Player Discussion Brandon Montour

Status
Not open for further replies.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I don’t disagree that Carlyle probably impacts Montours on ice play but I’ll play devils advocate and say look at the likes of Niedermayer, Visnovsky and Fowler who were the opposite and all had career years in terms of offensive output under Carlyle.

He runs a terrible defensive system but I don’t think he’s ever really been someone that has held back defenders in terms of their on ice production and offensive ability.
Is it possible that was due to how different the game was back then?

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I don’t disagree that Carlyle probably impacts Montours on ice play but I’ll play devils advocate and say look at the likes of Niedermayer, Visnovsky and Fowler who were the opposite and all had career years in terms of offensive output under Carlyle.

He runs a terrible defensive system but I don’t think he’s ever really been someone that has held back defenders in terms of their on ice production and offensive ability.
Niedermayer and Visnovsky were already established at that point though. No coach was going to change how they played.

Fowler is a different story. But based on how he is used, Randy has always loved him and I think he is given more freedom than other young defensemen.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

like most things, it's probably a combination. I always think of the playoff game where Montour was the only defenseman doing anything well, and after the game, Carlyle seemed to insinuate that he was frustrated at his play. That said, Carlyle isn't telling Montour to shoot at horrible times. It's definitely not all on Carlyle like some say, but I think having RC here hurts Monty more than helping for sure.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He played a little better against the Preds. He needs to be more of a threat on offense though. I'm seeing too many safe plays out of him in the offensive zone, I want to see him use his speed to attack the net more.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He played a little better against the Preds. He needs to be more of a threat on offense though. I'm seeing too many safe plays out of him in the offensive zone, I want to see him use his speed to attack the net more.
Randy+Carlyle+Anaheim+Ducks+v+San+Jose+Sharks+qohOl7gTZ4tl.jpg

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
He seems to have too much of a straight line mentality. I'd like to see him put on the brakes and walk the line a bit more to give himself more shooting options and buy some space. It's too easy to pressure him into a hurried, harmless wrister right now when he has a heck of a shot being wasted.

Reactions: Beretta 390

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Last 2 games he is 2+4=6 points, with 27 mins ice time in each.
If he would play it like this all season he would be on pace for 246 point season :laugh:
Looks like he`s playing better lately, no?
To me he has that offensive swagger (agressiveness) that Fowler doesn`t have.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Last 2 games he is 2+4=6 points, with 27 mins ice time in each.
If he would play it like this all season he would be on pace for 246 point season :laugh:
Looks like he`s playing better lately, no?
To me he has that offensive swagger (agressiveness) that Fowler doesn`t have.
I think rc realized the system wasnt workin and gave everyone more freedom.... that benefits montour a ton

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Only has 3 power play points so far this year as well out of his 5+14=19. God, what I would not do to have a competent coach running that unit who could help develop him into an elite QB or that rover role they want Cam to play on the #1 unit.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Only has 3 power play points so far this year as well out of his 5+14=19. God, what I would not do to have a competent coach running that unit who could help develop him into an elite QB or that rover role they want Cam to play on the #1 unit.

we want him in this role. he never seems to get to play this role as he's stapled to the point.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

RC either loyal to a fault or slow on the uptake. Or both.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Montour and Fowler have been greenlit from the beginning. We saw that early on. Fowler doesn't use his freedom and Montour is a mess, he's all over the place. The change in systems gave people less freedom, not more.
To be fair, it’s hard to be terribly greenlit when the offensive “system” has you stapled in your own end getting outshot by 20-40 shots every night because the forwards don’t skate to open space OR skate to areas that open lanes for the defensemen to carry the puck.

Reactions: KeepItDeep
Oct 18, 2011
We have been having problems for years on the PP. We have tried several coaches I feel like the lack of a real PP QB is a factor here

Reactions: robbieboy3686

KeepItDeep

Jun 19, 2007
Sierra Nevadas
To be fair, it’s hard to be terribly greenlit when the offensive “system” has you stapled in your own end getting outshot by 20-40 shots every night because the forwards don’t skate to open space OR skate to areas that open lanes for the defensemen to carry the puck.
I've had the same thought.

Whatever the coaches are telling the forwards to do, they wind up bunched up with each other far too often, making it far too easy for the defenders, and thus more difficult for our dmen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ducks DVM
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
True but nevertheless I think montour is clearly a better player with a shorter leash. His instincts suck which isn't surprising given his history.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
Why are people all sad that we are letting some players go. This team isn't going anywhere. We are probably the slowest team in the league. Something needs to be done. Horrible Silfurberg signing, horrible henrique signing.

Montour is probably the lowest IQ player on the team. Nothing to be sad about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad