Recalled/Assigned: Brendan Lemieux Recalled

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Give the kid a chance? Look at his history of PIM's. We're all happy he's not taking penalties, we just don't think he's proven he can keep it up considering his past. This has nothing to do with his dad, he gets rattled in games and takes stupid penalties.

Over the past 5 years Lemieux is averaging 1.98 minutes per game. Buff averaging 1.37 minutes per game. One of these two players has the advantage of 11 extra years to mature and should have the decision making skills that comes with that maturity.
I'm not saying that Lemieux has turned the corner, but give the kid a chance. He's just 21 years old.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Give the kid a chance? Look at his history of PIM's. We're all happy he's not taking penalties, we just don't think he's proven he can keep it up considering his past. This has nothing to do with his dad, he gets rattled in games and takes stupid penalties.

He hasn't taken one single penalty in the NHL.

There are people here who want two sets of rules on the team. One for him and one for everyone else. It's ridiculous. He's crucified already. He's done nothing to deserve it.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Maybe Lemieux could be a option for standing in front of the goalie for PP's sometime , like Ladd did so well for us . :popcorn:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Over the past 5 years Lemieux is averaging 1.98 minutes per game. Buff averaging 1.37 minutes per game. One of these two players has the advantage of 11 extra years to mature and should have the decision making skills that comes with that maturity.
I'm not saying that Lemieux has turned the corner, but give the kid a chance. He's just 21 years old.

Is there a single person on this forum that says "Buff doesn't take stupid penalties"? Lemieux has so far into his career as well. It's stating a fact, not attacking him. This is the original post :

Lemieux has always been one of the top player interviews. Hope he keeps his head because that has been a challenge for him for most of his career.

Is he saying not to give him a chance? No, he's saying he's worried about his careers worth of taking bad penalties so far, and he's absolutely right to be with our penalty history.

There are people here who want two sets of rules on the team. One for him and one for everyone else. It's ridiculous. He's crucified already. He's done nothing to deserve it.

He's not played one single game in the NHL. We're not "crucifying him", we both quite literally stated we hope he keeps it up and tones down on the penalties, but that 5 games into his second AHL season isn't proof he's done that yet. I hope he continues to be disciplined.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
It's funny... the general reputation around here is that Lemieux is a head-case, but every time I see an interview with him he comes across as a very thoughtful, humble young man.
I've never hear he is a head case? Seems super smart. Brings something this team doesn't have a bunch of, grit. Better player than Tanev as well.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013

Keep in mind, many of Brendan's penalties are fights, so they are offsetting. Buff rarely fights so they are PK situations. Big difference.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I've never hear he is a head case? Seems super smart. Brings something this team doesn't have a bunch of, grit. Better player than Tanev as well.
Lots of history of him being a head case.

Was a knock on him in his draft year. Known for bad roughing/slashing penalties in junior. Long history of excessive PIMs.

Not sure if counts but there were several reports he refused to sign with the sabres and that was why he was included in the trade.

It's funny cus I've watched some of his games and he totally played like a head case in junior but he's a ridiculously calm and professional interview.

The disconnect between what I saw of lemieux off ice and what I saw on ice was really quite interesting. Total jekyl and Hyde.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Man. Jets have had penalty trouble and history with a lack of discipline and they decide to call this guy up? Guess they really want to practice their PK some more.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Lots of history of him being a head case.

Was a knock on him in his draft year. Known for bad roughing/slashing penalties in junior. Long history of excessive PIMs.

Not sure if counts but there were several reports he refused to sign with the sabres and that was why he was included in the trade.

It's funny cus I've watched some of his games and he totally played like a head case in junior but he's a ridiculously calm and professional interview.

The disconnect between what I saw of lemieux off ice and what I saw on ice was really quite interesting. Total jekyl and Hyde.

Not a headcase at all. Playing tough aggressive hockey doesn't mean you're a head case.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I haven't watched him much in junior, but I haven't seen any lack of discipline in any of his games with the Jets (pre-season).

I think he's going to take penalties because he wants to play with "sand-paper", and the Jets probably want a bit of that too. The question is whether he's going to draw as many as he takes. If he's more like Tkachuk than Marchand in the penalty department, it'll be fine...

2016/17 minor penalties:

Marchand: taken 30 drawn 19 (-11)
Tkachuk: taken 34 drawn 38 (+4)

He won't be any kind of asset if he's taking a lot more penalties than he draws.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Not a headcase at all. Playing tough aggressive hockey doesn't mean you're a head case.
Did you watch his games? Frequently ran guys without the puck, ridiculously over agressive after whistles, stick was a battle axe.

A lot of that isn't "tough agressive hockey" it's blowing your top when your trying to agitate and you just end up agitating yourself.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I haven't watched him much in junior, but I haven't seen any lack of discipline in any of his games with the Jets (pre-season).

I think he's going to take penalties because he wants to play with "sand-paper", and the Jets probably want a bit of that too. The question is whether he's going to draw as many as he takes. If he's more like Tkachuk than Marchand in the penalty department, it'll be fine...

2016/17 minor penalties:

Marchand: taken 30 drawn 19 (-11)
Tkachuk: taken 34 drawn 38 (+4)

He won't be any kind of asset if he's taking a lot more penalties than he draws.

He didn't look nearly as ludicrous in his preseason games this year as he was in junior.

My previous comments aside I'm willing to give him the benefit the doubt. I haven't had much faith in him but I'd rather be wrong and the team be better for it.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada

It's getting depressing the amount of negativity on this board. Nothing is good, everything is a blunder by the coach, every player either sucks or is being mis-used. I for one am going to keep a positive outlook on Lemieux until he's at least played a few shifts.

I think that he might be a bit of what this team needs. I bet he'll play his butt off and this team could use a lot more intensity, effort, and determination right now. People will probably rag on him like they rag on Tanev if he doesn't score right away, but these guys are playing hockey the right way IMO even if they don't have the finish of Laine or Ehlers.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
He's not played one single game in the NHL. We're not "crucifying him", we both quite literally stated we hope he keeps it up and tones down on the penalties, but that 5 games into his second AHL season isn't proof he's done that yet. I hope he continues to be disciplined.

I respectfully disagree. These are dogwhistle type comments that are uncalled for at this point. All IMO of course

Hope he keeps his head because that has been a challenge for him for most of his career.

That being said I am sceptical a few games at the beginning of this season = the new kinder, gentler Brendan” Lemieux :laugh:.

We're all happy he's not taking penalties, we just don't think he's proven he can keep it up considering his past. This has nothing to do with his dad, he gets rattled in games and takes stupid penalties.

Did you watch his games? Frequently ran guys without the puck, ridiculously over agressive after whistles, stick was a battle axe.

And this one suggest he should be held to a different standard than everyone else on the team

If he takes a bad penalty, I hope PoMo benches him, the Jets simply cannot afford the penalty box tomfoolery that Lemieux has engaged in far too often in the minors

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
It's getting depressing the amount of negativity on this board. Nothing is good, everything is a blunder by the coach, every player either sucks or is being mis-used. I for one am going to keep a positive outlook on Lemieux until he's at least played a few shifts.

I think that he might be a bit of what this team needs. I bet he'll play his butt off and this team could use a lot more intensity, effort, and determination right now. People will probably rag on him like they rag on Tanev if he doesn't score right away, but these guys are playing hockey the right way IMO even if they don't have the finish of Laine or Ehlers.
"Hope he doesn't take any dumb penalties" = Depressing amount of negativity?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I respectfully disagree. These are dogwhistle type comments that are uncalled for at this point. All IMO of course

And this one suggest he should be held to a different standard than everyone else on the team
I think you're being overly sensitive. Lemieux has a long history of taking dumb penalties and a rap sheet of suspensions a mile long in the OHL. People hoping he's turned over a new leaf and that he's going to bring some grit without the bullshit isn't some kind of dogwhistle for Maurice critics - it's a completely reasonable notion.

And how many shifts does Dano get after taking a dumb penalty? Although he's generally stapled to the bench anyway so it's tough to say...

umwolfe4

Dec 16, 2014
Wow! Lots of worrying about potential penalties.

Noteworthy fact: We've scored 3 short handed goals and only 2 power play goals.

Maybe this team needs to start taking more penalties. ;)

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I think you're being overly sensitive. Lemieux has a long history of taking dumb penalties and a rap sheet of suspensions a mile long in the OHL. People hoping he's turned over a new leaf and that he's going to bring some grit without the bull**** isn't some kind of dogwhistle for Maurice critics - it's a completely reasonable notion.

And how many shifts does Dano get after taking a dumb penalty? Although he's generally stapled to the bench anyway so it's tough to say...

I'm not being overly sensitive. Looks like I struck a nerve with you however. I said all I'm going to say on this. I hope the kid has a great game and hope papa was able to make it to Winnipeg to see it

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not being overly sensitive. Looks like I struck a nerve with you however. I said all I'm going to say on this. I hope the kid has a great game and hope papa was able to make it to Winnipeg to see it
Well, I am getting a bit tired of seeing you post continually about how you don't like the negative tone of other posts, but you strike that nerve about 50 times per day, so it's kinda gone numb... :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

There are people here who want two sets of rules on the team. One for him and one for everyone else. It's ridiculous. He's crucified already. He's done nothing to deserve it. And this one suggest he should be held to a different standard than everyone else on the team

Two sets of rules? Nobody here is pumped about our penalty situation and everyone complains about it. Ladd use to get crucified for all the lazy stick penalties he took in the O zone, Buff for the lazy penalties, Matty P for all the stick infractions etc....our team lacks discipline! The complaining happens and those guys have a high level talent. Nobody is immune on this current roster when it comes to criticism for disciple challenges that I am aware of?

Our bottom six has struggled and Brandon has earned his shot by all accounts. Good on him but he comes with a history and a story just like every other prospect. I don't think it's off base to bring it up "while hoping for the best"? I thought he looked pretty controlled in the preseason and I hope the trend continues. Like Whileee said he is going to play with an edge and that is his game but make sure the penalty differentials are in check.

GJG

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Two sets of rules? Nobody here is pumped about our penalty situation and everyone complains about it. Ladd use to get crucified for all the lazy stick penalties he took in the O zone, Buff for the lazy penalties, Matty P for all the stick infractions etc....our team lacks discipline! The complaining happens and those guys have a high level talent. Nobody is immune on this current roster when it comes to criticism for disciple challenges that I am aware of?

Our bottom six has struggled and Brandon has earned his shot by all accounts. Good on him but he comes with a history and a story just like every other prospect. I don't think it's off base to bring it up "while hoping for the best"? I thought he looked pretty controlled in the preseason and I hope the trend continues. Like Whileee said he is going to play with an edge and that is his game but make sure the penalty differentials are in check.

GJG

Exactly. Being concerned about lemieux potential penalties is exactly the same as anticipating Kyle Connors goal scoring post.
Kyle scored lots of goals coming in, that is a positive, therefore we hope he continues to score.

Kyle was also a fairly week, speedy lithe guy and got manhandled on occasion, many posters were very concerned about that potentially happening as well.

Lemieux has a track record of bad penalties and blowing his top, posters are concerned about that potentially happening. Lemieux has a history of being a pest, getting under opponents skin, great tip ins, and playing the body. All of us are hoping he brings that.

The only difference is the negative aspect of lemieux history is as obvious and pronounced as the positive aspect of Connors and vice versa.

I'm personally glad posters are able to see both sides of good offensive players and players that bring a little something else.

Creates a much more balanced expectation then assuming every player is going to translate their positives only and their negatives will be removed.

Reactions: ps241

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Well, I am getting a bit tired of seeing you post continually about how you don't like the negative tone of other posts, but you strike that nerve about 50 times per day, so it's kinda gone numb... :laugh:
For me, the issue is that negative posts about the Jets eventually might elicit a push-back, because it is so pervasive. A positive post (especially about Chevy or Maurice) will elicit immediate and vociferous opposition on this Board.

I find it curious that there is a thread on the main board, initiated by a Jets fan, that proposes that the GM of another team (with a 0-6-1 record this season, and 30-48-11 during his tenure) is a top-3 GM in the NHL. Imagine the abuse that would rain down from HF Jets members if someone tried to propose Chevy as a top GM in the NHL.

I understand that part of this is just what happens in a hockey-mad market, but this is a hard place to interact if you tend to take an optimistic view of things. :)

Reactions: Huffer

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Exactly. Being concerned about lemieux potential penalties is exactly the same as anticipating Kyle Connors goal scoring post.
Kyle scored lots of goals coming in, that is a positive, therefore we hope he continues to score.

Kyle was also a fairly week, speedy lithe guy and got manhandled on occasion, many posters were very concerned about that potentially happening as well.

Lemieux has a track record of bad penalties and blowing his top, posters are concerned about that potentially happening. Lemieux has a history of being a pest, getting under opponents skin, great tip ins, and playing the body. All of us are hoping he brings that.

The only difference is the negative aspect of lemieux history is as obvious and pronounced as the positive aspect of Connors and vice versa.

I'm personally glad posters are able to see both sides of good offensive players and players that bring a little something else.

Creates a much more balanced expectation then assuming every player is going to translate their positives only and their negatives will be removed.
Good post. I agree with this. I just think that this board often takes black and white positions on prospects and players, which really doesn't promote positive dialogue about pros and cons.

Reactions: KurtG8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad