Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
8x8 ... He should grab that and jump for joy.. regardless of trade clauses or structure or bonuses.
Take the fn 8x8 and get on with it.
At least take the 8x8 in proincipal .. negotiate some bells and whistles and move on.
You want to finesse the negotiation to get more its just greed

Obviously it's a lack of faith in ownership that is preventing him from jumping on board eyes closed. If the team had already shown it is willing to spend and go all in when it matters, this is probably done already. As is, his camp probably wants either a short-term deal, taking a wait-and-see approach in regards to spending in the next 2-3 years as the kids become competitive, or a long-term deal with enough money included to make them forget about who owns the team lol.

It's bad for us fans, but I can understand Tkachuk's POV.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Obviously it's a lack of faith in ownership that is preventing him from jumping on board eyes closed. If the team had already shown it is willing to spend and go all in when it matters, this is probably done already. As is, his camp probably wants either a short-term deal, taking a wait-and-see approach in regards to spending in the next 2-3 years as the kids become competitive, or a long-term deal with enough money included to make them forget about who owns the team lol.

Its good to hear the team is offering 8x8. At least we know they're serious and obviously prepared to put their best foot forward and not screw around.

Its above fair value, so if it doesn't get signed, it seems obvious it's Brady's decision to go short term only.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Its good to hear the team is offering 8x8. At least we know they're serious and obviously prepared to put their best foot forward and not screw around.

Its above fair value, so if it doesn't get signed, it seems obvious it's Brady's decision to go short term only.

No doubt any deal under 8 years is due to Brady's camp. Dorion knows he needs to lock him up for as long as possible.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

I just hope that if Brady chooses not to sign for 8YRs, that the team doesn't compromise on term and give him something stupid like a 3 year bridge deal or a 5 year term that makes him a UFA at 25/26 and probably leads to him running out the door at the first opportunity ala Stone.

Should be made clear to him that the alternative to the massive 8x8 deal and captaincy is a 2 year bridge deal at something like 4-6M, with no captaincy of course.

Reactions: SENStastic

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

And there’s nothing wrong with that nor would it signal he doesn’t want to be here long term. The sens could benefit from a short term deal as well, as I don’t see him ever earning more than 8 million

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Find a list of 50 point RFA’s that signed 7-8 million dollar contracts. Brady is trying to bridge for more than he will ever be worth.
Blaming everything on ownership is the go too but they are not responsible for his ridiculous demands

Reactions: guyzeur

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
@Agent Zub

If you can point out where I said anything about other players and their compete level dropping without Brady im all ears.

But your post proved my point exactly. You've never played any type of competive hockey whatsoever based on your response.

Have a good one bud. There is still room left on the Brady bandwagon whenever you decide to join. :)
20210914_184606.jpg

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
How many players do you all think the Sens need to keep long term to maintain the identity they are trying to create? Before it was Alfie, Neil, Philips. They were the constants. Who are the new ones? If Brady is one of them do you pay for it? If Brady is going to be that constant, is it fair for him to question whether or not the team will be able to fill holes that appear in the roster? Is the team planning on filling the majority of those internally with the draft? Just some thoughts rolling around my head.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Find a list of 50 point RFA’s that signed 7-8 million dollar contracts. Brady is trying to bridge for more than he will ever be worth.
Blaming everything on ownership is the go too but they are not responsible for his ridiculous demands
If ownership wouldnt have tired to always make everything about staying as cheap as possible,maybe they would have cred with players and agents to actually believe they will spend for once

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It won't surprise me at all if the deal is already done & they are just waiting for him to arrive in Ottawa to announce it & make it a front page news article. I hope it is 8X8 so we won't have to talk about this for quite some time, although there will always be those who will complain about it no matter how well he does & it will never be enough for some. And given that it has been all over the media I also expect he gets the captaincy.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I just hope that if Brady chooses not to sign for 8YRs, that the team doesn't compromise on term and give him something stupid like a 3 year bridge deal or a 5 year term that makes him a UFA at 25/26 and probably leads to him running out the door at the first opportunity ala Stone.

Should be made clear to him that the alternative to the massive 8x8 deal and captaincy is a 2 year bridge deal at something like 4-6M, with no captaincy of course.
YA, I'm not a fan of a 3 year deal either. Go with 1 or 2 and try to revisit a long term deal or start considering the hard decision of moving on if he won't budge then either. 3 years brings him too close to UFA and is too much of a pressure point with no leverage, while 5 years pretty much signs his ticket out in only 5 years, since it will be a monstrous UFA contract next up. If you want to be pro-active and start thinking about moving him before losing him, then we're only 3-4 years away from refreshing the drama again.
And there’s nothing wrong with that nor would it signal he doesn’t want to be here long term. The sens could benefit from a short term deal as well, as I don’t see him ever earning more than 8 million
I agree, I don't think its a clear signal he wants out, but if its about bean counting and maxing out every penny possible, I can't say I'm optimistic about a long term deal down the road either, unless he doesn't trend in to the player we think he'll be. If he goes and puts up over 70 points along with the rest of what he brings, we're probably looking at 9-10.5 mil x 8 years and i don't think that gets done in Ottawa.

Melnyk's feelings on the captaincy are an unfortunate reality in that scenario as well.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh dont think anyone cares about giving BT 8 mil per...Its wanting to have him play with the team for longer than 3 years,we really dont need another Stone rerun

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
@Agent Zub

If you can point out where I said anything about other players and their compete level dropping without Brady im all ears.

But your post proved my point exactly. You've never played any type of competive hockey whatsoever based on your response.

Have a good one bud. There is still room left on the Brady bandwagon whenever you decide to join. :)View attachment 464854

So vague.

And I am on the Brady bandwagon. It just doesn't mean I want to support a blatant overpay that could hamper our teams ability to win.

Brady's style is valuable but our forwards are generally physical. And you have guy like Boucher and Kleven coming up who could become an even bigger physical threats than Brady.

It is wrong to believe that for some reason Brady is the one holding things together with his intagibles and his physical play. The team is going to be good even without him, they have the talent, the will, and the defensive depth.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
If ownership wouldnt have tired to always make everything about staying as cheap as possible,maybe they would have cred with players and agents to actually believe they will spend for once

Batherson Chabot White.....what one didn’t get paid more than their peers from other teams?
It’s about a 50 point guy looking for a 70 point bridge deal. He might be worth 7+ in 3 or 4 years after the contract is done....what good is that.
2x6 if he wont commit after that trade him to the highest bidder.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
At this point in time 8 x 8 is a good contract offer. If he wants less term then he should expect less money.

That said I don't feel comfortable with theses leaked offers coming out during negotiations. Reminds me of when Karlsson and Stone were given "fair offers" that resulted in a trade not long after.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
So vague.

And I am on the Brady bandwagon. It just doesn't mean I want to support a blatant overpay that could hamper our teams ability to win.

Brady's style is valuable but our forwards are generally physical. And you have guy like Boucher and Kleven coming up who could become an even bigger physical threats than Brady.

It is wrong to believe that for some reason Brady is the one holding things together with his intagibles and his physical play. The team is going to be good even without him, they have the talent, the will, and the defensive depth.

sure bud

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
They can be on ice for sure just don’t think when you mush it all together that I see a $8M player at this point.

That's fair. At this point it's above his value but when you are talking about a young player signing a long term deal there many things you have to factor. You have to project what you think the player will be but you also have to consider where the Salary Cap will be as well and as Frank Seravalli pointed out in his appearance on the Wally and Methot podcast the cap is expected to rise quite a bit 5 years from now. You are also taking 4 years of UFA eligibility which come at a great cost. While for the next few seasons Tkachuk may not bring the value of a 8m AAV player, though that could be debated imo. 4 or 5 years from now when the team (hopefully) is spending closer to the cap, a deal like that could be very team friendly. There's certainly some risk associated with a long term contract for a player who is about to turn 22 but I do feel like it is a safe bet. 8m may seem like alot for a 21 year old Brady with a salary cap of 81.5 m but do you think it will be alot for a 26 year old Brady with salary cap of 86.5m.

Oct 10, 2010
That's fair. At this point it's above his value but when you are talking about a young player signing a long term deal there many things you have to factor. You have to project what you think the player will be but you also have to consider where the Salary Cap will be as well and as Frank Seravalli pointed out in his appearance on the Wally and Methot podcast the cap is expected to rise quite a bit 5 years from now. You are also taking 4 years of UFA eligibility which come at a great cost. While for the next few seasons Tkachuk may not bring the value of a 8m AAV player, though that could be debated imo. 4 or 5 years from now when the team (hopefully) is spending closer to the cap, a deal like that could be very team friendly. There's certainly some risk associated with a long term contract for a player who is about to turn 22 but I do feel like it is a safe bet. 8m may seem like alot for a 21 year old Brady with a salary cap of 81.5 m but do you think it will be alot for a 26 year old Brady with salary cap of 86.5m.
That makes sense thanks for the breakdown!

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad