Confirmed with Link: Brassard to Pittsburgh for 2018 1st, Gustavsson, Ian Cole

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
You're confusing quantity with quality.

7th in 2018 and Moutrey aren't even worth discussing.

PIT 1st and OTT 2nd will probably be less than 10 picks apart, so a 2nd is about the cost that it would take to move up from 34th into the late 1st.

Deal basically boils down to:

Zibanejad for Gustavsson, 2nd, 5M in cap space

It's pretty bad. Young top 2 line centers should return much more if they are traded.
Also it means we have no NHL players to show from it for about 5 years.
That needs to be considered. Because we had a young top 6 C getting 50-60 points and now we have nothing.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Matt Murray out with a concussion, would affect their playoff run quite a bit, and in turn that 1st round pick

I am not celebrating a player getting hurt, but if we can talk about this objectively, the big benefit from Ottawa would be if the Penguins fail to win their division because of this. Even if they get eliminated early, if they win their division they seed as one of the last picks in the round behind the four finalists.

Usually, a divisional winner or two will make it to the finals, so if Pittsburgh wins their division, the pick potentially becomes 5th last in the round even if the Penguins are out in the 1st round of the playoffs.

On a side note, after seeing how the deadline unfolded, I think I am happy with this trade. It's pretty clear Dorion who gets a lot of flack on here for a perceived lack of negotiating skill did not fold with his asking prices on our major pieces. Brassard was the only player out of the rumoured major Senators to get dealt, and we walked away with his rumoured asking price of a 1st, a "top" prospect, and something else.

I don't think it's a home run of a return, but I think it's very solid, and I am happy to see that we're not just going to cave for the sake of moving players which was something I thought was going to happen.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Where the hell are we supposed to talk trade you mods locked us out of all the threads.

tenor.gif

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
FWIW, The Hockey News ranks Gustavsson as the top prospect to be moved at the draft. It's always hard to handicap goalies but the kid sure appears to have everything you want - size, athleticism, and a lot more poised and positionally sound than Lehner. If we have found our goalie of the future this will have been a home run of a trade.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I am not celebrating a player getting hurt, but if we can talk about this objectively, the big benefit from Ottawa would be if the Penguins fail to win their division because of this. Even if they get eliminated early, if they win their division they seed as one of the last picks in the round behind the four finalists.

Usually, a divisional winner or two will make it to the finals, so if Pittsburgh wins their division, the pick potentially becomes 5th last in the round even if the Penguins are out in the 1st round of the playoffs.

On a side note, after seeing how the deadline unfolded, I think I am happy with this trade. It's pretty clear Dorion who gets a lot of flack on here for a perceived lack of negotiating skill did not fold with his asking prices on our major pieces. Brassard was the only player out of the rumoured major Senators to get dealt, and we walked away with his rumoured asking price of a 1st, a "top" prospect, and something else.

I don't think it's a home run of a return, but I think it's very solid, and I am happy to see that we're not just going to cave for the sake of moving players which was something I thought was going to happen.
Ya I'll definitely be cheering for them to fall out in rd 1 or 2. If they're still in after that it would be cool to see Brass win a cup. On the other hand I'd really like for some new teams to start winning the cup. Getting tired of penguins/hawks/kings every year. Pretty lame that 3 teams have won the last 8 of the last 9 cups. Luckily two of them are definitely on the downswing.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The more they lose, the happier I get. Who cares about Brass, his happiness is unimportant to me. He was here less than two years and allegedly isn't even Mr. Nice Guy to begin with. So, Pens Lose = Higher pick for Sens + Another team winning.
I really dislike the Pens in general, so them losing makes me happy regardless of our pick. Hope the crash and burn.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
What does 5 mil in cap space get us? Last year Shattenkirk went for 6.25 as did Radulov. I know that's an extra 1.25 mil, but I'd be willing to toss in a 3rd to cover the difference and have Gustavsson, 2nd and Radulov/Shattenkirk over Zibanejad and a 3rd.

Shattenkirk and Radulov weren't going to sign in Ottawa. We have trouble attracting high level UFAs, so it's doubtful we'd be able to replace Zibanejad with another top 6 forward in free agency.

Cap space still has value though. Could be used to sign lesser talents on July 1st or open up the necessary room to add a good player via trade.

Disingenuous not to consider the salary impact of trades in their evaluation.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Shattenkirk and Radulov weren't going to sign in Ottawa. We have trouble attracting high level UFAs, so it's doubtful we'd be able to replace Zibanejad with another top 6 forward in free agency.

Cap space still has value though. Could be used to sign lesser talents on July 1st or open up the necessary room to add a good player via trade.

Disingenuous not to consider the salary impact of trades in their evaluation.

To be fair, we seemingly haven't gone after high level UFA since Gonchar and Kovalev, unless, I guess, you count Clarkson (thank goodness we missed out on that). I think our budget has always prevented us from going after top guys moreso than our unattractiveness to top UFA. Now, we aren't going to get the guys looking to take massive discounts to play for a contender, but for guys where it's just business and money talks, I think we could do fine if we had the cash to go after them. Maybe we give them an extra year though.

There in lies the problem though, you see 5 mil as a Thomson, Burrows and Pyatt, where as if we're only looking to fill one spot, maybe we can be hunting for bigger game.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Honestly after looking at St-Louis getting a 1rst, Foley and a 4rth for 1 year of Paul Stastny I was a bit dissapointed with our return. Stastny actually makes more money than Brassard even at 50% also.

Thought we could get something more solid for an asset like Brassard under contract st that price for an extra year.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Honestly after looking at St-Louis getting a 1rst, Foley and a 4rth for 1 year of Paul Stastny I was a bit dissapointed with our return. Stastny actually makes more money than Brassard even at 50% also.
We didn't retain the 40% on Brassard and if we did the deal would have been 1st, 3rd, 4th, Gustavsson and Reaves (or equivalent prospect). That is a good haul but we shouldn't have retained on Brassard. That was a good contract and Pittsburgh's problem to figure out.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
We didn't retain the 40% on Brassard and if we did the deal would have been 1st, 3rd, 4th, Gustavsson and Reaves (or equivalent prospect). That is a good haul but we shouldn't have retained on Brassard. That was a good contract and Pittsburgh's problem to figure out.

That has nothing to do with retention though, like I mentionned:

1: Brassard is still making less without retention than Stastny after retention.

Brassard Salary before retention: 3.5
Stastny Salary after retention: 3.75

2: That doesn't change the biggest factor and that is Stastny is a UFA while Brassard still has an extra year. That means 2 cup runs with Brassard vs 1 for Stastny.

Pittsburgh could very well trade Brassard next deadline for a very similar return to what we just got. A late 1rst and a good prospect for a rental 2C (Brassard next season or Stastny) making so little is standard return today in the NHL.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That has nothing to do with retention though, like I mentionned:

1: Brassard is still making less without retention than Stastny after retention.

Brassard Salary before retention: 3.5
Stastny Salary after retention: 3.75

2: That doesn't change the biggest factor and that is Stastny is a UFA while Brassard still has an extra year. That means 2 cup runs with Brassard vs 1 for Stastny.

Pittsburgh could very well trade Brassard next deadline for a very similar return to what we just got. A late 1rst and a good prospect for a rental 2C (Brassard next season or Stastny) making so little is standard return today in the NHL.
Most teams care about cap not salary, particularly teams contending for the cup. Brassard's low salary doesn't increase his value much at all.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Most teams care about cap not salary, particularly teams contending for the cup. Brassard's low salary doesn't increase his value much at all.

Fair enough but the extra year clearly should and the cap is only 1.5M more than Stastny after retention. Definitely could've found a way to get a better return..

I mean whatever at this point.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Fair enough but the extra year clearly should and the cap is only 1.5M more than Stastny after retention. Definitely could've found a way to get a better return..

I mean whatever at this point.
Term remaining seems to have less of an impact on value than it logically should for some reason. I guess teams figure if they want a pending UFA for longer than his remaining term, they can just re-sign him.

In the end, I'm pretty happy with the return, and a return on another player doesn't really affect that. I also suspect that Stastny is seen as a better asset, particularly if he can stay healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad