Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
That’s what am I am saying so what the hell are you arguing about dude?

Sens don’t give bonus money
Tkachuk wants bonus money

That’s the facts.
I’m saying he doesn’t have much ground to stand on given recent comparables

I doubt he’ll get any

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Are you actually going to be wondering this? Maybe just watch the games.
Nothing to do with me specifically really. There's just no security knowing if he'll be a part of the team going forward and I think it keeps the discussion alive for a team that doesn't need that and obviously wanted to try to put it to bed with a long term deal.

It'll be in the forefront of many people's minds, including the talking heads on tv and radio if it's only a short term 2 or 3 year deal.

If it's a 2 year deal, they will already be speculating halfway in to this season what's gonna happen with Tkachuk in a year and a half.

If it's a 3 year deal, we probably get a one year grace period before it's a "problem" again and you start having to weigh his desire to sign long term when the opportunity comes or if he needs to be moved before then to avoid selling low like Stone.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Nothing to do with me specifically really. There's just no security knowing if he'll be a part of the team going forward and I think it keeps the discussion alive for a team that doesn't need that and obviously wanted to try to put it to bed with a long term deal.

It'll be in the forefront of many people's minds, including the talking heads on tv and radio if it's only a short term 2 or 3 year deal.

If it's a 2 year deal, they will already be speculating halfway in to this season what's gonna happen with Tkachuk. If it's a 3 year deal, we probably get a one year grace period before it's a "problem" again.
If he’s signed for three years, nobody is going to talk about his next contract for at least another two years. It doesn’t really make a difference to me as this was the most likely contract, I don’t foresee any drama from it. Still to be determined what he will actually sign though.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I’m saying he doesn’t have much ground to stand on given recent comparables

I doubt he’ll get any

If your recent compatibles are Svechnikov and Makar then those players got bonus money. It’s not as much as the richer teams tend to give out but it’s still more than Ottawa ever offers to their players which is $0.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If he’s signed for three years, nobody is going to talk about his next contract for at least another two years. It doesn’t really make a difference to me as this was the most likely contract, I don’t foresee any drama from it. Still to be determined what he will actually sign though.
I disagree that it won't be talked about that soon, especially considering the team he plays for, but I do agree a long term deal may not be off the table yet either.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
That’s what am I am saying so what the hell are you arguing about dude?

Sens don’t give bonus money
Tkachuk wants bonus money

That’s the facts.

Players now want, back loaded deals, not front loaded, due to escrow.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Ok so I just listened to the clip, and yeah, Friedman said that he knows Ottawa has started discussing shorter team deals because they couldn't get a long term deal done.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
This is why I hate that we tried to use the C to negotiate. It totally backfired, gave the Tkachuk side leverage if anything, and potentially creates weirdness in the room.
The problem is that we did it through the media. Melnyk can hire as many PR firms as he wants, anytime he's in front of a microphone it's going to hurt the team.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Which team has all of their players signed without bonus money?

Winnipeg, and they are pretty close comaprable to us in terms of market size/strength.

Anaheim.

St. Louis only have Ryan O'Reilly, but they inherited that contract from Buffalo.

Colorado have very little bonus money, just 1M each to Landeskog and Makar. Kadri's deal was inherited from Toronto.

NYI only have 1.5M paid to Pulock.

I don't think the Senators can set a precedent of handing out bonus money. Once Tkachuk gets it, then Stutzle, Norris, Sanderson and everybody else will want it. Liquidity just isn't there for that.

I think we all know where the Tkachuk/Ottawa relationship is headed.

Reactions: Fandlauer

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
His brother got 7.5 million in Signing bonuses on his 3 year deal, 35% of his contract with a 9 million QO.

Brady will be looking for the same type of deal, whether that’s 3 or 8 years.

Same family, same agent, same mindset.

Sens don’t do Bonus money very often (Bobby Ryan notwithstanding). That’s where an impasse would lie.

Reactions: Boud

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Winnipeg, and they are pretty close comaprable to us in terms of market size/strength.

Anaheim.

St. Louis only have Ryan O'Reilly, but they inherited that contract from Buffalo.

Colorado have very little bonus money, just 1M each to Landeskog and Makar. Kadri's deal was inherited from Toronto.

NYI only have 1.5M paid to Pulock.

I don't think the Senators can set a precedent of handing out bonus money. Once Tkachuk gets it, then Stutzle, Norris, Sanderson and everybody else will want it. Liquidity just isn't there for that.

I think we all know where the Tkachuk/Ottawa relationship is headed.

come on.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
Dumb Dumb Dorion...you had one job all summer

What do you want him to do? The Senators offered a deal most would consider extremely generous for a player of Tkachuk's track record. He wouldn't get 8x8 in any other market.

The player doesn't want that sort of deal, and the Senators have financial limitations on what they can offer in terms of structure.

It is what it is.

Reactions: DrEasy and Flamingo

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
His brother got 7.5 million in Signing bonuses on his 3 year deal, 35% of his contract with a 9 million QO.

Brady will be looking for the same type of deal, whether that’s 3 or 8 years.

Same family, same agent, same mindset.

Sens don’t do Bonus money very often (Bobby Ryan notwithstanding). That’s where an impasse would lie.

Bonus and also just overall trust in the team and management. This team doesn't have a good rep necessarily so if you want to see that what they've been telling you is true (We will be a competitive team spending to the cap) then you take a short term deal and see if it's true or not.

To me it never was realistic to expect a longer term deal with Tkachuk. We'll see and I'm still hoping but it doesn't seem like it would be in Tkachuk's best interest.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008

Well - I can understand if you think this not the right time for me to be saying this sort of thing...

...but you're a smart guy. You know as well as I do that the odds of these two parties ever coming to a long-term agreement are very low.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
What do you want him to do? The Senators offered a deal most would consider extremely generous for a player of Tkachuk's track record. He wouldn't get 8x8 in any other market.

The player doesn't want that sort of deal, and the Senators have financial limitations on what they can offer in terms of structure.

It is what it is.

This is all speculation

I want him to get his captain signed long term. That'd what everyone wants, Brady included

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Don’t think that’s true, hence the holdup

I’d imagine they have the exact same mindset as the Matthew negotiations.

Yeah maybe

We got one day left, let's see what a full Summers worth or contract talks got us.

Not like we were busy with improving the roster

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Who's going to talk about his contract next offseason or during the 22/23 season if he signs for three years?
The media "talking heads" be it local or national. His next big deal and if he's willing to sign it in Ottawa and be the leader long term will be at the forefront of any Senators contract discussion. 3 years quiets it for an extra year, but it leaves them with only 1 year of runway at the end. 2 years and its so short you're already looking ahead to the what ifs.

You don't think there will be speculation about it with 1.5-2 years left? Considering Ottawa's recent history with the media and fans, and the comparable trajectory to Stone?

When things were coming to a head in Ottawa with the last round of stars, there was a whole lot of speculation the summer and year prior to their last years, it wasn't like it only began the year they were all expiring. The dread loomed large over the franchise for a couple years.

Like I said before, I don't think it's the end of the world, it will just cause speculation if its a bridge deal, but its more of an unfortunate circumstance that the team obviously wanted to avoid and just put the talk to bed completely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad