Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm genuinely saddened over the thought we most likely can't keep both Domi and Bertuzzi, but thank you for the opportunity to have both in the lineup for this cup run. Good job.
They’ll find a way.

Reactions: CincoHolio

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
So far the plan isn’t working: Reavo caused the first goal, Domi caused the 4th.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
I love how tough our team is.

I cant believe we actually thought we could win in the past with Knies-Matthews-Marner as our top line. Soft as butter. No wonder every team walked to the finals after beating us.

By game 5 Boston will be missing half their defence and Marchand will have stone hands.

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
IMG_8122.jpeg

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Watching this team is a breath of fresh air, at least we have a punchers chance now.

Once there is time to correct the 1RD, goalie, and coach situation we will be an honest cup threat. Two years out probably.
The best thing is we have a star who is playing as a star needs to in the playoffs. Tres adds have helped this process. A little team toughness goes along way.

Reactions: The Masters

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I love how tough our team is.

I cant believe we actually thought we could win in the past with Knies-Matthews-Marner as our top line. Soft as butter. No wonder every team walked to the finals after beating us.

By game 5 Boston will be missing half their defence and Marchand will have stone hands.
The team is like when Lou was the GM :thumbu:

Reactions: The Masters

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
At the very least we're evenly matched in toughness. Now its down to skill & minimizing errors.

I'm genuinely saddened over the thought we most likely can't keep both Domi and Bertuzzi,
Tre can and he will.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Coming from Marchand that says something. He was being honest for once. He was really part of perhaps the most perfect line in this generation, so perfect they called it the Perfection Line.

I knew from the offseason pick ups that Brad gets it. He was fortunate that unlike Dubas, he didn't need to trade for Bert or Domi, they were available and they both bets on themselves. Leafs wanted Bert for longer but couldnt fit him in. Domi has really become a defensive minded forward which when coupled with his net drive and snarl makes him a bona fide force.

It isn't the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog. This is so true in sports. Domi and Bert are both legitimate pests with a bit of a honey badger mentality.

I had wanted Bert for a few years just as I wanted Sam Bennett, a player apparently Dubas was interested in as well. Dubas wasn't a bad GM when it came to trades, Brad seems to have an unapologetic view of the players he seeks.

I dare anyone to watch the 2002 Leafs and not be amazed at their sacrifice levels. If Sundin had been surrounded with a Matthews in his prime in a 1-2 punch up the middle, he might have won a Cup. The supporting cast was strong and built for the playoffs, but just lacking the talent and game breakers. Their Will was in spades though.

When you have guys like Matthews who can break open a game, hell, a series on his own when surrounded by the right cast you go and find him that cast. Last game he looked like Cam Neely out there.

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
Trevling's only mistake so far has been Klingberg... should have just resigned Erik Gustafsson if seeking offense from D (guy they traded Sandin for) who just had a low key good season with the Rangers plus it would have been much better asset management 👍

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Coming from Marchand that says something. He was being honest for once. He was really part of perhaps the most perfect line in this generation, so perfect they called it the Perfection Line.

I knew from the offseason pick ups that Brad gets it. He was fortunate that unlike Dubas, he didn't need to trade for Bert or Domi, they were available and they both bets on themselves. Leafs wanted Bert for longer but couldnt fit him in. Domi has really become a defensive minded forward which when coupled with his net drive and snarl makes him a bona fide force.

It isn't the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog. This is so true in sports. Domi and Bert are both legitimate pests with a bit of a honey badger mentality.

I had wanted Bert for a few years just as I wanted Sam Bennett, a player apparently Dubas was interested in as well. Dubas wasn't a bad GM when it came to trades, Brad seems to have an unapologetic view of the players he seeks.

I dare anyone to watch the 2002 Leafs and not be amazed at their sacrifice levels. If Sundin had been surrounded with a Matthews in his prime in a 1-2 punch up the middle, he might have won a Cup. The supporting cast was strong and built for the playoffs, but just lacking the talent and game breakers. Their Will was in spades though.

When you have guys like Matthews who can break open a game, hell, a series on his own when surrounded by the right cast you go and find him that cast. Last game he looked like Cam Neely out there.
The Bruins have never respected us, his words were fascinating. Word around the league was the Leafs were soft and easy to play against, I said during the year that sentiment was changing and it isn't irrelevant. Respect is key, the big bad Bruins are finding out this really is a "built different" iteration. Work to do, but at least we have some character and fight.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Both games showed the team is playing different.
They are more physical and playing the body more than just trying to skill their way through.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Can you imagine what we could've been starting way back in 2018? Imagine if we concentrated on building a proper team, that was suited for playoff hockey all the way back since the day after Washington eliminated us.

All those draft picks used as capital (multiple draft selections as well), cap space, free agent signings, alignment from president down to coach and scouts. The valuing of what Kadri, Hyman and Marchment among others brought to the organization. We could've been verging on a dynasty.

We took such a destructive wrong turn, it's hard to fathom. What Brad has managed to achieve with a pocket full of change is quite impressive to be honest.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Can you imagine what we could've been starting way back in 2018? Imagine if we concentrated on building a proper team, that was suited for playoff hockey all the way back since the day after Washington eliminated us.

All those draft picks used as capital (multiple draft selections as well), cap space, free agent signings, alignment from president down to coach and scouts. The valuing of what Kadri, Hyman and Marchment among others brought to the organization. We could've been verging on a dynasty.

We took such a destructive wrong turn, it's hard to fathom. What Brad has managed to achieve with a pocket full of change is quite impressive to be honest.
All what you just posted is why some of us are so frustrated. There was a golden opportunity to build an awesome team but it was derailed by an inexperienced GM who thought he was smarted then the rest of the hockey world and a GM that was content to let him squander so much

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018

this makes too much sense and hurts all at the same time

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
All what you just posted is why some of us are so frustrated. There was a golden opportunity to build an awesome team but it was derailed by an inexperienced GM who thought he was smarted then the rest of the hockey world and a GM that was content to let him squander so much

this makes too much sense and hurts all at the same time
Not saying I disagree with you two bc I do. But after the Caps series, Lou was still in charge.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Exactly this. Wasted five prime years because of it.
Exactly. And I don't see us having the time or capital to make it fully work. Brad has the right idea, just not the currency to fully implement it.

Our D is Rielly, Lub, McCabe, Liljegren, Benoit and Edmundson. The type of guy is correct. The quality isn't. We are not good enough to do serious damage imo, but it's the exact mold of team that is.

Our only real option is to try and build through Free Agency, which is probably the worst of the 3 options (trade and draft).

I don't think I can ever get over the golden opportunity this organization had, and the decisions that were made along the way.

Such is life as a Leafs fan, I suppose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad