing. Everyone was in that ballpark of 4ish million it seemed. You maxed out at 3.8 on that page in terms of what you'd give him. A lot more people were in the camp of "yeah, we overpaid a bit but he fit in really well here so we're fine with it" rather than jumping for joy.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/rangers-sign-brendan-smith-4-years-x-4-35m.2208069/page-18

Those were all within the first page of him signing. Everyone was in that ballpark of 4ish million it seemed. You maxed out at 3.8 on that page in terms of what you'd give him. A lot more people were in the camp of "yeah, we overpaid a bit but he fit in really well here so we're fine with it" rather than jumping for joy.
Good research. Not how I remember it. Eye-test is bad, man.

Still remember taking a lot of shit, but we remember the bad more than the good.

Reactions: haveandare

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
im surprised he's been a regular in the NHL for so long honestly. he's always been right on the fringe of being serviceable at this level. The offense never translated, and he's decent at one thing which is being active at his blueline. apart from that he's a very underwhelming NHL defenseman.
this is complete nonsense.

he's been at the absolute worst a #5 his whole career.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Now can’t even trade him for a bag of Pucks. Did not see this happening. Underperforming or not playing up to a contract is one thing but he was a liability out there and now his crap with him breaking his hand.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
"Forgot".

But you are spot in, Brendan Smith was absolutely incredible in his role during his stint here prior to this season.

So with that in mind:

Here you have a player who played like a real stud for a good stretch. Went over and beyond what anyone expected of him. And was due a contract.

Do the GM sit after the season, view the player up for a contract, compare him to his current defense men, and let him walk? Or do you sign a player who has shown what he can do on a NYR team in a NYR system? If the option was to let him walk after the play he showed he never had an actual chance to stay with the organization. Considering that Smith was traded to NYR for a playoff push, for a 2nd rounder 2018, and 3rd 2017; What do you actually expect Gorton to do? NOT extend the player that showed he could be a gamer to a caphit that the NYR can afford?

Smith has disappointed literally everyone who believed in him before this season, fans, teammates, and not least Gorton who set him up financially for life. Brendan Smith has a lot of work to do with his character during the summer before camp. If he has any pride in his body, he will spend this summer doing what needs to be done to come into camp in the shape of his life.

Signing Smith with the present conditions and history with the NYR was the right thing to do, the failures to come into the season prepared rests entirely on Smith.

NYR has history with taking in reclamation projects that turn them into solid contributors. Benoit Pouliot is a good example of a player that got a chance with the team and really made something of himself here as a solid role player during the 13-14 season, before taking too much money from Edmonton and dwindled with too much responsibility.

Spot on. Another forgotten fact I saw that just prior to Smith’s signing the right side depth looked like Holden-ADA and Gorton was on a record he wasn’t going to pay top dollar and give 6-7 year contract to Shattenkirk.

It’s good to be right with a benefit of hindsight.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
He didn't play as well as people like to state. He was mediocre in the regular season, and then slightly above-average in the playoffs, but fans act like Smith was a Conn Smythe contender when we got eliminated because he got into a fight or two during the playoffs. Smith was part of the problem with the "state of the defense."

He did play well both in the regular season and playoffs and was one of this teams best defenders but nobody confused him with Erik Karlsson so lets not get crazy now. He was just solid. Dmen usually struggle initially in AV's system but Smith looked comfortable pretty quickly IMO. He defended the goal crease area very well unlike every other Dmen that we had/have. I was happy when he was resigned even though it was a slight over payment but that is what happens when you are trying to sign a UFA Dman when your defense stinks. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Its not 20/20. Many here said it was a bad signing to begin with. Smith's actual contribution was pretty small, but it took on mythical status. He got into a fight or two, he pushed a few players out of the crease, he did well in the corsi stats, 4 years 4 million dollar extension, despite not actually deserving anywhere near that.

Reactions: Off Sides

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Its not 20/20. Many here said it was a bad signing to begin with. Smith's actual contribution was pretty small, but it took on mythical status. He got into a fight or two, he pushed a few players out of the crease, he did well in the corsi stats, 4 years 4 million dollar extension, despite not actually deserving anywhere near that.

Simply not true. What was mostly noted was small overpayment due to UFA. AFTER Shattenkirk was signed THEN questions were raised about impact of the signing in LATER years (already having some hindsight after Smith was signed).

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

Simply not true. You might want to watch the Montreal series again. That series was very physical and Smith was an absolute beast.

Reactions: TheTakedown

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Many of us saw a good-skating, puck-controlling, willing-to-stand-up-for-teammates, coming-into-his-own defender. We were probably wearing the rose-colored glasses a bit. C’est la vie. Hope he gets serious from here on out. Everyone deserves a second chance.

Reactions: Larrybiv

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Gotta be fairly embarrassing to have all your teammates know you got demoted bc you suck. Then you walk into a room of minor leaguers who know you're only there because you suck.Then you tell your wife you have to get on a bus everyday bc you suck. Your family calls you all day for your birthday and it's awkward bc they're trying to comfort you. But the unspoken truth is they know and you know that they're only stuck trying to comfort you because you suck. I can hear Aunt Gertie Smith now "Awww, what happened?" and Brendan Smith has to sit there silently for a second or two thinking about how he sucks. Then he says "idk". That's a lot of reminders that Brendan Smith sucks.

Turns out the guys in the minors saw this post and "Aunt Gertie Smith" and "Bc Brendan Smith sucks" became memes. Drove Smith crazy.

There's Letty skating up behind him, gives him a tap on the ass, causing Smith to almost fall over. Vin starts chuckling like an idiot and goes "cuz Brendan Smith sucks." Smith flings his stick in the air, yells with reckless abandon and starts throwing punches. He pulls Vinny's head down and decides he doesn't want to bust Letterooski's teeth so he purposely punches the helmet (not thinking of concussions) and breaks his hand. All bc Brendan Smith sucks

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Sona fight at a hockey practice happens. Which by the way happens ALL THE TIME and some of you want to do complain about fighting. Hahahahahahah. This place is sick. Have any of you ever been involved in high level sports. This is a common thing. Sucks for Smith he got hurt.

The year the Rangers won the cup it has been CONFIRMED that Mark Messier kicked guys asses in the lockeroom regularly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2