Player Discussion Brandon Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I have to say, for the first time in a while last night I looked at the play and said "Who is that?" when I saw a big mofo on the Bruins defense taking away all the ice and playing the puck safely up and out, but then that turned out not to be Chara. I think this kid has big, big upside.
He needs to be assertive and confident, the new Carlo is a good one.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
He needs to be assertive and confident, the new Carlo is a good one.

I mean if you think about it.... Supposing Zboril develops.... McAvoy, Carlo, Zboril, Gryz, Miller is an absolutely insane starting point..

#1, #2, 2 #4'S, #5 all under 30 and all pretty cheap. That's a really, really slick starting point for a GM.

Edit: Vaak, Lauzon also compete for spots of course.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I mean if you think about it.... Supposing Zboril develops.... McAvoy, Carlo, Zboril, Gryz, Miller is an absolutely insane starting point..

#1, #2, 2 #4'S, #5 all under 30 and all pretty cheap. That's a really, really slick starting point for a GM.

Edit: Vaak, Lauzon also compete for spots of course.
If they become that good, they won’t be cheap for long.:sarcasm:

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
My dad has been sending me texts ****ting all over Carlos play all season.

He doesn’t text me as much during games anymore :laugh:

I mean I've found Carlo pretty frustrating this season, but I realize a lot of it is the young defenseman developing thing.

I remember in 2010 I just repeatedly hated on Michael Ryder, almost nonstop. To me he was the epitome of the soft non-starter type player that was killing the Bruins at that time. I was 21YO 5'11 185 lbs, I watched every game with my dad. Eventually he just looked at me and said "You know he would kick your ass right?". My dad literally never said this type of stuff to me, I was kind of shocked.

I never really managed to spew that kind of vehement hate for a player ever since. Anyways, just had to tell that story eventually lol.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
This last game against Tampa was the type of defense
I've been craving to see the Bruins play. Standing up at the blue line is a must in the modern NHL.

We've been giving up a lot of space ,it good to see them tighten up

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
when carlo is playing aggressive and assertive hockey, he's a good player. i've seen him way too timid at times,
but it's a process, and he's maturing. thought he was very good against tampa. most folks who scout say that
it takes a Dman 200-250 games before he really figures things out. this postseason will be a good test for him,
especially since he missed it last year.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Carlo is the same

Some of you guys don't understand the extra responsibilities he has had to take on due to Krug defensive shortcomings

Carlo is like our next big Z. Sweeney struck gold in the 2nd round

Last edited:

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Carlo will likely never be a good two way player but in terms of the defensive end to mid ice, he is GOOD

What a skater for a 6'5 D. Excellent reach and overall plays the game the right away. Good to have on the ice to try to shut down opposing teams best fwds

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
You can't coach anger. Some people are McQuaid and can flip that angry switch. Some people just don't have it in them. Carlo seems to be quiet, reserved, smart, respectful and he doesn't get pissed. Even when he's clearing the crease you can tell he only does it cause it's an expected part of the job, not cause he's pissed they got near his goalie. Just stop asking these people to be something they're not. It's only gunna end up bad.

He's got a good skill set and has had a better stretch of hockey lately, thankfully.

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
You can't coach anger. Some people are McQuaid and can flip that angry switch. Some people just don't have it in them. Carlo seems to be quiet, reserved, smart, respectful and he doesn't get pissed. Even when he's clearing the crease you can tell he only does it cause it's an expected part of the job, not cause he's pissed they got near his goalie. Just stop asking these people to be something they're not. It's only gunna end up bad.

He's got a good skill set and has had a better stretch of hockey lately, thankfully.

Nice post- Carlo is not timid, he is just not a nasty tempered guy. He does play a physical game, he just isn't a scrapper, or a big hit player- he is a an angle a player off, pin him on the boards type of D-man, which is quite effective for him because of his size and skating legs. I think somewhat earlier and last season he *was* a little shy, but lately he's developing the confidence to use his frame to his best advantage.

Reactions: Bmessy

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Nice post- Carlo is not timid, he is just not a nasty tempered guy. He does play a physical game, he just isn't a scrapper, or a big hit player- he is a an angle a player off, pin him on the boards type of D-man, which is quite effective for him because of his size and skating legs. I think somewhat earlier and last season he *was* a little shy, but lately he's developing the confidence to use his frame to his best advantage.
Your right. I think the more he plays and gets hit and goes through a few cheap shots, he’ll get more fiesty. Natural progression.

Reactions: Dr Hook

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
What we saw last night is why you don't give up early on and trade a super young top-4 d-man with all sorts of potential. Kid is going to be a defensive beast when he hits his prime, which may be sooner than most top d-men in the league. If he can ever ramp up his offensive game down the line, which I believe 100% he can, then look out! I am just as excited about this kid now as I was on the day in which the Bs drafted him. He is the real deal.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
What we saw last night is why you don't give up early on and trade a super young top-4 d-man with all sorts of potential. Kid is going to be a defensive beast when he hits his prime, which may be sooner than most top d-men in the league. If he can ever ramp up his offensive game down the line, which I believe 100% he can, then look out! I am just as excited about this kid now as I was on the day in which the Bs drafted him. He is the real deal.

I’d be okay with limited offensive contribution if he can just use his wheels to get the puck out of the zone and develop a more physical game. Not looking for a wrecking ball, just a guy that will use his size in puck battles and look to separate guys from the puck in open ice.

ballofhate13

Jan 6, 2018
This kid is very young and has what ? Been a real important factor in why the team has the record it does .

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I mean I've found Carlo pretty frustrating this season, but I realize a lot of it is the young defenseman developing thing.

I remember in 2010 I just repeatedly hated on Michael Ryder, almost nonstop. To me he was the epitome of the soft non-starter type player that was killing the Bruins at that time. I was 21YO 5'11 185 lbs, I watched every game with my dad. Eventually he just looked at me and said "You know he would kick your ass right?". My dad literally never said this type of stuff to me, I was kind of shocked.

I never really managed to spew that kind of vehement hate for a player ever since. Anyways, just had to tell that story eventually lol.
so easy to forget this guy is 21 and only in his 2nd season. There are more than a few aspects of his game that need working on but there aren`t tons of big, good skating D-men out there and I`d wager many teams around the league would love the chance to have a kid like him in their lineup

Reactions: TCB

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Bruce Cassidy once again tells it like it is (about Brandon Carlo):

“When he’s involved and skating, he’s a better player. When he’s less aggressive and passive, I find that’s when his game slips.”

Gotta love how this guy handles things

Bruins defenseman Brandon Carlo aims to improve and be ready for the playoffs

And this is the reason I would move him in the off season, I just never see him being more than a 4thD who doesn't have any type of edge to him. The comparisons to Hjalmarsson are pretty accurate, I'm just not a big Hjalmarsson fan. He isn't terrible, he isn't Hal Gill but I just see a player I will always want more from and become more and more frustrated, even recognizing his limitations, as his time here goes on.

His mistakes this year are one thing, I expect a 21 year old too have mistakes, my problem, as many have pointed out about him, is his complete lack of mean, it can't be taught and I just don't think Carlo will ever achieve his top end potential without having a bit of a mean streak, even in Bettman's watered down wimpfest currently called the NHL.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Meh I think he's a Chris Philipps maybe. Wouldn't you want that for 10+ years? You need those steady 4's, specially when you've got offensive D coming out the ying yang. Everything has its place. We also need his size post-Chara.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad