Player Discussion Brandon Pirri

hagsfan924

Sep 1, 2011
How anyone could still want Glass in the lineup is beyond me.

And if i recall correctly, Pittsburgh didn't have any fighting majors in the playoffs.

Fighting is outdated, overrated and will soon be a thing of the past. Glass sucks.

I don't think really any teams really have fighting majors in the playoffs. So you sit Glass or similar player throughout the playoffs. We should still have someone with a physical presence in our lineup. I know McIlrath can bring that but do we want one of our 6 D in the box for majors? Do we think he'll even be playing?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Wow, unexpected. Pirri is a nice pickup with those terms but yeah, somethings gotta give?.

I was looking forward to Jooris centering that 4th line but Pirri, if healthy is an upgrade there. Jooris is 2-way remember.

Sure, but he's not waiver exempt. The Rangers have exactly two forwards likely to play in the NHL who are waiver exempt: Buch and Vesey. And yes, I get that a lot of teams have bubble guys who have to pass through waivers, and do so successfully after camp cuts. But this is just TOO many guys. I have it as the following (based on talent/development to date):

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Miller-Zibanejad-Zuccarello
Vesey-Hayes-Buchnevich
Pirri-Lindberg*-Fast
Gerbe-Jooris-Grabner
Glass-Hrivik-Jensen

You've got to get all the way down to that last trio before you've got guys who don't have a 100% legitimate expectation that they should be playing in the NHL

(BTW, LOVE this move, pending whatever follows next.)

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
He's not a 1 to 1 replacement no but he's additional depth to help ease the loss of another winger. I only think Zucc because he has a lot of value and is 29 at this point.

IF Zucc was traded I imagine it'd be more like Buch moves into his spot and Pirri is on the third line, rather than Pirri just slotting into where Zucc was.

That's the way I see it. I think Gorton and company are putting a lot of faith in both Buch and Vesey. Pirrin fits next to Hayes and Vesey on the 3rd line.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Something's gotta give with this roster.

I figure 1, maybe even 2 forwards are going to be traded.

It's such poor use of our assets to sign Pirri to a contract over 1.1M, if he might not even make the roster.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
He's not a 1 to 1 replacement no but he's additional depth to help ease the loss of another winger. I only think Zucc because he has a lot of value and is 29 at this point.

IF Zucc was traded I imagine it'd be more like Buch moves into his spot and Pirri is on the third line, rather than Pirri just slotting into where Zucc was.

e: from all I hear about him, Pirri isn't a great skater or great defensively, I don't think he'd be replacing Jooris or something on the 4th line. You'd want him for his shot, not to try to take hard minutes like the Rangers 4th line is used for

Agreed with this.

Also, we have SO much depth now, that I can definitely see both Zucc and Nash being traded, although one may wait until the TDL.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Like someone posted before this guy sounds like another Erik Christensen. So many forwards now. It's good for competition at training camp.

Though I still hope it's a sign that someone's getting moved for help on defense.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Huh why the heck not he has potential

I don't see a problem in the roster gerbe would clear down . Jooris , Jensen , hrvik . Good depth in CT

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I think the fact that he did it only 49 games holds some weight.
My bad. Totally glanced over that.

e: from all I hear about him, Pirri isn't a great skater or great defensively, I don't think he'd be replacing Jooris or something on the 4th line. You'd want him for his shot, not to try to take hard minutes like the Rangers 4th line is used for

Yeah, I do like our forward depth now. Defensive ability and depth on the other hand - yikes.

If you're counting on Buch to take over Zucc's spot, you probably need to wait until mid season to make a trade. Or at least until Buch proves himself.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
The Pirri signing means 1) Fast will never play in the top 9 and 2) Glass should be exiled to the the hockey version of Siberia.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
My bad. Totally glanced over that.

Yeah, I do like our forward depth now. Defensive ability and depth on the other hand - yikes.

If you're counting on Buch to take over Zucc's spot, you probably need to wait until mid season to make a trade. Or at least until Buch proves himself.

I think it depends some amount on how management and coaching view this year...if they see it as a down year, a building year, and will live through some bumps with young players, they might be willing to make moves sooner rather than later

rvdnsx

Jun 30, 2003
Worst case scenario is that Pirri stinks it up and is put on waivers and sent down to the Pack. Someone claims him, no cap hit; if he clears waivers it's only about a 200k cap hit.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I think it depends some amount on how management and coaching view this year...if they see it as a down year, a building year, and will live through some bumps with young players, they might be willing to make moves sooner rather than later

Agreed. And it won't surprise you to learn that I think this would be exactly the right move. If the deals are there now, take them. (And if not, don't.)

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Sure, but he's not waiver exempt. The Rangers have exactly two forwards likely to play in the NHL who are waiver exempt: Buch and Vesey. And yes, I get that a lot of teams have bubble guys who have to pass through waivers, and do so successfully after camp cuts. But this is just TOO many guys. I have it as the following (based on talent/development to date):

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Miller-Zibanejad-Zuccarello
Vesey-Hayes-Buchnevich
Pirri-Lindberg*-Fast
Gerbe-Jooris-Grabner
Glass-Hrivik-Jensen

You've got to get all the way down to that last trio before you've got guys who don't have a 100% legitimate expectation that they should be playing in the NHL

(BTW, LOVE this move, pending whatever follows next.)

You are correct sir. A convoy of forwards

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
not surprised really. theres always been smoke around this kid with us.

finally happened. no brainer move really. no downside.

exceptionally talented kid. great shot and pretty creative. so-so effort some times.

dominos ??

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The team seems to be chuck-full-o cheap third liners. It only makes sense that this is a preamble to another move.

Could be they signed Jooris and Gerbe just to be safe, then had the no-brainer to sign Vesey, and then realized Pirri is now willing to sign cheap with them, and he's an upgrade over Jooris/Gerbe, so they made it happen.

Sometimes these guys dont work out. Ryan Malone was thought to be NHL depth, but couldnt even keep up in the AHL.

Right now, not only do i think Glass goes down, but so does Butcher.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Jooris is a totally different player to Pirri and again is a no-brainer NHL'er.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad