Confirmed with Link: Brassard to Pittsburgh for 2018 1st, Gustavsson, Ian Cole

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
All about dollars for Eugene. He is financed to the hilt with nothing to leverage...

Just f'n sell already.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Pit was the team that needed Vegas, not the Sens. They needed cap space to make the deal and there was no chance we were going to retain. I don't even mean cash-wise, I mean trade-wise. Brass was an asset, take him all or not at all. Pit needed Vegas to take on salary and paid them for it.

We got a 1st, blue chip goalie prospect, and a solid defenceman who we will swap for a pick shortly. To me it would seem that the swapped thirds would be the little nudge needed to get a salaried player that we can immediately turn into and asset, over a guy like Hunwick who would have been a cap dump anchor.

I like it, then again I liked the Duchene trade as well so I'm not exactly popular around here. Looking forward to seeing what happens next.

sensfan44

peacetowersens
Aug 12, 2007
Chilliwack BC
Visit site
Pit was the team that needed Vegas, not the Sens. They needed cap space to make the deal and there was no chance we were going to retain. I don't even mean cash-wise, I mean trade-wise. Brass was an asset, take him all or not at all. Pit needed Vegas to take on salary and paid them for it.

We got a 1st, blue chip goalie prospect, and a solid defenceman who we will swap for a pick shortly. To me it would seem that the swapped thirds would be the little nudge needed to get a salaried player that we can immediately turn into and asset, over a guy like Hunwick who would have been a cap dump anchor.

I like it, then again I liked the Duchene trade as well so I'm not exactly popular around here. Looking forward to seeing what happens next.

I would have liked the Duchene trade more if they would have sent Ceci for him as this was who Joe and the gang seemed to have wanted. Knowing that they couldn’t retain Kyle though makes the trade palatable... even if he was one of my personal favs.
I like this deal for Brassard as well.
Now what will PD get for ZSmith? I feel he’s next to move

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
For Gustavsson, Late 1st, 3rd, Ian Cole.
No 3rd because we gave one too. We also gave Dunn
But anyway, it's essentially

6th overall(zib), 2nd
For 2nd(55th Gus), 25th (guesstimate), cole(18th) but cole is 5 years older than zib

As long as we turn those pieces in to quality additions it's fine but not the best way to use your top 10 pick. Those should be the players you hit on and keep

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
No 3rd because we gave one too. We also gave Dunn
But anyway, it's essentially

6th overall(zib), 2nd
For 2nd(55th Gus), 25th (guesstimate), cole(18th) but cole is 5 years older than zib

As long as we turn those pieces in to quality additions it's fine but not the best way to use your top 10 pick. Those should be the players you hit on and keep

Where a player was drafted is completely meaningless when it comes to value after the fact.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah I know just added in there for fun/interest

Fair enough.

I think Dorien did a decent job on the BRassard trade. The team desperately needed legit goalie prospect. If Gus can turn into an above average starter its a home run. That's potentially a piece more valuable than either Zib or Brassard.

Big if tho!

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Fair enough.

I think Dorien did a decent job on the BRassard trade. The team desperately needed legit goalie prospect. If Gus can turn into an above average starter its a home run. That's potentially a piece more valuable than either Zib or Brassard.

Big if tho!

It's a big if, but not nearly as big an if as hoping your future late picks will pan out. This guy is already a top prospect post draft. If you want a franchise goalie it's always going to be a bit of a gamble, but a move like this is what you have to do to swing the odds more in your favour. Then we get another late first, and whatever assets we can turn Cole into (he sounds like he could get us a 2nd and maybe a +).

If we didn't have the EK stuff and EM stuff flying around even Bondra would begrudgingly admit that PD did well here. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad