Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah maybe

We got one day left, let's see what a full Summers worth or contract talks got us.

Not like we were busy with improving the roster
Can’t blame Dorion or Melnyk if the player doesn’t want a long term deal. 8 x 8 is more than fair for whys been shown on the ice., should that be true as is being reported.

Same way Calgary tried their best at getting Matthew signed long term but couldn’t.

Brady very well may want to, and will sign a long term deal, but based on past precedence and involvement with the family, I’d wager they want short term

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Can’t blame Dorion or Melnyk if the player doesn’t want a long term deal. Same way Calgary tried their best at getting Matthew signed long term but couldn’t.
A short-term deal is what I expected. Melnyk negotiating through the media was not needed, so I blame him for the captaincy controversy coming up.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The sens not giving out bonus money is fact. But it’s also fact that other RFAs are not getting much. Makar just got $1 million. Svechkbikov $4M. Chabot got $0.
There was far less incentive for Makar or Svechnokov to bother asking for bonus money. For Tkachuk as an American who's primary residence is in the states and plays in Canada, there are big tax advantages to bonuses, those advantages don't exist for Makar or Svechnokov so why would they give up anything to get bonuses? It's not really a comparable situation. Nylander got tons of bonus money, Boeser got significant bonus money, Gaudreau got bonus money, the key is Americans playing in Canada will want bonus money, the thing is they should have to give a bit to get.

Reactions: Wondercarrot

Carrie Underwood

Jul 28, 2010
Short term deal, him and Matt will probably end up trying to go to St Louis together.... Seems like their dream

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I'm cool with a 2 year deal. Would have preferred long term, but not at 8 mil(if Brady improves to a 60-70 point guy, then sure, but not now).

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Can’t blame Dorion or Melnyk if the player doesn’t want a long term deal. 8 x 8 is more than fair for whys been shown on the ice., should that be true as is being reported.

Same way Calgary tried their best at getting Matthew signed long term but couldn’t.

Brady very well may want to, and will sign a long term deal, but based on past precedence and involvement with the family, I’d wager they want short term

Of course I can, we don't know if that was officially offered nor the structure of that deal. Escrow and bonuses are no doubt a major factor in this.

Garrioch clearly painting the positive picture for those fans who don't like to remember Melnyk and Dorion have run an absolute bargain bin embarrassment of an org for years.

Do people not think years of being cheap and non competitive are factoring into negotiations with players? The history of the org is 100% involved in this contract. Why do you think a player wants to be Overpaid to play for this team?

I won't absolve Tkachuks camp of blame, I know they are tough negotiators, but to think Dorion and Melnyk hold no issue here is utter laughable.

Get your captain signed. Prove you're not a basement organization. Till then, you're the same tad pole

Last edited:
Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Was that on his podcast., Did he say if short term is 2 years or up to 5 years?

It was on the latest ray and dregs podcast and he didn’t mention length and just talked about that $64M has been offered at 8x8 and the hold up in the salary structure.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Of course I can, we don't know if that was officially offered nor the structure of that deal. Escrow and bonuses are no doubt a major factor in this.

Garrioch clearly painting the positive picture for those fans who don't like to remember Melnyk and Dorion have run an absolute bargain bin embarrassment of an org for years.

Do people not think years of being cheap and non competitive are factoring into negotiations with players? The history of the org is 100% involved in this contract. Why do you think a player wants to be Overpaid to play for this team?

I won't absolve Tkachuks camp of blame, I know they are tough negotiators, but to think Dorion and Melnyk hold no issue here is utter laughable.

Get your captain signed. Prove you're not a basement organization. Till then, you're the same tad pole
Well I think that’s pretty foolish

Of course the organization has been in shambles. If someone doesn’t want to sign a long term extension, that’s on that player and the teams past.

Why would you get mad if you know and understand why Tkachuk doesn’t want to sign long term?

What do you think would be a bridge built by Dorion to get over that possible divide?

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Well - I can understand if you think this not the right time for me to be saying this sort of thing...

...but you're a smart guy. You know as well as I do that the odds of these two parties ever coming to a long-term agreement are very low.
I don’t agree with that

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

This is a really bad stance given we have seen two-three young players sign long term here already. Plus, even if signing bonuses or structure of the deal was an issue, that would have nothing to do with Dorion. Do you think he cares about bonuses or structure? Not at all given it’s not his money.

You can think whatever you’re want but as bondra said it’s not always the teams problem

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
There was far less incentive for Makar or Svechnokov to bother asking for bonus money. For Tkachuk as an American who's primary residence is in the states and plays in Canada, there are big tax advantages to bonuses, those advantages don't exist for Makar or Svechnokov so why would they give up anything to get bonuses? It's not really a comparable situation. Nylander got tons of bonus money, Boeser got significant bonus money, Gaudreau got bonus money, the key is Americans playing in Canada will want bonus money, the thing is they should have to give a bit to get.
Those were all before COVID, completely different

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
The media "talking heads" be it local or national. His next big deal and if he's willing to sign it in Ottawa and be the leader long term will be at the forefront of any Senators contract discussion. 3 years quiets it for an extra year, but it leaves them with only 1 year of runway at the end. 2 years and its so short you're already looking ahead to the what ifs.

You don't think there will be speculation about it with 1.5-2 years left? Considering Ottawa's recent history with the media and fans, and the comparable trajectory to Stone?

When things were coming to a head in Ottawa with the last round of stars, there was a whole lot of speculation the summer and year prior to their last years, it wasn't like it only began the year they were all expiring. The dread loomed large over the franchise for a couple years.

Like I said before, I don't think it's the end of the world, it will just cause speculation if its a bridge deal, but its more of an unfortunate circumstance that the team obviously wanted to avoid and just put the talk to bed completely.
Absolutely not to be honest. It would only be a news matter at the end of the 22/23 season

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Well I think that’s pretty foolish

Of course the organization has been in shambles. If someone doesn’t want to sign a long term extension, that’s on that player and the teams past.

Why would you get mad if you know and understand why Tkachuk doesn’t want to sign long term?

What do you think would be a bridge built by Dorion to get over that possible divide?

I meant I think players that want to sign long term may also want to be Overpaid to do so, or at the least have more of a favorable position in negotiations.

I think Brady will be Overpaid, to what extent I don't know. But this is soemthing we have to live with due to the ownership and management of this team.

If people and/or management is not willing to accept that - were gonna continue down the same path of mediocrity by not having key players commit.

Once we change the status of this team (contenders) I think we will be in a better spot.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

How much of an over-payment is acceptable before it becomes absolutely ridiculous? 8 million per year is already an over-payment, what price are you willing to pay to "get your captain signed", 9 million, 10 million?

I would rather we trade Tkachuk if it means giving him a contract that handcuffs the team's ability to sign other young players in the next 2-3 years when they are due.

Reactions: DrEasy and Senscore

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It was on the latest ray and dregs podcast and he didn’t mention length and just talked about that $64M has been offered at 8x8 and the hold up in the salary structure.

Ok thanks, so nothing new really then, that’s already been speculated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad