Player Discussion Brandon Pirri

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I know it's popular to assume AV will play Glass no matter what, but I don't think it's very likely at this point. The writing is on the wall. For all we know, the Rangers will trade Glass now. His cap hit is 1.45 mil, but he only makes 1 mil in actual salary this year.

If Glass still makes the Rangers, he has videos of AV committing a really bad felony.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I like this signing. Don't know where he fits into the roster though. Seems useless to have him in a 4th line checking role, and doubt he'll be in the top 6. 3rd line seems like a fine fit with Hayes but we just got Vesey signed. Where does he go?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Even though he got a 1 way deal for 1.1 mil, I wonder if this is a signing for Hartford with the caveat that he can help the Rangers in a pinch. Would another team claim him if he was waived? Maybe the higher price is to discourage other teams from claiming him? I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud here.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
You're basically calling him a 4th liner. How many 4th liners last year scored 22 goals?

He scoredf 22 goals two years ago and only had two assists.

Last year between the Panthers and Ducks he had 14 goals and 15 assists.

He gets scratched a lot. I've always heard he's not good defensively and kind of weak on the puck. Erik Christensen kind of ****. I guess we're going to see.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
What is happening? Are the Rangers planning on playing the Torpedo system this season? So many forwards.

Torpedo_system.jpg

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I don't get how anyone can call Pirri and top 6 player when he's never broken 30 points.

But I still like the signing. Cheap bottom 6 option and it's not the worst thing in the world if he has to move up in the top 6 when injuries occur.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't get how anyone can call Pirri and top 6 player when he's never broken 30 points.

But I still like the signing. Cheap bottom 6 option and it's not the worst thing in the world if he has to move up in the top 6 when injuries occur.

I think the idea is that in the icetime he's been given, he's produced like you'd expect a top six player to produce. He hasn't broken 30 points because he hasn't had enough icetime overall to do so.

That doesn't mean he absolutely would produce like a top sixer with more minutes though.

I've got a vague feeling that this could end up meaning Zucc is on the way out, but we'll see

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Wow, unexpected. Pirri is a nice pickup with those terms but yeah, somethings gotta give?.

I was looking forward to Jooris centering that 4th line but Pirri, if healthy is an upgrade there. Jooris is 2-way remember.

hagsfan924

Sep 1, 2011
If Glass still makes the Rangers, he has videos of AV committing a really bad felony.

I am not a Glass fan but I want him or a similarly physical player as our 13th or 14th forward.

Without him, our fourth line is pretty soft. I really like that we will have skill on it but I would like someone who will help make opponents back off. Who in our forward group would be able to step up and fight if necessary? Miller? Kreider? I rather not see them fight.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
This is a great pickup, Gorton needs to grab a defenseman and he'll have done a masterful job this offseason

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Bottom 3 on the depth chart of the 19 listed.

I don't even consider Lapierre really for the reason you mentioned and the fact that he sucks.
I really hate Lapierre so I'm hoping we don't sign him anyway.
I think the idea is that in the icetime he's been given, he's produced like you'd expect a top six player to produce. He hasn't broken 30 points because he hasn't had enough icetime overall to do so.

That doesn't mean he absolutely would produce like a top sixer with more minutes though.

I've got a vague feeling that this could end up meaning Zucc is on the way out, but we'll see

I think people get a little too hyped about his 22 goal season. Like yes, he had a lot of goals. He also scored only 24 points. I don't see how Pirri and Zucc are connected. He's not a Zucc replacement at all.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Well it'll cost 150k to bury him but I kinda like the USDP direction that the team is taking. Maybe he steps up being around the other guys....

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I am not a Glass fan but I want him or a similarly physical player as our 13th or 14th forward.

Without him, our fourth line is pretty soft. I really like that we will have skill on it but I would like someone who will help make opponents back off. Who in our forward group would be able to step up and fight if necessary? Miller? Kreider? I rather not see them fight.

How anyone could still want Glass in the lineup is beyond me.

And if i recall correctly, Pittsburgh didn't have any fighting majors in the playoffs.

Fighting is outdated, overrated and will soon be a thing of the past. Glass sucks.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

I think people get a little too hyped about his 22 goal season. Like yes, he had a lot of goals. He also scored only 24 points. I don't see how Pirri and Zucc are connected. He's not a Zucc replacement at all.

I think the fact that he did it only 49 games holds some weight.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

He's not a 1 to 1 replacement no but he's additional depth to help ease the loss of another winger. I only think Zucc because he has a lot of value and is 29 at this point.

IF Zucc was traded I imagine it'd be more like Buch moves into his spot and Pirri is on the third line, rather than Pirri just slotting into where Zucc was.

e: from all I hear about him, Pirri isn't a great skater or great defensively, I don't think he'd be replacing Jooris or something on the 4th line. You'd want him for his shot, not to try to take hard minutes like the Rangers 4th line is used for

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad