Player Discussion Brandon Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Meh I think he's a Chris Philipps maybe. Wouldn't you want that for 10+ years? You need those steady 4's, specially when you've got offensive D coming out the ying yang. Everything has its place. We also need his size post-Chara.​
Phillips with wheels perhaps. I still think there`s more Butch can squeeze out of this kid offensively but I think right now he and the other coaches are working on rounding out his game defensively.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
And this is the reason I would move him in the off season, I just never see him being more than a 4thD who doesn't have any type of edge to him. The comparisons to Hjalmarsson are pretty accurate, I'm just not a big Hjalmarsson fan. He isn't terrible, he isn't Hal Gill but I just see a player I will always want more from and become more and more frustrated, even recognizing his limitations, as his time here goes on.

His mistakes this year are one thing, I expect a 21 year old too have mistakes, my problem, as many have pointed out about him, is his complete lack of mean, it can't be taught and I just don't think Carlo will ever achieve his top end potential without having a bit of a mean streak, even in Bettman's watered down wimpfest currently called the NHL.

Lol. No. Just. No.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
And this is the reason I would move him in the off season, I just never see him being more than a 4thD who doesn't have any type of edge to him. The comparisons to Hjalmarsson are pretty accurate, I'm just not a big Hjalmarsson fan. He isn't terrible, he isn't Hal Gill but I just see a player I will always want more from and become more and more frustrated, even recognizing his limitations, as his time here goes on.

His mistakes this year are one thing, I expect a 21 year old too have mistakes, my problem, as many have pointed out about him, is his complete lack of mean, it can't be taught and I just don't think Carlo will ever achieve his top end potential without having a bit of a mean streak, even in Bettman's watered down wimpfest currently called the NHL.

He’s displayed more “mean” over the past few weeks than most on the team. Super unclear why you don’t see this.

Why do you care if he achieves his potential when he skates the way he has been and is 100% helping this team win? Doesn’t punch enough or something?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Have you been watching him lately? Serious question, after reading this comment.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Have you been watching him lately? Serious question, after reading this comment.

Grumble. Grumble. Doesn’t punch things. Grumble grumble.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Attachments

• BAEABFCC-B9E1-445C-B8C1-EE56EDED634D.jpeg
    BAEABFCC-B9E1-445C-B8C1-EE56EDED634D.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Comments like that just make you question if someone watches as much as they claim, or understands what they're watching. Carlo has been physical. He's been hitting more, scrumming after the whistle, and his game has benefited from it. It all started in that Pittsburgh game, after Crosby punched him in the corner. Since then, he's been showing he can play with some nasty. It has been night and day. He's continuing it as well, which is nice to see.

He's still a young kid at 21 years old, and just played his 157th game last night. The golden number for defenseman really finding their game is what, ~200? He's still learning to play. He's been much better though in this second half as a shaky start.

Some people are so blind and it's hilarious and sad at the same time.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Comments like that just make you question if someone watches as much as they claim, or understands what they're watching. Carlo has been physical. He's been hitting more, scrumming after the whistle, and his game has benefited from it. It all started in that Pittsburgh game, after Crosby punched him in the corner. Since then, he's been showing he can play with some nasty. It has been night and day. He's continuing it as well, which is nice to see.

He's still a young kid at 21 years old, and just played his 157th game last night. The golden number for defenseman really finding their game is what, ~200? He's still learning to play. He's been much better though in this second half as a shaky start.

Some people are so blind and it's hilarious and sad at the same time.

And the article that I posted where Cassidy talks about how they’re encouraging Carlo to be more physical and play with more of an edge.

But I guess if he doesn’t turn into The Ultimate Warrior out there and skate around in a frothing rage he’s “not physical enough”

Trade his ass :shakehead

Attachments

• A4318666-198D-4E8A-971E-71BAC1DEC796.gif
    A4318666-198D-4E8A-971E-71BAC1DEC796.gif
    258.9 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Dr Hook and Agent86

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Carlo will likely never be a good two way player but in terms of the defensive end to mid ice, he is GOOD

What a skater for a 6'5 D. Excellent reach and overall plays the game the right away. Good to have on the ice to try to shut down opposing teams best fwds

I actually think he has a fair amount of offensive upside (because of his skating ability). The last 5-10 games he has been jumping into the play offensively, and actually picks his spots pretty well. To be honest, I thought he was open 4/5 times and the F's just didn't get him the puck. That may just be because they aren't used to him jumping up? Based on Cassidy's comments, it sounds like the coaching staff has been encouraging him to be more aggressive (physically and jumping up).

I don't think Carlo is ever going to be a 15 goal D-man, but I think he can be a 25-30 pt guy that plays sound D as well once he gets more confident/mature.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
157 NHL games under his belt at 21 years old. Meanwhile, most of his age-group peers are in the AHL or edging towards the finish line of college hockey. Hell, even big Z had only played a handful of NHL games at Carlo's age.

As has been said many times, picture a playoff-hardened, 25 year old Carlo patrolling the Bruins blueline, and you will be in a happy place.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

That would be like selling your Apple stock the first time that it doubled.

Reactions: Chief Nine

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Carlo will likely never be a good two way player but in terms of the defensive end to mid ice, he is GOOD

What a skater for a 6'5 D. Excellent reach and overall plays the game the right away. Good to have on the ice to try to shut down opposing teams best fwds

I don't buy that. Maybe not a great goal scorer from the point, but he can pass and skate. He likely won't see PP time to pad his numbers, but 6-8 goals per year and 20-30 assists per could be attainable. It depends who he plays with.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

C0ach B0mbay

Sep 14, 2009
Boston
157 NHL games under his belt at 21 years old. Meanwhile, most of his age-group peers are in the AHL or edging towards the finish line of college hockey. Hell, even big Z had only played a handful of NHL games at Carlo's age.

As has been said many times, picture a playoff-hardened, 25 year old Carlo patrolling the Bruins blueline, and you will be in a happy place.

I think your last point is key - 157 games in and he hasn't tasted the playoffs yet! A good deep run could really accelerate his development curve.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

He's so much better than Chara was at this age.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I actually think he has a fair amount of offensive upside (because of his skating ability). The last 5-10 games he has been jumping into the play offensively, and actually picks his spots pretty well. To be honest, I thought he was open 4/5 times and the F's just didn't get him the puck. That may just be because they aren't used to him jumping up? Based on Cassidy's comments, it sounds like the coaching staff has been encouraging him to be more aggressive (physically and jumping up).

I don't think Carlo is ever going to be a 15 goal D-man, but I think he can be a 25-30 pt guy that plays sound D as well once he gets more confident/mature.

VS Tampa Carlo was busting up ice carrying it over center ice, and passed to Marchy at the blue line. Then he started to drive to the net and was getting open, but Marchy tried to pass to someone else, and
it was picked off my Tampa and back the other way it went. I think I've seen him carry it into the offensive zone more in the last two weeks, than all season combined.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

If he can turn into a 25-30 point guy that would be a huge huge huge success. Right now he is a 6 point guy. If he maxes out at this (he won't) I don't think thats good enough.

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
VS Tampa Carlo was busting up ice carrying it over center ice, and passed to Marchy at the blue line. Then he started to drive to the net and was getting open, but Marchy tried to pass to someone else, and
it was picked off my Tampa and back the other way it went. I think I've seen him carry it into the offensive zone more in the last two weeks, than all season combined.
Agreed, it was Carlo who carried the puck in deep that led to the Marshy-Krug-Bergy tick tack goal. He is playing with so much more jam and confidence in the last month.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Honestly I've been impressed with Carlo lately, he's definitely lifted his level of mean to go along with the rest of his game. Hell the other night he flattened a Jet right in front of Dobby, guy did a face plant into the ice. And last night grabbing that POS Rask was beating on before being jumped by Paquette. No question in my mind he's playing tougher.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
If he can turn into a 25-30 point guy that would be a huge huge huge success. Right now he is a 6 point guy. If he maxes out at this (he won't) I don't think thats good enough.

Six points from Carlo has to be just an unlucky season for him, offensively. He had 16 in his rookie season. I just think he has the skating and passing ability that he should be able to get 6 points, easily. Here's a guy who gets no offensive special teams time, so all of his points will come via ES situations (and the potential of the odd-PK point).

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Same thing I saw, and it's happened in a couple of games recently. I think the F's just aren't used to seeing him up there.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I really could care less about the points. At this time, I like the fact that his game is improving. He is playing more physical and is blending in the type of system they are employing, which is skating and making that first pass. He kind of surprised me last night when he had a rush into the offensive zone.

I think you can see the work they’ve been putting into his game. Good coaching going on. There are too many players that teams have up on too early. 6-5 defenseman that can skate don’t come around to much. And it’s not like he’s a Gill type either. Not to say Gill was bad either. He just was misused.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I really could care less about the points. At this time, I like the fact that his game is improving. He is playing more physical and is blending in the type of system they are employing, which is skating and making that first pass. He kind of surprised me last night when he had a rush into the offensive zone.

I think you can see the work they’ve been putting into his game. Good coaching going on. There are too many players that teams have up on too early. 6-5 defenseman that can skate don’t come around to much. And it’s not like he’s a Gill type either. Not to say Gill was bad either. He just was misused.

And if this kid tosses in a goal or two here and there in the playoffs that gives the Bruins another dimension and something for opponents to worry about.

Don’t forget Kevan Miller is also skating the puck out more and more as well

Reactions: BMC

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
Not sure what is sadder, the current state of the game or it's fans for slavishly falling in line with Bettman's wussified sport. This team is at least making the semi finals and I am no where near as committed as I used to be.

But I guess the new fans or the old ones who hated the Broad Street Bullies and Big Bad Bruins will like hockey lite. Game will soon be no contact, no fighting, no excitement. In that environment Carlo will be an all star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad