Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
I could see SJ offering him more but not max. Question is, would Matty take the money to go to SJ?
Auston strikes me as a celebrity type. He won’t get near the celebrity status he gets here and that has a lot of value attached to it for one of the best players in the league. He’d probably lose more money going to SJ for league max than staying here for 13.25 with endorsements, fame, and future opportunities.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Domi signing: excellent
Bertuzzi signing: excellent
Benoit signing: excellent
Reaves signing: pretty good
Klingberg: incomplete/bad we didn't use his cap space
Jones: solid depth, played big role when needed
Lagesson: ditto
Gregor: okay
Dewar: good PK add, 4th liner
Boosh: okay, play has fallen off of late
Edmundson: good depth, playoff warrior
Contracts: Matthews okay, Nylander meh, Benoit great, McMann great, also deserves credit for a lot of one year deals last off season.
Honourable mention: Sammy, he took the reigns with him on the "reset" and it worked out great

Seems a pretty solid record so far. Our identity is different, for the better imo. Snot>soft.
What I like about Brad's moves is that he built a team of guys in September that can grow together over the season vs trying to add a few tough guys at the TDL. I think it makes a difference culture wise and also it took the guys more than half a season to mesh together in their roles. If he got these very same players at the TDL instead of Sept. we would be screaming that he was a moron for trading for them in the first place. It looks like Brad is building in the right direction and knows what he is doing...that's refreshing.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm going to reserve judgement.

He inherited a .667 team and it is now a .647 team.

Let's see if something happens in the playoffs.

We certainly didn't take much of a step back. The team clearly stands up for each other right now.

We formed a team where last season we had individuals.

The only thing PO will teach us is if we have fools gold or the real deal. My guess is we lean more towards the real deal at this point. Knock on wood

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

As should be the case. Regular season success doesn't mean much anymore, this is a perennial 100 pt team, but how they play and more importantly play for each other is what matters.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Hopefully he's working on a long-term deal for Domi. He just fits so well here. Longer term to keep the AAV down.
Building three separate lines around Matthews, Marner, Nylander is the optimal path forward. Each line reinforcing the star forward.

(LW) - Matthews - (RW)
(LW) - (C) - Marner
(LW) - (C) - Nylander

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
I like the direction the team is heading but ultimately the playoffs and what he does with the team this offseason will tell the bigger store. JT and Mitch need contracts durning/after the season and we have 1 goaltender and 4 D with contracts next season.

Reactions: Menzinger

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So far He's proving me right, there are still some changes I'd like to see even beyond goaltending, like Kampf for example, I'm not sure Kampf is needed with Dewar here now, I also wonder about the futures of Jarnkrok and Robertson, especially Robertson because he scores whenever he's in the lineup but he's not consistently in the lineup.

But overall I'm extremely happy with Treliving so far.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
There certainly have been notable positives about his moves and how the team is compared to previous season.

But that being said there are still similar questions about this group’s ability to go on a run that we have seen in years past as well.

And that is why it is going to work this year ;)

I mean one can hope and dream right :laugh:

:crossfing

LETS GO!

:yo:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
View attachment 849752
View attachment 849753

I think we can say he didn't mess it up.

His signings haven't been bad, but you can't look at Bertuzzi and Domi and say they are homeruns because they can produce with Matthews. Who can't produce with Matthews?

The "let them adjust" is kind of lame. Did they really adjust or is it just normal Matthews affect? Not only that, but if they get 35 games to adjust, perhaps holding GM's to trade deadline days players' impact is hypocritical. They get what 6 weeks to adjust? Can't have it both ways.

Bunting ($4.5mm) has 49 points, Bertuzzi ($5.5mm) has 42 points, Domi ( $3mm) 45 points. So it isn't like Bertuzzi and Domi added, they replaced.

It really is to the point where true evaluation will take place, in the playoffs.

We all, or at least all Leafs' fans, should hope we see a dramatic difference in the playoffs.

If the results are the same as last year, with another whimper out to the golf course, there will be nothing to celebrate. No chest thumping, maybe another round of handshake respect ...

- Nick Ritchie
- Alex Kerfoot
- Jumbo Joe
- Alex Galchenyuk
- Jimmy Vesey
- Ondrej Kase

:sarcasm:

:laugh:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Think I'm more confident in this years roster going into the playoffs than lasts years roster even though you can argue it looks worse on paper and we will likely finish with less points in the regular season.

We actually finally have some bite and push back, and its not just coming from a single 4th line enforcer.

Well the improvement/health of Matthews and Nylander alone should make us a better team, as long as the team defense and goaltending don't completely shit the bed. The fact that Bertuzzi ended up figuring out how to score and we have an alternate top line now to spread out our offense has me feeling a little more hopeful than I thought I'd be.

Reactions: uncleben

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
There certainly have been notable positives about his moves and how the team is compared to previous season.

But that being said there are still similar questions about this group’s ability to go on a run that we have seen in years past as well.
I know how you feel about the teams Playoff chances...but I feel like this years team is a TEAM and not a group like before. I am probably totally wrong...but I have a feeling they won't wilt like they have before. Too many guys are there to drag the core into the fight whether they want to or not.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Absolutely, any observations are predicated on an understanding the story is incomplete. We are constantly reassessing, just like people losing their minds about November hockey for a team obviously trying to find their identity.

I will say this, I like this team more than past iterations, we have more character and flavour, they stick up for each other and that makes it easier for me to get behind them. How that translates is an unknown, but lots of fun stories this year, plenty of intrigue.
Once the talent got spread around it changed everything for me. They became a team. The last couple months have been the most Ive enjoyed this version of the leafs in a while. Sticking up for each other, everyone involved. Huge improvement imo.
I dont know if they got what it takes or not yet but I feel more confident now than I did last year.

Keefe never went this far with spreading out the talent while Dubas was here so is that Tre? The leafs are sticking up for each other feel much tougher to push around than when Dubas was here..is that Tre? Personally I think it is. He told us what he likes in a dman and thats what our D is starting to look like, which I approve of. A couple of higher quality versions of what we have would be nice but still, its a different look than we have had before.

Is there still work to be done...hell yes but the man hasnt even been here a year yet. So far, I like what Im seeing more that what I was seeing before he showed up.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

He's done better that I had predicted, but jury is still way out.

This first year is a bit of a free pass, but the bigger challenge is the next offseason, where I'm wary his Calgary tendencies will creep back in and some vets may end up with some ugly contracts.

Best case scenario is the team goes on a deep run and he maneuvers things to keep as many pieces that did well as possible

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Correct me if I'm wrong, but leafs before O'Reilly acquisition had a 60% win percentage. Dubas once again burned through the teams assets to improve the team. Treliving smartly didn't burn through the little the Leafs have left.

I think Tre's team has proven to be better than last years Dubas team. Though, there are many variables that could be examined.

Reactions: arso40

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It boggles my mind so many fans are willing to give this guy a pass already.

Their record is the worst it's been under Keefe. They were 21-21 at the halfway point. It's not like Treliving even did anything.

He churned over the bottom of the roster and ignored goaltending.

The more I think about it the more I'm glad that's all he did. That's because Treliving would have to go up a few IQ points to be classified as dumb. This man couldn't negotiate his way INTO a hostage situation.

Getting bent over by Matthews and Nylander.

Mediocre offseason signings. Followed by wasting a bucket load of assets at TDL on players who won't make a difference. Yet, for some reason, there are actually people who think Treliving is doing a great job.

Might as well change the name to the Pyongyang Leafs with the amount of faith in leadership some fans have.
He signed our two best players to (admittedly somewhat excessively large) contract extensions, and made easily our best free agent signing in at least a decade. While coming in late and with few assets.

I don't think giving him a year before heating tar and plucking chickens is unfair - most of us gave his predecessor several years before getting too critical, and there are a few who still love him.

The team is on a pace for 6 fewer points. A part of that is due to the goaltending, and I think both Samsonov and Murray were acquired by the previous GM. In the second half of the season we are playing at a 110 point pace, which is actually better than last year.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Max Domi has 36 5-on-5 assists. Only players with more are McDavid, Kucherov, MacKinnon, and Draisaitl.

Domi also has SIX (6) fighting majors including the one tonight when he pummeled that no-talent hack from NJ who bumped into Matthews.

What a tremendous FA signing this was by Treliving - - Domi is EXACTLY the kind of teammate Matthews/Marner/Nylander need. Tough, unselfish playmaker, fantastic teammate, great with the Toronto media and has no problem dropping the gloves.

This is the type of player Kyle Dubas refused to sign - - reference Dubas declining to sign Corey Perry for minimum salary. It’s amazing to finally have a competent GM like Treliving.

IMG_1362.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bomber0104

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Max Domi has 36 5-on-5 assists. Only players with more are McDavid, Kucherov, MacKinnon, and Draisaitl.

Domi also has SIX (6) fighting majors including the one tonight when he pummeled that no-talent hack from NJ who bumped into Matthews.

What a tremendous FA signing this was by Treliving - - Domi is EXACTLY the kind of teammate Matthews/Marner/Nylander need. Tough, unselfish playmaker, fantastic teammate, great with the Toronto media and has no problem dropping the gloves.

This is the type of player Kyle Dumbass refused to sign - - reference Dumbass declining to sign Corey Perry for minimum salary. It’s amazing to finally have a competent GM like Treliving.

View attachment 850323
Not to mention I feel like Domi would get on really well with Matthews/Marner/Willy outside of the game. Get this man re-signed. But yeah, I agree it seems insane that Dubas didn't want to try and sign a guy like Domi and Perry... Like why... Our roster had none of these type of dudes.

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
Offseason to-do list (in no particular order):

1. Resign Domi. He's a perfect fit on this team. He brings everything the core lacks but most importantly, he also brings the skill to play with them. His age fits our stars (1995 birthday; Rielly '94, Nylander '96, M&M '97). His ties to the city. Let's get it done. Question is what kind of term do we need to offer to convince him to keep the cap hit lower? 5x3.5? 4x4?

2. Finally, finally, get a legit RHD to play with Rielly. This should be our biggest FA target, since we won't be getting one in trade. I doesn't have to be an all-star, but it needs to be a legit top 4 whose game meshes with Mo's. Roy? Pesce? We don't have a ton of cash, but we will have some contracts coming off the books Brodie, Bertuzzi, etc.

3. We need a young centre who can play in the top nine badly. Tavares is fading and is probably better suited for the third line moving forward, if we keep him at all. We do have some young talented wingers we can use to get it done. I would prefer to keep Knies, and dangle Robertson but if Knies can get us a legit C and Nicky Bobby can't, it's something we have to look at, especially with Cowan coming fast. Who that centre is, I don't know. Maybe someone like a Hayton who might just need a change of scenery. Someone young with upside.

4. Figure out the goalie situation. Woll is obviously half of the equation, but who else? Do we trust Samsonov enough to bring him back, or do we look elsewhere?

After that, we can fill out around the fringes as necessary with (hopefully) a couple of smart bargain bin Benoit type signings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad