Brampton in trouble

Scoutin1

May 9, 2011
You know, I know we tend to go off-topic, but I do miss the original IHL.

I do too (the pre 1994 IHL). After that the League tried to be something that it shouldn't, and that what's led to its demise. The Komet/Ice rivalry was awesome. There was pure hatred on each side for the other. Good times.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I do too (the pre 1994 IHL). After that the League tried to be something that it shouldn't, and that what's led to its demise. The Komet/Ice rivalry was awesome. There was pure hatred on each side for the other. Good times.

I miss rivalries too. Thanks for ruining that affiliated hockey!

I miss jackals and Adirondack icehaek brawls and little ***** like littlejohn.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
This site needs a "like" button.

I haven't been to an ECHL game in over 2 years but when I was still going regularly by the end I just noticed there was no intensity, very little passion. I don't need fights but I'd kill for rivalries and some intense games. Instead it was like watching a rich man's beer league. Lots of skating and scoring. While that's all good watching a game where every shift is tough and interesting is good theatre. Even the playoff series were lackluster. I think people confuse wanting to see fighting with wanting entertainment and interesting. I mean it seems like they hardly throw checks.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
This site needs a "like" button.

I haven't been to an ECHL game in over 2 years but when I was still going regularly by the end I just noticed there was no intensity, very little passion. I don't need fights but I'd kill for rivalries and some intense games. Instead it was like watching a rich man's beer league. Lots of skating and scoring. While that's all good watching a game where every shift is tough and interesting is good theatre. Even the playoff series were lackluster. I think people confuse wanting to see fighting with wanting entertainment and interesting. I mean it seems like they hardly throw checks.

toledo109

Dec 15, 2015
To get into ECHL hockey, it truly depends on what market your in. Some market are totally great while some are truly a pit.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Does anybody really think that the city board is going to bail out the Beast? I think they might consider, but it's not like the team has done much to develop some kind of bond with the city. I mean, with the OHL, you can tell which cities suffer when a team moves and which cities have apathy. When Belleville lost the Bulls to Hamilton, you could've felt the heart being ripped out. When the Battalion moved to North Bay... you probably could've heard crickets chirp.

Of course, if Brampton does move... where do they go?

Hurricane Ron

Jul 23, 2015
Tulsa
With the issues in Brampton and Evansville, wondering if the ECHL drops back to 26 teams next season?

With Brampton in a 4 team division, their loss would result in another team from the East having to move into their division, if the ECHL keeps the 3 divisions in one conference format. As Evansville is in a 5 team division, their loss wouldn't have the same impact on the current division setup. The other option would be to move to 2 divisions (as they did in 2014-2015) in each conference.

With Worcester joining the league in 2017-2018, this would give the league a year to find a location for another team to bring the league back up to 28 teams.

The unknown at this time is if the Evansville to Owensboro move actually takes place; and if the Brampton owners have another location ready to roll for next year, if their issues can't be worked out. If these two things happen, then there isn't an issue.

Seems like this is the norm this time of year every season; teams in trouble, and teams on the move.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
With the issues in Brampton and Evansville, wondering if the ECHL drops back to 26 teams next season?

With Brampton in a 4 team division, their loss would result in another team from the East having to move into their division, if the ECHL keeps the 3 divisions in one conference format. As Evansville is in a 5 team division, their loss wouldn't have the same impact on the current division setup. The other option would be to move to 2 divisions (as they did in 2014-2015) in each conference.

With Worcester joining the league in 2017-2018, this would give the league a year to find a location for another team to bring the league back up to 28 teams.

The unknown at this time is if the Evansville to Owensboro move actually takes place; and if the Brampton owners have another location ready to roll for next year, if their issues can't be worked out. If these two things happen, then there isn't an issue.

Seems like this is the norm this time of year every season; teams in trouble, and teams on the move.

Well, if you lose both, what they'd likely do would be to move Reading to the North Division in the Eastern Conference. That'd be the only shift.

Of course, things get really crazy if Brampton moves out West. Evansville to Owensboro is no real shift and they can stay in their division, but to me, where Brampton may go is the wild card of it all.

JackalsKnuckles

Jun 18, 2007
Well, if you lose both, what they'd likely do would be to move Reading to the North Division in the Eastern Conference. That'd be the only shift.

Of course, things get really crazy if Brampton moves out West. Evansville to Owensboro is no real shift and they can stay in their division, but to me, where Brampton may go is the wild card of it all.

Why would we think Brampton is moving? I don't think there are too many cities beating down the door to get an ECHL team. They will likely just fold or go dormant.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I'm not sure why they would move Reading to the North. It doesn't make much sense to me. Then you have a division of Elmira and the Chesters. I guess Adirondack if they last but if Elmira or Adirondack fold then that won't be necessary. This is a season and a half out.

Its already dumb to me that Brampton is in the North and that Norfolk is in the other division.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Why would we think Brampton is moving? I don't think there are too many cities beating down the door to get an ECHL team. They will likely just fold or go dormant.

They'll likely find somebody dumb enough or desperate enough to want something resembling a pro team. I personally believe they might find that market that'll think "You know what? We need a hockey team."

I don't mean to sound harsh, but that's just the way I view it.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I'm not sure why they would move Reading to the North. It doesn't make much sense to me. Then you have a division of Elmira and the Chesters. I guess Adirondack if they last but if Elmira or Adirondack fold then that won't be necessary. This is a season and a half out.

Its already dumb to me that Brampton is in the North and that Norfolk is in the other division.

Problem is math and the desire for evenness. You dump Evansville, and their division still has 4 teams. You dump Brampton, and suddenly they have just 3, and you're forced to transplant somebody to fill in that division so you have a 5-4-4 alignment.

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
Worcester and New Orleans would fill the gap.

Still keeping my fingers crossed. Why oh why did they pick the name the Beast?! Not even Beasts! Nor Bears, nor Bombers.

Hurricane Ron

Jul 23, 2015
Tulsa

Still keeping my fingers crossed. Why oh why did they pick the name the Beast?! Not even Beasts! Nor Bears, nor Bombers.

New Orleans?

Unless the ECHL wants another team on an island, I can't see that happening. There are too many locations in the league, in my opinion, where teams arrive for 2 or 3 games in a row. Adding New Orleans would only add one more, and provide no natural geographic rivals for the fan base.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

Ahhh, another pie-in-the-sky fanboi who thinks you can just put a team anywhere...

New Orleans has no arena. The ECHL's New Orleans Brass played in the Smoothie King Center - until they were kicked out when the NBA came to town. There's no other rink there, the Morris F.X. Jeffs Coliseum is in no shape to host anything, and the State of Louisiana is broke. So keep dreaming.

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
Cornwall still an option? Perhaps with a Ottawa/Montreal affiliation?

Adding New Orleans would only add one more, and provide no natural geographic rivals for the fan base

Was thinking of Florida teams+Atlanta and whoever else they can add. Are they too far?

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

Adding New Orleans would only add one more, and provide no natural geographic rivals for the fan base

Was thinking of Florida teams+Atlanta and whoever else they can add. Are they too far?

Approximately 15 hours from New Orleans to Fort Myers, 12 hours to Orlando, 10 hours to Atlanta, 8 hours to Dallas.

Look on a map.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

Cornwall? Really? The city hasn't had pro hockey since '93, hasn't hosted major junior in almost as long, is smaller than Belleville, and even more economically depressed. Keep reaching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad