Player Discussion Brandon Montour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Montour also has the ability to get his shot off quickly. That's a rarity on the Ducks. Other than Silf (who doesn't shoot often enough), everybody wants to catch/cradle the puck, tee it up, take a waggle or two and then finally shoot it. Well after the goalie and defenders have had time to react to the pass.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Montour also has the ability to get his shot off quickly. That's a rarity on the Ducks. Other than Silf (who doesn't shoot often enough), everybody wants to catch/cradle the puck, tee it up, take a waggle or two and then finally shoot it. Well after the goalie and defenders have had time to react to the pass.

Silfverberg is the same way though. He doesn't shoot or can't get it off unless he has a ridiculous amount of time. The two most dangerous shots on the team IMO are Montour and Rakell.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Dangerous and quick aren't necessarily the same thing though. And I kinda get the Silf comment because often he does wait too long to shoot and many times ends up without a shot. But I feel like he keeps trying to maneuver into a better shot as opposed to needing to tee up his shot. It appears that when he feels like it he can really just let it rip with no hesitation, unlike most of the rest of the guys who constantly want a f***ing tee.

As for Getzlaf, I think we all know he has a terrific shot and never uses it. But it isn't a constant quick release as much as it is just a laser of a shot.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada

Good example against Vancouver last night of that 3-0 and we didn't even get a shot haha

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Montour is putting up the points, but how has been defensively? Guy looks like a stud based on highlights only.
I haven't been watching his Ducks play, but I can tell you that his two years with the Gulls showed a marked uptick in both play an confidence between his first pro year and his second pro year. I'm pretty sure he didn't wear a letter that second year, but his confidence in directing defensive traffic and ability to disrupt were impressive at the AHL level. I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar improvement between his first full NHL year and his second full NHL year, based on those in-person observations.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Montour is putting up the points, but how has been defensively? Guy looks like a stud based on highlights only.

Will never be some defense juggernaut but he's solid, which with his offensive game, is fine. Best thing about Montour's game is you don't see many "what the f*** was he thinking there?" moments like you did with Theo.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Will never be some defense juggernaut but he's solid, which with his offensive game, is fine. Best thing about Montour's game is you don't see many "what the **** was he thinking there?" moments like you did with Theo.
He definitely still has those with Vegas.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Montour isn't great defensively but what I like about him is his overall aggressiveness, he pressure the pick carrier like lindholm forcing them into a turnover.

but his offensive pressure is even more fun to watch. I'm sure it is a coaches nightmare but guy is looking to push the play all the time and I love that.

wish we would see more of that from lindholm Fowler and vatanen.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Montour isn't great defensively but what I like about him is his overall aggressiveness, he pressure the pick carrier like lindholm forcing them into a turnover.

but his offensive pressure is even more fun to watch. I'm sure it is a coaches nightmare but guy is looking to push the play all the time and I love that.

wish we would see more of that from lindholm Fowler and vatanen.

Don't forget the wheels on him... even when he gets caught up ice, he gets back quicker than almost anyone we have (or possibly the quickest back). He just needs to control where he goes crashing into.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I'm a huge fan of his and would say defensively he is 3rd best behind Fowler and lindholm, both of whom are a good amount better defensively than him. offensively I'd say he is our best defensemen. if he wasn't so fast getting back he would get caught a lot rushing up the ice as much as he does which would be an issue but his speed protects him a lot on those rushes.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I'm a huge fan of his and would say defensively he is 3rd best behind Fowler and lindholm, both of whom are a good amount better defensively than him. offensively I'd say he is our best defensemen. if he wasn't so fast getting back he would get caught a lot rushing up the ice as much as he does which would be an issue but his speed protects him a lot on those rushes.
I'd put him 4th behind Lindholm Manson Fowler.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’d put him behind Vatanen defensively too, especially on the PK. He has a bit of work to do in that area but he’s got an active stick and is quick at getting back to defend.

Reactions: Duck Off

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Anyone remember that thing where LeBrun said it would take Nylander to get Montour on the Leafs? Well, of course you remember, because many Leafs fans to this day keep making fun of it. Montour sits just two points behind him. It's just a momentary scene, at this point, but it's almost as if that never was quite that absurd.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Anyone remember that thing where LeBrun said it would take Nylander to get Montour on the Leafs? Well, of course you remember, because many Leafs fans to this day keep making fun of it. Montour sits just two points behind him. It's just a momentary scene, at this point, but it's almost as if that never was quite that absurd.
No doubt we'll be seeing some hard-to-pass-up trade proposals in the near future for JVR and a 1st.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I remember I was laughed at pretty bad by some Canucks fans when 2 years ago I offered Montour for Virtanen. Well, I deserved to be laughed at, just not for the reasons they thought, it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino