Player Discussion Brandon Montour

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
Montour current trade status meter is currently set to "don't even bother asking"

We already have to move a top 4 D, why even bother discussing trading the player most ready to step in and fill the void?

At some point we need to move some D to get some young, offensive talent. Whether it's Larsson or Theo, someone's gotta go. Besides Steel, no one jumps off the page in the minors.

Fowler(6.5 mill) Manson(4 mill)
Lindholm(5.75) Montour(RFA)

Cheap-ish and some guesses on next contracts. Great, homegrown top 4.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
I think when trade for "bottom 6" guys it means a young guy with upside who's ready for NHL on a bottom line.

Oct 18, 2011
Montour is the one you don't trade. He has had a degree of fearless ness you don't often see in a dman as inexperienced as he is.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I have no interest in moving either for bottom six talent. I'd trade Vats for Kapanen or futures. Theo only moves for an equivalent F talent.

"Talent in our bottom 6" doesn't necessarily mean bottom 6-level talent. Someone like J.T. Miller on a nominal 3rd line would do wonders for our scoring depth now as well as for the future.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
"Talent in our bottom 6" doesn't necessarily mean bottom 6-level talent. Someone like J.T. Miller on a nominal 3rd line would do wonders for our scoring depth now as well as for the future.

No it doesn't. But the post I quoted made no reference other than wanting talent in the bottom 6. That leaves a pretty wide open interpretation as to what is acceptable.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Is Mantha even a possibility for Vatanen?

Highly doubt it. Of those 3 AA is the most probable to move. I've seen Detroit fans mention his hockey sense is questionable and he quite frequently finds himself in Blashill's doghouse.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Highly doubt it. Of those 3 AA is the most probable to move. I've seen Detroit fans mention his hockey sense is questionable and he quite frequently finds himself in Blashill's doghouse.

Yeah, I'm not too sold on him. He has unreal speed and some great skill leading to a great goal/highlight reel ratio, but I'm not sore he's a top-6 player going forward. He'd be in the Kapanen tier of "eh" returns, for me.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
So he finished with 7 points (all assists) in 17 games with a +12 rating (best of our defenseman) in the playoffs while averaging 19:11 a game. He had a good first playoffs for the Ducks. Can't wait to see what he does next season.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
4 goals 3 assists 7 points in 10 games so far this season this is absolutely what we have needed from him so happy to see him producing so well :popcorn:

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
With Montour's quick start the Ducks have 5 top 4 D-men.

The question will be who plays on the bottom pairing? Obviously it is a situation every team would like.

Montour seems to have stepped into Vatanen's role on the PP. He is bigger and might be faster on the rush. I don't want to limit his opportunities as he is very much engaged in the offense.

On another note, Megna has filled in quite well. If he were to take the Bieksa/Beauchemin/Holzer spot, we would most likely have the youngest defense in the league. Not saying he is going to do that, but he has not been a liability.

John

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I wouldn't mind seeing Montour on the bottom pair while still learning. He is still a rookie. And he might just put up a lot of points from there. Win/Win.

That is probably the way Carlyle will go. I think Vatanen played with Megna tonight.

If we did keep Megna up, our defense could almost be called Kid D.

John

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Montour led the D in TOI tonight. Carlyle had him playing in the top 4 last playoffs. He's going to play a ton this year

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Montour was awesome on the PP against Tampa and is finally getting that shot on net. I didn’t like his 5 on 5 game in this particular game though, he’s still inconsistent in that department.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
That is probably the way Carlyle will go. I think Vatanen played with Megna tonight.

If we did keep Megna up, our defense could almost be called Kid D.

John

We must keep Megna up, he is no longer waiver exempt. The chance of us successfully "sneaking" him through waivers is exactly 0 %, somebody would claim him for sure.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I like the idea of the following pairings when everyone is healthy:

Lindholm Vatanen/Montour
Fowler Manson
Megna Montour/Vatanen

It’s too bad we have both Beauchemin and Bieksa on the team still because there’s not a chance both sit when everyone is healthy. I don’t mind Beauchemin as the 6th/ 7th guy rotates in for Megna but Bieksa is completely redundant now that Vatanen is healthy.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I think Beauchemin will retire when everyone is healthy. He was until Murray talked him into helping out.

Bieksa is the one that we will have to sit or buy out, which won't happen, and Murray will want him for insurance and the playoffs.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->