Player Discussion Brandon Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Not sure what is sadder, the current state of the game or it's fans for slavishly falling in line with Bettman's wussified sport. This team is at least making the semi finals and I am no where near as committed as I used to be.

But I guess the new fans or the old ones who hated the Broad Street Bullies and Big Bad Bruins will like hockey lite. Game will soon be no contact, no fighting, no excitement. In that environment Carlo will be an all star.

Shame they stopped gladiator matches in Rome too. Ahh the good old days!

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Not sure what is sadder, the current state of the game or it's fans for slavishly falling in line with Bettman's wussified sport. This team is at least making the semi finals and I am no where near as committed as I used to be.

But I guess the new fans or the old ones who hated the Broad Street Bullies and Big Bad Bruins will like hockey lite. Game will soon be no contact, no fighting, no excitement. In that environment Carlo will be an all star.
You're talking about two different things.

I have three Questions -- honest ones

1) State of NHL. What on earth are you going to do about it?
2) State of Life. Doesn't complaining about something that isn't going to change just bum you out? (I'm a 70's and 80's fan as well. That ship has sailed whether I like it, hate it, or don't care).
3) State of BC25/Bruins. If you want to trade Carlo because he's not rough enough -- propose something that is break-even at worst. Otherwise it sounds like you just want to jettison BC25 because he's not 70's enough for you.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

But I guess the new fans or the old ones who hated the Broad Street Bullies and Big Bad Bruins will like hockey lite. Game will soon be no contact, no fighting, no excitement. In that environment Carlo will be an All Star.

:nopity:

Reactions: Chief Nine

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Lol....Maybe a majority of the fans just love the team they're watching and see that there doesn't need to be a goon squad every night to enjoy it. How committed have you been this year? Because that would explain your lack of knowledge on Carlo lately. He's been physical and showing aggression for a good month now. It hasn't simmered either. It's been consistent. But if you're not watching, then it would make sense why you wouldn't know that.

I love the Bruins. I love hockey. I love fighting/hitting in hockey. I love goals in hockey and fast paced hockey. You can still love the sport and not agree with everything going on. Just because fans are enjoying the season in this "wussified" version or whatever the f*** you call it, doesn't mean fans want no-contact, or no fighting, or whatever. Your narrative is old. Find a new way to deploy it, or a new one altogether.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada

I like the new younger faster game. DOPS has some work to do, but the product on the ice is great. And it'll be a great playoffs.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

The day after the Bruins win the most important game of the season thus far, in a game filled with emotion and intensity, AND even had some fisticuffs, and you still find a way to complain about the current game.

While I don't believe today's game is better than in the past, it's no where near as bad as your making it out to be.

Sorry there was no staged fight between two goons to satisfy your desire to see hockey players punch each other in the face.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I actually think he has a fair amount of offensive upside (because of his skating ability). The last 5-10 games he has been jumping into the play offensively, and actually picks his spots pretty well. To be honest, I thought he was open 4/5 times and the F's just didn't get him the puck. That may just be because they aren't used to him jumping up? Based on Cassidy's comments, it sounds like the coaching staff has been encouraging him to be more aggressive (physically and jumping up).

I don't think Carlo is ever going to be a 15 goal D-man, but I think he can be a 25-30 pt guy that plays sound D as well once he gets more confident/mature.

I don't buy that. Maybe not a great goal scorer from the point, but he can pass and skate. He likely won't see PP time to pad his numbers, but 6-8 goals per year and 20-30 assists per could be attainable. It depends who he plays with.

There was this one play yesterday.... He received the puck at the top of the left point. he had a pretty good open lane to take a quick snap shot. Instead he elected to pass it down low to Heinen (projected a mile away), and got the puck intercepted. Tampa goes the other way on a potential 3 on 2 rush

This is the kind of "non skill" I'm talking about. His play from his own end/ability to carry out the puck are little are fine and safe. But at the offensive end, he is basically a dump the puck , pass it to a player nearby or take a shot blindly type of stay at home D

He maybe in the cards to notch up to 20 pts a season (on average). That is fine for all the other things he can do. But this is the type of point totals a 2 way D produces

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
There was this one play yesterday.... He received the puck at the top of the left point. he had a pretty good open lane to take a quick snap shot. Instead he elected to pass it down low to Heinen (projected a mile away), and got the puck intercepted. Tampa goes the other way on a potential 3 on 2 rush

This is the kind of "non skill" I'm talking about. His play from his own end/ability to carry out the puck are little are fine and safe. But at the offensive end, he is basically a dump the puck , pass it to a player nearby or take a shot blindly type of stay at home D

He maybe in the cards to notch up to 20 pts a season (on average). That is fine for all the other things he can do. But this is the type of point totals a 2 way D produces

Your tough on the kid, Carlo is playing good hockey right now. Looks like my favorite McQaide and key penalty killer will be sitting in the stands again when Chara and McAvoy return, then you will see the PK crap out again.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Meh, the guy averages less giveaways than McAvoy, Krug and Chara...That's nitpicking if I ever saw it.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Your tough on the kid, Carlo is playing good hockey right now. Looks like my favorite McQaide and key penalty killer will be sitting in the stands again when Chara and McAvoy return, then you will see the PK crap out again.

If you're adding Chara to the PK and subtracting McQuaid, it's better, not worse. Not sure how the PK will crap out again.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I still think he's been the only relatively disappointing player on the team this year, but there's no question that he's come up big as of late. That was a big boy play that he made on the Bergeron goal.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
If you're adding Chara to the PK and subtracting McQuaid, it's better, not worse. Not sure how the PK will crap out again.
Nice try they were playing together on the PK there is a right and left D. I know McQuaide was out there for one of the goals but on the previous kill he was out there for nearly the entire penalty.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Its not being tough... its just not labelling him for what he is not....which is a solid 2 way D. Or even has the potential to be that

He is a classic stay at home D that has the jets to bring out of the zone on his own once in a while.

I would like to see him in a Bruins uniform for a long time

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Nice try they were playing together on the PK there is a right and left D. I know McQuaide was out there for one of the goals but on the previous kill he was out there for nearly the entire penalty.

He's a favorite of yours, yet you can't even spell the guy's name right. Where did the "e" come from? :laugh:

Anyways, you said that when Chara and McAvoy come back, McQuaid sits and the PK will take a hit. Even if Chara is a LHD and McQuaid is RHD, it still subs one defenseman in for the other (assuming McQuaid does come out). How does the PK take a hit when you're subbing in a better defenseman?

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
I still think he's been the only relatively disappointing player on the team this year, but there's no question that he's come up big as of late. That was a big boy play that he made on the Bergeron goal.
I would say this is pretty accurate. Up until two weeks ago i was pretty sour on the kid and i have always liked him. There is no doubt he was coached and has been told to turn it up a notch. No doubt. And he has, the kid has been tremendous. I see Seabrook potential here. He can go from a Paul Martin type to a Seabrook type. I think he is now leaning toward a number 2 guy. Which is great for the Bruins.

Reactions: FanSince72

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The day after the Bruins win the most important game of the season thus far, in a game filled with emotion and intensity, AND even had some fisticuffs, and you still find a way to complain about the current game.

While I don't believe today's game is better than in the past, it's no where near as bad as your making it out to be.

Sorry there was no staged fight between two goons to satisfy your desire to see hockey players punch each other in the face.

Add in the fact the Lightning were shitting their pants when the Bruins started getting rough. The end of the game was hilarious, as was the pile up in front when McQuaid was asking a quivering Killorn to go.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Carlo? He's done very well IMO. I don't think we realize the stress it puts on you as a defender when your partner is Torey Krug.

Reactions: maxbme

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Carlo? He's done very well IMO. I don't think we realize the stress it puts on you as a defender when your partner is Torey Krug.

You also notice his mistakes more because he's a stay at home guy. If you don't hear his name, it means he's doing a good job. You only hear his name if he does something incredible, or if he does something bad.

He has had his fair share of turnovers and mistakes this year, but he's a 21 year old top-4 D. A sophomore slump, at least to me, is completely expected. I think you're going to see him really blossom soon.

Concessionaire

That could have gone better.
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2003
New Orleans

That's a good point. Krug has been playing great of late, but part of that is due to his unpredictability. That's got to be tough on his stay-at-home defensive partner.

Still, I think Carlo has taken a real step forward in his progress during the past couple of weeks. I see him playing with more confidence and aggression, two elements I felt were missing midseason.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
That's a good point. Krug has been playing great of late, but part of that is due to his unpredictability. That's got to be tough on his stay-at-home defensive partner.

Still, I think Carlo has taken a real step forward in his progress during the past couple of weeks. I see him playing with more confidence and aggression, two elements I felt were missing midseason.
confidence and aggression; a product of good coaching and hard work. Not bad for a 21 yr old.
I too was frustrated at the beginning of the year with him, but he has looked a lot better lately. It’s along season.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

I get it. It's easy to sit here at our computers and say how sad the physicality aspect of the game is when we don't have to be the ones receiving the punishment. But this game is dangerous. Guys are putting their body and their life after sports on the line. Maybe it was cool when you were in your 20s to watch people get concussed and have their entire life altered, but here in 2018 we have more knowledge and technology, and it certainly isn't cool anymore to watch people ruin their lives for a game and some money.

Don't get me wrong either, I love a good fight, a big hit as much as the next guy, but safety is the first concern for these guys.

It's simple. Either stop watching and turn on some UFC, or stop bitching because it isn't going back to the good old days.

Last edited:

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I feel like people don't realize how rare it is for a 21 year old D to be in his 2nd complete season averaging 20+ minutes over the course of his first 157 games. Keep saying it, but from that draft class, only Provorov and Werenski play bigger roles for their clubs. If he were 25 years old in his 6th professional season, I might be concerned with the ups and downs or spurts where he lacks confidence/assertiveness. He's going through those pains at the NHL level, maintaining a certain level of play, while the large majority of his peers are doing it in the American league.

Even if he just refines his current game a little, he's going to be hugely valuable.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

In my opinion, that could just as easily be a "confidence" thing as a "skill" thing. Carlo is not used to being aggressive offensively, doesn't mean he's incapable. Only time will tell about that, but I thought he looked good (offensively) when he played with Werenski on the US WJC team a couple of years ago.

I believe he has the ability, just needs some swagger.

Reactions: rocketdan9

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

In two-three years at this development curve he will be considered a top pairing RHD all around the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad