Player Discussion Brandon Montour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
This is a joke, no? Not even remotely true.

1c7mp0.jpg

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Montour was our best defenseman last night and got rewarded with all of 14 minutes. Carlyle needs to stop going with the guys who are getting hemmed in their zone all night and give some of their minutes to Montour.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
Montour was our best defenseman last night and got rewarded with all of 14 minutes. Carlyle needs to stop going with the guys who are getting hemmed in their zone all night and give some of their minutes to Montour.

So you would reduce the minutes of Fowler, Lindholm, Manson an Vatanen? Theo had less minutes than Brandon.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
So you would reduce the minutes of Fowler, Lindholm, Manson an Vatanen? Theo had less minutes than Brandon.

Fowler and Vatanen yes - Cam is being overplayed and is struggling defensively and Vatanen hasn't been good. Manson is maybe being played a touch too much also. Lindholm and Montour are the only pair that aren't continually stuck in their own end this series yet they're being played the 4th and 5th most minutes. I would play the first two pairings about evenly, the second pair can easily handle the extra time and Fowler and Vatanen will benefit from a lighter workload.

This team's strength lies on its depth on defense. Nobody on the roster is a legit number one defenseman (unless Lindholm's wrist magically heals overnight), Carlyle should play to his strengths and utilise his depth more.

Last edited:

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Fowler and Vatanen yes - Cam is being overplayed and is struggling defensively and Vatanen hasn't been good. Manson is maybe being played a touch too much also. Lindholm and Montour are the only pair that aren't continually stuck in their own end this series yet they're being played the 4th and 5th most minutes. I would play the first two pairings about evenly, the second pair can easily handle the extra time and Fowler and Vatanen will benefit from a lighter workload.

This team's strength lies on its depth on defense. Nobody on the roster is a legit number one defenseman (unless Lindholm's wrist magically heals overnight), Carlyle should play to his strengths and utilise his depth more.

Agreed. Montour has proven so far he can handle the extra minutes against the opponents top players. He is so much better defensively than I could have ever hoped for.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Agreed. Montour has proven so far he can handle the extra minutes against the opponents top players. He is so much better defensively than I could have ever hoped for.

No, he's proven he can handle the minutes he's been given. He's getting very specific assignments, which people might want to consider is the reason he looks good, and not overwhelmed.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

Shots against per minute ES 5v5

Fowler 0.95
Vatanen 1.11

Lindholm 0.92
Montour 0.84

Theodore 1.17
Manson 1.21

Fowler and Lindholm are essentially equal at the shots being taken against them. The Corsi differences are because of what the forwards are doing with the puck at the other end of the ice. If the argument is that Fowler is actually trapped in his own end more, then he's actually doing a much better job of actually suppressing shots.

I don't think that Montour is carrying Lindholm and Manson is dragging down Theodore though. These stats are silly with no context.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
No, he's proven he can handle the minutes he's been given. He's getting very specific assignments, which people might want to consider is the reason he looks good, and not overwhelmed.

I feel like we've had this type of discussion many times before, and we always end up repeating this message. First it was Sbisa. Then Vatanen. Then Manson. Now Montour? At what point does this need to stop being stated? How many times have we seen a player do well, even very well, in a specific role with controlled minutes and responsibilities, but they struggle outside of that role?

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
I feel like we've had this type of discussion many times before, and we always end up repeating this message. First it was Sbisa. Then Vatanen. Then Manson. Now Montour? At what point does this need to stop being stated? How many times have we seen a player do well, even very well, in a specific role with controlled minutes and responsibilities, but they struggle outside of that role?

He's our shinny new toy ;) The good thing about Montour is that he was the Gulls best defenseman last year and hopefully the Ducks can give him the time to develop by giving him sheltered minutes now and keep expanding his role as he grows into an everyday NHL defenseman.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Shots against per minute ES 5v5

Fowler 0.95
Vatanen 1.11

Lindholm 0.92
Montour 0.84

Theodore 1.17
Manson 1.21

Fowler and Lindholm are essentially equal at the shots being taken against them. The Corsi differences are because of what the forwards are doing with the puck at the other end of the ice. If the argument is that Fowler is actually trapped in his own end more, then he's actually doing a much better job of actually suppressing shots.

I don't think that Montour is carrying Lindholm and Manson is dragging down Theodore though. These stats are silly with no context.

I'd say it's more likely(even probable) that some of the difference in shots against has to do with the tougher situations that players like Lindholm and Manson are getting put on the ice for, while their D partners (Montour and Theodore respectively) are on the bench watching.

Basically, despite being partnered with Montour more often than not, Lindholm is still seeing other shifts when Carlyle doesn't want Montour out there. Ditto for Manson and Theodore.

I'm not really sure I agree with the whole idea that Vatanen and Fowler are being hemmed in their own end more than any other pairing. I suspect there's some confirmation bias there, and/or perhaps not giving enough weight to the work the forwards need to put in to help out their D. If the puck is being worked around the perimeter, especially up high, that's hardly the D pairing getting hemmed in, and I wonder if that description is being used in a more generalized manner for when the opposing team is just in the offensive zone and isn't actually accomplishing much with the puck.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
He's our shinny new toy ;) The good thing about Montour is that he was the Gulls best defenseman last year and hopefully the Ducks can give him the time to develop by giving him sheltered minutes now and keep expanding his role as he grows into an everyday NHL defenseman.

Hah, I guess. For what it's worth, I'm not trying to take away any credit he deserves. He's been good. I just think we need to remind ourselves, again, that there is a difference between playing tough minutes, and playing tough minutes with Lindholm as your D partner, and with the Ryan Kesler line having your back.

And still, despite this, Carlyle wants Manson and Fowler out on the ice, as an alternative to Montour, in a number of situations when Lindholm is out there. I wouldn't say his hand is being held, but he's not quite doing it without the training wheels either. Which is fine. He's a rookie. As far as reasonable expectations go, I think he's more than met them. I'm just not quite ready to say that we should start considering unreasonable expectations for him just yet.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010

edit: not shinny hockey, shiny hockey player toy. Doh!

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA

I'm not saying he is ready to take on #1 responsibilities. But I think he has earned himself some extra minutes to give fowler and vats some rest. To each his own though.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He's going to have the luxury of developing while playing alongside an elite defensive player in Lindholm. Honestly don't know if there's 5 players better in their own zone than Hampus right now

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
He's going to have the luxury of developing while playing alongside an elite defensive player in Lindholm. Honestly don't know if there's 5 players better in their own zone than Hampus right now

Just imagine what Hampus will be if his offensive game comes around. We have a diamond here. I always believed that Lindholm and Montour are made for each other. While Manson is great he looks like a great partner for Cam. If we can keep this top 4 we have a awesome foundation. Otherwise Shea will have to take Cams spot but I'm not that sold on Theodore.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Just imagine what Hampus will be if his offensive game comes around. We have a diamond here. I always believed that Lindholm and Montour are made for each other. While Manson is great he looks like a great partner for Cam. If we can keep this top 4 we have a awesome foundation. Otherwise Shea will have to take Cams spot but I'm not that sold on Theodore.

Yeah Theodore is essentially a Justin Schultz at the moment. I'm not sure how his defensive game is going to develop but right now he's too casual getting the puck out of the zone, is soft along the boards and gets walked too often.

I was never on the Sbisa or Vatanen hype trains (although with Vatanen it was more about NHL readiness than long term potential) and while I always liked Manson I never thought he would even end up as good as he currently is. I'm not trying to say Montour should be playing 28 minutes a night and that he will be the next Karlsson but he certainly deserves more than 14 minutes. His ice time has certainly been controlled in this Preds series but against the Oilers he wasn't sheltered at all, playing 21 or more minutes in 5 of 7 games and seeing the third most ice time against McDavid of any of our Dmen behind Lindholm and Manson and he looked good while doing so. Also for what it's worth Montour has the lowest offensive zone start rate of any of our Dmen these playoffs at 44% and as expected Theodore is the highest at 65%.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
Montour.. man. What a beast. Love this kid.

Serious question.. what's his trade value?

For us he's a top 4 player already and seems like the perfect partner for Lindholm.

Nylander for Montour?

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Wouldn't move any of Fowler/Manson/Lindholm/Montour - that's our D core for the next decade set - which puts us in a incredible position. Move out some of the other pieces for forward help, and hope likes of Steel, Ritchie, Kase can develop into legit top 6 forwards on top of that.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Montour.. man. What a beast. Love this kid.

Serious question.. what's his trade value?

For us he's a top 4 player already and seems like the perfect partner for Lindholm.

Nylander for Montour?

Montour current trade status meter is currently set to "don't even bother asking"

We already have to move a top 4 D, why even bother discussing trading the player most ready to step in and fill the void?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad