Player Discussion Brandon Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
It takes defensemen much longer than forwards to figure it out in the NHL - but Carlo is further along than many others that are his age. He has played like a hobo at a trash fire lately but he’s a smart kid and I do believe he will figure it out.

For upside, I see Brent Seabrook as his potential ceiling. Not saying that’s what he will be, but I think he has the ability to get there.

I’m rooting for him.

Last edited:

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Bruins give struggling Brandon Carlo some down time - The Boston Globe

BUFFALO — Brandon Carlo’s rough game in Toronto on Saturday night turned into a soft seat in the press box here on Sunday. The sophomore defenseman, his game spotty for the past few weeks, was a lineup scratch for the first time in his career, with coach Bruce Cassidy opting to play veteran Adam McQuaid in his place.

“We have talked about having eight capable guys,” noted Cassidy, tamping down speculation that perhaps Carlo was on the trading block. “We want to play the best six every night as best as possible, and we feel Adam did his job very well when he was in.”

But that has not been the case for Carlo of late. He opened the five-game road trip with an ugly minus-4 in a 6-1 loss to Vancouver. Saturday night in Toronto, Cassidy benched him for a few shifts, after the game noting that he felt Carlo had fallen short in terms of the physical challenge.

I have to say that I dislike McQ's "ugly" minus 4 (if it in fact was that last night) more than I dislike Carlo's...b/c AM54 shouldn't be having those at this point in his career.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I have to say that I dislike McQ's "ugly" minus 4 (if it in fact was that last night) more than I dislike Carlo's...b/c AM54 shouldn't be having those at this point in his career.

I don't think that we'll have to endure McQuaid's occasional poor play much longer. This is probably his last season in Boston, while I expect Carlo to be a staple on the defense for years to come.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
So far in 2017-18 there have been 26 NHL defensemen aged 21 or under.

Of those, 26, the players who have played a similar number of games to Carlo (59) are Hanifin, Werenski, McAvoy, Ekblad, Provorov and Dunn.

As everyone is aware, most of those guys are elite high-end first round picks, aside from Dunn. So as a 21 year old, Carlo is being asked to do a lot.

So I guess my point is... we should be patient with him.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
I re-watched the Bs-Pens game and I thought Carlo had some aggression to his game, at least much more than what we're used to.
I saw him manhandled Malkin in the corner, not letting him go and crosschecking him with what seemed like rage just a few moments before the Bs last goal.
I was dubious he could do it, but maybe just maybe he's developping some ruggedness.
Or maybe was it just the flow of the game, I mean, it was so visible those two teams don't like each other.

Reactions: Chief Nine

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
He’s definitely a lot more aggressive recently. And has been trying to jump in the play a bit more.

There were a few shifts last night specifically I felt him and Chara weren’t on the same page. But they’re still a solid pairing.

Also his pinch on the boards led to the GWG.

Reactions: TCB and Strafer

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So far in 2017-18 there have been 26 NHL defensemen aged 21 or under.

Of those, 26, the players who have played a similar number of games to Carlo (59) are Hanifin, Werenski, McAvoy, Ekblad, Provorov and Dunn.

As everyone is aware, most of those guys are elite high-end first round picks, aside from Dunn. So as a 21 year old, Carlo is being asked to do a lot.

So I guess my point is... we should be patient with him.

Exactly.

And outside of maybe Dunn, if you mentioned any of those D-men in a trade proposal, the immediate response you would get is they are untouchable.

Carlo may never be a big point producer, but as a big right-shot D who can skate, defend and impact transition, he's a pretty unique commodity.

I've said before with McAvoy and Carlo on the right side, the Bruins are set-up for the next decade at that position, most teams would drool at the thought given how hard it is to find quality right-shot defenders. Bruins should not, and likely will not, mess with it.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If I end up the Hurricanes GM I'm going to talk to Don about Carlo

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
He does seem to be joining in the offensive play more, and good for him.
He needs to learn to stay on his side of the ice.
Again , he wandered over to Chara's side , on a Philly rush, and his man was wide open and got the pass and a unobstructed chance on Tuukka from in close. It was in the nhl high lites.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Carlo is doing fine. He is a containment defenseman not a bruiser. He keeps players to the outside and is good at pinning them. He also has a great first pass instead of a chip it up the boards defenseman. Could be a little more physical in front of net, but that will come. Only his second year. By the end of the third year you’ll have a good understanding of his potential

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He was an animal last night. Crisp breakout passes, physicality. Our patience will be rewarded!
He's learning to play professionally at the NHL level on a very good team in a big market. He's not learning in the AHL where over 90% of guys drafted where he does start.
As he gets older the NHL wow factor will fade and guys he watched as a kid will be replaced by younger ones and a confluence of experience, confidence, and his skills will have Carlo playing very good strong high end hockey consistently

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
He's playing more assertive . His skating and physicality is better .

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I agree...I have been all over his s*%t....But the last four games, he has been very impressive. Assertive is a great word.
He had a rough game a couple of weeks ago but overall he's been good

Plus the Raffi Torres beat down is my second all time fight by a Bruins behind Stan Jonathan on Pierre Bouchard - but #1 for beating that piece of crap Torres

Reactions: BiGBear8

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
Brandon Carlo Ice time is still avg.over 19 min. thats good for 2nd yr player a must keep for the bruins

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
He's playing more assertive . His skating and physicality is better .

I have to say, for the first time in a while last night I looked at the play and said "Who is that?" when I saw a big mofo on the Bruins defense taking away all the ice and playing the puck safely up and out, but then that turned out not to be Chara. I think this kid has big, big upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->