Confirmed with Link: Brassard to Pittsburgh for 2018 1st, Gustavsson, Ian Cole

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Im guessing our clear need for some depth at G was the deciding factor for Dorion in choosing Gustafson over Sprong?

I wonder if it would have been different had we not had a need?

Here's to hoping he's the next Patty Roy :cheers:

Reactions: DJB

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I appreciate the sincere best wishes.
I was not high on getting gustavsson .. I would have liked the 1st + Rust + a prospect like Bellerive.. Make them worry about moving cap pieces to get it done. Rust is not a star but he is a fast effective player that can play somewhere in the lineup now. No Rust.. then Sprong... I know he's had some attitude issues but I would take a chance on him because of his skill .. and we lack that

I don’t like Sprong but do really like Rust, too. I would have been happy with that deal as well but personally prefer what we got. I definitely understand the skepticism towards goalie prospects but I really think a roll of the dice on a G is necessary. I want a two headed Swedish monster in the crease :)

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Yup .. What if the Sens could have a 23 y/o goalie with the following resume.. instead?
sJx7wX.jpg

Pretty impressive numbers in a higher league and he's a little older and should be more ready one would think...

Ok spill the beans who is that?

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
"a 2019 third-round draft choice from the Pittsburgh Penguins"

Does the wording of the 2019 3rd from Pitts sound funny. Is it the Pens 2019 3rd or is it any 3rd they might possess? Am I reading it wrong or does it sound like Pitts were even smart enough to protect their 3rd by sending a lesser one if they get one and tank a bit next year. Dorion is such a soft touch rookie.

BlazingRoy

Cacaw
Dec 8, 2010
Goalies are such a weird commodity in the NHL. Most have almost no value and the only ones that do are usually the elite ones or the super hyped prospects who havn't done anything but have very good numbers in lower leagues. A deal around Brassard for a high end goalie prospect that isnt a Jarry or a very close semi-guarantee was never going to be popular. This is definitely risky, but in 5 years if we have a superstar goalie, assuming he hasn't left because we couldn't offer him over 2 million and forced him to backup 40+ year old Anderson on another weird extension, then i think people will be much more relaxed and look back on this with hindsight

Reactions: Karl Prime

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm finding it hard to get worked up about this trade at all. Maybe because we knew Brass was a temporary guy for us, maybe because the first rounder is going to be 25-31 range, or getting a big question mark in a goalie (all goalie prospects are question marks).

If it works out, great. If not, we would've said bye to Brass within the year anyways.

Reactions: Icelevel

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
"a 2019 third-round draft choice from the Pittsburgh Penguins"

Does the wording of the 2019 3rd from Pitts sound funny. Is it the Pens 2019 3rd or is it any 3rd they might possess? Am I reading it wrong or does it sound like Pitts were even smart enough to protect their 3rd by sending a lesser one if they get one and tank a bit next year. Dorion is such a soft touch rookie.

they dont even have another 3rd right now

BlazingRoy

Cacaw
Dec 8, 2010
If hypothetically we somehow do Cole + Ryan for a 5th or something does that make this deal better or worse?

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
they dont even have another 3rd right now
They'll get one just to screw Dorion if they can get one worse than theirs otherwise why have that clause. Wouldn't be surprised that they sneaked that one by him. Bet Dorion wouldn't dare do that to a member of his new GM fraternity although it's been pulled on the Sens before when Murray was GM.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
so right now this is Brassard for Gustavus on and 1st and a 3rd plus Cole who we think fetches a 2nD.

I liked Brassard and didn't think we needed to tear it down. Tweak sure, tear down no. I'd of moved Smith and Pageau and let the young guys play next yeay all year

I'd like to know what happened in that dressing room. it certainly sounds like whatever happened soured some relationships.

Joider

Aug 13, 2012
Ottawa
Stone is captain when Karlsson inevitably is traded. Does he stick around for this mess?

I remember a specific Ottawa Sun article where Stone said he wanted to stay even if there was a massive change coming. He'd rather help the team improve than abandon ship. I don't remember the exact article, but if that's true, he's captain material.

BlazingRoy

Cacaw
Dec 8, 2010
Are you hypothetically overvaluing Ian Cole here?

Well I mean not exactly that. But I meant if this leads to a bigger deal to offload ryan. There could be a weird fringe team that would do something if they get a top 4 D and Ryan. Not saying this would happen unless we were incredibly lucky but you never know. Dorion does have a glowing brain after all whether that is good or bad (probably bad)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I guess the thing for me is ... If we didn't have to go through Vegas .. we can reasonably think the return would have been more. I do not know what the options were in this regard.. Obviously it would have been someone other than the Pens.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
If hypothetically we somehow do Cole + Ryan for a 5th or something does that make this deal better or worse?

Seems unrealistic. I think if the Sens believed there was any other way out of Bobby Ryan's contract they wouldn't be trying to work him into a trade for one of the league's best defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad