Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Those were all before COVID, completely different
Why? Covid being used as an excuse here is a little funny. Why can't teams give bonuses, they are subject to escrow just the same. They are subject to the 50/50 split of HRR. Teams could give them in the later years of contracts when the economy is expected to have recovered., You use Covid as a catchall excuse but the point I was making is the player's you've used as proof aren't good comparables because they don't have the same incentives to negotiate for bonus money. Hughes might be a good litmus test, as is Tkachuk himself.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
This is a really bad stance given we have seen two-three young players sign long term here already. Plus, even if signing bonuses or structure of the deal was an issue, that would have nothing to do with Dorion. Do you think he cares about bonuses or structure? Not at all given it’s not his money.

You can think whatever you’re want but as bondra said it’s not always the teams problem

Well we're are Well below of the cap floor, signings your captain/highest paid player is on management and ownership.

Yeah the bonuses is definitely on Melnyk, but he's gotta prove himself with some of these deals.

It is the teams problem, it's both there problems. Tkachuks camp and this org - but to suggest the team/org has been perfect and its all Tkahcuks fault if we can't get him signed long term is silly imo. Don't have the status to allow that.

Ill save my judgement for the actual signing and I'm sure more details will come out after that

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
How much of an over-payment is acceptable before it becomes absolutely ridiculous? 8 million per year is already an over-payment, what price are you willing to pay to "get your captain signed", 9 million, 10 million?

I would rather we trade Tkachuk if it means giving him a contract that handcuffs the team's ability to sign other young players in the next 2-3 years when they are due.

I think with Tkachuk you attempt to set an internal cap, he's the captain and most important players- nobody gets paid more than him.

Overpay and hope you can handle Norris Stutzle and Sanderson

I'm guessing the structure is a massive issue, like maybe it's an 8-8.5 mil aav but wants 10-11 on the backend of a contract. Escrow is a bitch too

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I know you disagree, you already said as much. You attempting to put it unequivocally means little.
How about I put it this way - if somebody were to even bother talking about his contract before the summer of 22/23 (in the scenario he signs for three years), then they are a loser and/or drama queen

Oct 10, 2010
Might as well just trade him now, we all know how this road will end otherwise.
Agreed - hopefully they trade him next off season and cash in on max value.
If they can’t offer him a signing bonus ( if that’s the hold up ) now couple years won’t make a difference.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
How about I put it this way - if somebody were to even bother talking about his contract before the summer of 22/23 (in the scenario he signs for three years), then they are a loser and/or drama queen
Name calling and being intolerant of what others choose to discuss is not much of an improvement. People get paid to talk about sports, and specifically the business side of it is the bread and butter for a lot of them, so they're just doing their job, I don't see how you can fault them for that.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
As much as I enjoy bashing Melnyk, there are other teams which also don't do bonuses.

It is important that the Maple Leafs not be allowed to set the standard on that front.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Name calling and being intolerant of what others choose to discuss is not much of an improvement. People get paid to talk about sports, and specifically the business side of it is the bread and butter for a lot of them, so they're just doing their job, I don't see how you can fault them for that.
Because it would be pointless. I would fault anyone for it.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Disappointed that we are looking at a short term deal now.

It was something I posted that the Tkachuk group wanted months ago but didn't think they would be so hard up to go short term.

Definitely thought the 8 x 8 would have gotten it done.

Reactions: Icelevel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad