Brampton in trouble

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Cornwall? Really? The city hasn't had pro hockey since '93, hasn't hosted major junior in almost as long, is smaller than Belleville, and even more economically depressed. Keep reaching.

People just want Cornwall to have a team because reasons.

Realistically... if you're gonna put a team in a new market, try to move them to, like, Greensboro or something.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Greensboro isn't new and the same issues that hindered the Generals and Monarchs are still around. 1. The Greensboro Coliseum is just too massive. 2. It hosts UNC-Greensboro men's basketball already.

They're also getting a D-League team next season that gives the building another 24 dates along with easier conversion than ice. Account for the lack of utilities cost needed to maintain ice, the ACC and NCAA tournaments taking up key late season dates, and the fact that the Coliseum is having no issues finding events, hockey's just not gonna happen unless they have an Annex like in Winston-Salem.

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
I'm operating under the assumption that a pro team will subsidize the smaller market as a hub for prospects.

Obviously it would lose money at first.

BladesFan10

Jan 26, 2016
One thing I have not seen considered is if a new, RICH, owner gets involved in Brampton or a new expansion franchise, what about them building their own arena. The Florida Everblades own their arena and have done pretty well over the years. I know its a real longshot, but if you get someone involved that needs to dump some money for tax or other purposes, what would stop them from potentially moving the team and building a new arena in a new city.

Canucks21

Feb 24, 2015
Canada
One thing I have not seen considered is if a new, RICH, owner gets involved in Brampton or a new expansion franchise, what about them building their own arena. The Florida Everblades own their arena and have done pretty well over the years. I know its a real longshot, but if you get someone involved that needs to dump some money for tax or other purposes, what would stop them from potentially moving the team and building a new arena in a new city.

Owners don't build arenas cuz they dont get any money out of it

BladesFan10

Jan 26, 2016
Owners don't build arenas cuz they dont get any money out of it

Maybe not in just Hockey, but in all the other events they can host it does. Whether they can get those events is another question. Looking at Germain Arena, owned and operated by the Everblades and has events going on including Hockey at least 120-150 days per year depending on acts and other things. If an owner had money they needed spent, owning an arena and team would allow them to spend spend spend on the Hockey side triggering an overall loss.

Once the team is finished they will still have an arena that could make them good profits if it's in the right geographical area. For Germain Arena, it's the only 8500 seat (concerts) closed venue in a major area between Miami and Tampa and is located right off I-75. If the geography and ownership is right, it can work

Canucks21

Feb 24, 2015
Canada
Maybe not in just Hockey, but in all the other events they can host it does. Whether they can get those events is another question. Looking at Germain Arena, owned and operated by the Everblades and has events going on including Hockey at least 120-150 days per year depending on acts and other things. If an owner had money they needed spent, owning an arena and team would allow them to spend spend spend on the Hockey side triggering an overall loss.

Once the team is finished they will still have an arena that could make them good profits if it's in the right geographical area. For Germain Arena, it's the only 8500 seat (concerts) closed venue in a major area between Miami and Tampa and is located right off I-75. If the geography and ownership is right, it can work

Thats one example and if someone go and build a new arena in Brampton would they have that many events when Toronto is only 30mins away

BladesFan10

Jan 26, 2016
Thats one example and if someone go and build a new arena in Brampton would they have that many events when Toronto is only 30mins away

I do agree with you on the Brampton part. What I mean is if the team relocates to another city and builds its own arena. Building an arena near toronto and expecting it survive would be economic suicide, I agree with you on that,

Canucks21

Feb 24, 2015
Canada
I do agree with you on the Brampton part. What I mean is if the team relocates to another city and builds its own arena. Building an arena near toronto and expecting it survive would be economic suicide, I agree with you on that,

Then yes if you buy the team and move it in another market in your own arena yes you might make some money

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
I also find it funny how the city Brampton expects a minor league team that's been around for less than half a decade to cough up 1.5 million dollars out of nowhere.

I mean if you want no money at all, go right ahead. Boot the team out. :cry: :help:

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Does anyone have any details on how the 3 games in Belleville did? This is the first time I have heard about these games.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
It was previously reported that Brampton Council would review a report on the Beast request for bail-out money sometime in March. Anyone have an exact date of that meeting?

jpc7734

Sep 26, 2012
East Avenue
It was previously reported that Brampton Council would review a report on the Beast request for bail-out money sometime in March. Anyone have an exact date of that meeting?

Not sure on the council meeting but the ECHL gave the Beast till March 10th to figure its mess out. As per Brampton Guardian.

Artie Fufkin

Jan 11, 2014

xmcd

Mar 4, 2016

The committee meeting was on Wednesday (March 2, 2016) and the staff reported that there was little indication that the team would generate a profit. The committee amended the request for a $1.5m infusion to a $300K/yr over 5 years (basically the cost of rent) with possible consideration about the purchase of the rink. The council will review this committee report next Tuesday (March 9, 2016) and vote on the amended report.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
I went to their home game a few weeks back when they hosted the Wheeling Nailers. There were actually quite a few Nailers fans that made the trek. Attendance was certainly less than what was listed (2,776). Arena was meh, but the staff was great. I will say this: the lack of attendance certainly wasn't for a lack showmanship. The gameday presentation for the Beast went far above and beyond what is the norm for minor league hockey, with multiple fog machines, an extensive pregame laser light show, and plenty of goofy but fun filler in the timeouts and intermissions. I was impressed.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I went to their home game a few weeks back when they hosted the Wheeling Nailers. There were actually quite a few Nailers fans that made the trek. Attendance was certainly less than what was listed (2,776). Arena was meh, but the staff was great. I will say this: the lack of attendance certainly wasn't for a lack showmanship. The gameday presentation for the Beast went far above and beyond what is the norm for minor league hockey, with multiple fog machines, an extensive pregame laser light show, and plenty of goofy but fun filler in the timeouts and intermissions. I was impressed.

The nailers have fans?!

Watching on TV I thought they had a quality feed. I wasn't expecting much. Maybe the best one I've seen this year. Its up there anyway with South Carolina, Florida and Toledo.

Some of the worst are Wheeling, Kalamazoo, Manchester, Reading and Adirondack.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
The nailers have fans?!

Yeah, plenty of them. I make the hour drive from Pittsburgh to Wheeling a few times a season, as do many other Pens fans. Many also travel for road games. Wheeling's attendance isn't great, but it's a very small city so there's not a lot to draw from. They also report attendance pretty accurately-- not much, if any, juicing to the numbers.

Something to keep in mind (since you regularly bash Wheeling) is that attendance is only one small piece of a the puzzle to a franchise's financial standing. So while Wheeling's gate revenue may be low in comparison to other ECHL teams, they also have much lower operating costs. The ownership is a nonprofit specifically designed to simply keep the team there, so they anticipate operating at a loss and write it off. They have a sweetheart deal in the lease, so rent is cheap. Cost of living in Wheeling is low, so they spend little on player housing and expenses. Their location is a short drive from many opponents, so their travel costs are reasonable. They're the only sport in town, so they do pretty well in sponsor and ad revenue.

Wheeling is a pretty good reminder that judging which teams might collapse based on attendance alone is silly.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Yeah, plenty of them. I make the hour drive from Pittsburgh to Wheeling a few times a season, as do many other Pens fans. Many also travel for road games. Wheeling's attendance isn't great, but it's a very small city so there's not a lot to draw from. They also report attendance pretty accurately-- not much, if any, juicing to the numbers.

Something to keep in mind (since you regularly bash Wheeling) is that attendance is only one small piece of a the puzzle to a franchise's financial standing. So while Wheeling's gate revenue may be low in comparison to other ECHL teams, they also have much lower operating costs. The ownership is a nonprofit specifically designed to simply keep the team there, so they anticipate operating at a loss and write it off. They have a sweetheart deal in the lease, so rent is cheap. Cost of living in Wheeling is low, so they spend little on player housing and expenses. Their location is a short drive from many opponents, so their travel costs are reasonable. They're the only sport in town, so they do pretty well in sponsor and ad revenue.

Wheeling is a pretty good reminder that judging which teams might collapse based on attendance alone is silly.

These teams in small markets are constantly in trouble. Especially in today's game. I don't think its if teams like them, Kalamazoo and Elmira will disappear, its when.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad