Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Think I'm more confident in this years roster going into the playoffs than lasts years roster even though you can argue it looks worse on paper and we will likely finish with less points in the regular season.

We actually finally have some bite and push back, and its not just coming from a single 4th line enforcer.
I think the fact that we haven't been as good in the regular season is made up for by the fact that there is no team in the East that's scary the way for example Boston was last season or the way TB was when they were dominant. The East is wide open so while we maybe the 5th ranked team in the East, we're not that far behind whoever you'd have at #1. And yes, you're right that we seem to be pushing back for a change and it's about time. I'm still not thrilled that we still haven't sent a message to Marchand who took out Liljegren and our response was to do nothing, that should have been taken care of by now but still, we don't seem to be as meek as we have been and that's extremely important.

I'm looking for reasons to be optimistic, it's that time of year. ;)

Reactions: Peasy

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
I remember Hunter raving about Dermott post draft. Not sure I believe that Aho story. They liked Dermott

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Not sure how much success the team will have these playoffs, if any, but I give credit for Treliving bringing in Domi and Bertuzzi and somewhat changing the dynamic of the team. The team is no longer being pushed over at will, and it's good to see both of them give the team some jam. Heck, even Reaves lately has played his role quite well.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I distinctly remember rumours about us liking Aho before the draft, I think we were also linked to targeting one of Rantanen/Provorov in that trade-down scenario with Columbus (4 for 8, 34, and 38). Aho is the prototypical undersized intelligent high work rate waterbug Dubas overfocused. I would assume if we do the Columbus trade they don’t get cute with the Konecny pick. Could have been a draft on par with McDonagh Pacioretty Subban in 2007 for MTL.

All I know is that the only saving grace for the Leafs was that Boston whiffed even larger:

Screenshot_20240403-104128_(1).png

Losers.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I remember Hunter raving about Dermott post draft. Not sure I believe that Aho story. They liked Dermott

The way they worked the draft I was really hoping they were unearthing our own Keith, Subban, Letang. He was 1D on those McDavid Erie Otters teams so maybe, maybe they had something special. Oops. It's like Demott stayed an 18 year old OHL defenseman for 8-9 years.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don’t know if he’s doing a good or bad job. I don’t know what will happen in the playoffs but I have to say that he definitely succeeded in creating a team.

Under Dubas, for whatever reason the attention to the core four players was much higher than the rest. Now it feels like they play as a team.

It was nice to see them react to the late hit on Kampf the same way they would react if a better player was hit.

As the great Pierre Dorion would say: We are a team.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Not sure how it’ll turn out, but at no point in the past 5 yrs did the Leafs have a chance at winning a few rounds, whereas this year they do. That’s progress.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I don’t know if he’s doing a good or bad job. I don’t know what will happen in the playoffs but I have to say that he definitely succeeded in creating a team.

Under Dubas, for whatever reason the attention to the core four players was much higher than the rest. Now it feels like they play as a team.

It was nice to see them react to the late hit on Kampf the same way they would react if a better player was hit.

As the great Pierre Dorion would say: We are a team.
Yep. This is where Brad, whether by design or circumstance chose players of a certain "type". A type which I felt for years was needed.

Players who have a presence to draw the team together. Dubas contribution to this was getting players such as Giordano, Schenn and McCabe. The Boosh by style the first time around as he is a heavy competitor.

Brad did his part by bringing in Reaves and Bertuzzi both whom I was quite happy to see him pick up. He saw in Domi what I didn't see and he has been better than I expected and he brings some compete and "won't back down" attitude. Not in the manner his dad did obviously, but with some shades of Tie. Shades of Tie with more skill (Tie was an underrated offensive player btw).

Getting Benoit, Edmunson and Boosh II showed that Brad understands what this team needs

You add all of these new players into the mix and this is now Brads team. Win or lose.

Come playoffs, the opposing team has to look across at the Leafs team they are facing and have doubts, even some hesitance going into the series. There were a couple of incarnations of this team where other teams didn't want to face the Leafs, but never for reasons of trepidation.

Now forwards ask "do I want to get to the net or dump in the puck and face McCabe, Benoit, Edmunson or the Boosh?" The defense asks, "am I looking forward to a Bertuzzi or Reaves driving my net? Even Domi, McMann and Knies drive. I see JT and Matthews in tighter than I've seen in the past.

I didn't think this years team could be as competent a playoff threat as last years team. I'm seeing far more cohesion in this team though, underlying story lines and depth on the backend in particular which will pay dividends.

It's difficult for me to have faith in this core though, not after this many years. I am nothing if not open minded however.

Reactions: weems and Pi

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Yep. This is where Brad, whether by design or circumstance chose players of a certain "type". A type which I felt for years was needed.

Players who have a presence to draw the team together. Dubas contribution to this was getting players such as Giordano, Schenn and McCabe. The Boosh by style the first time around as he is a heavy competitor.

Brad did his part by bringing in Reaves and Bertuzzi both whom I was quite happy to see him pick up. He saw in Domi what I didn't see and he has been better than I expected and he brings some compete and "won't back down" attitude. Not in the manner his dad did obviously, but with some shades of Tie. Shades of Tie with more skill (Tie was an underrated offensive player btw).

Getting Benoit, Edmunson and Boosh II showed that Brad understands what this team needs

You add all of these new players into the mix and this is now Brads team. Win or lose.

Come playoffs, the opposing team has to look across at the Leafs team they are facing and have doubts, even some hesitance going into the series. There were a couple of incarnations of this team where other teams didn't want to face the Leafs, but never for reasons of trepidation.

Now forwards ask "do I want to get to the net or dump in the puck and face McCabe, Benoit, Edmunson or the Boosh?" The defense asks, "am I looking forward to a Bertuzzi or Reaves driving my net? Even Domi, McMann and Knies drive. I see JT and Matthews in tighter than I've seen in the past.

I didn't think this years team could be as competent a playoff threat as last years team. I'm seeing far more cohesion in this team though, underlying story lines and depth on the backend in particular which will pay dividends.

It's difficult for me to have faith in this core though, not after this many years. I am nothing if not open minded however.
I think Brad wants to fix the defense. The current players he had traded for are more bandaid for now. I see Brad win or lose next season working on improving the defense.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I have been very impressed with how he has gone about his job under difficult circumstances. A portion of the fanbase were wanting him to fail, and I think that he would have known about that. But he has gone about his work admirably. I'm sure he has a good idea about what next steps need to take place. This was a good hire by Shanny.

Reactions: Duffman955

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I'll be reasonably happy with more improvements this off season, but I'll wait until next season when JT's contract is up to label it 'Brad's team'.
Well it's not anyone's team out right. Even Burke will get some credit if we win the cup for his bias towards Rielly.

The only GM who will receive close to zero credit is Lou.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The big question is, what grade does Tre get? The summer of Brad not looking so bad today.
A 101 point season and counting for Tre in his first season as Leafs GM, with a roster full of players he brought in with bite and push back ability Bertuzzi, Domi, Reaves, Benoit, Lyubushkin, Edmundson etc that are going to make Leafs playoff opponents life a lot more miserable.

What we're seeing is a nice transition to a real Hockey Team and away from a Figure Skating team.

Matthew Tkachuk is already losing sleep and soon even possibly some teeth . :wg:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
A 101 point season and counting for Tre in his first season as Leafs GM, with a roster full of players he brought in with bite and push back ability Bertuzzi, Domi, Reaves, Benoit, Lyubushkin, Edmundson etc that are going to make Leafs playoff opponents life a lot more miserable.

What we're seeing is a nice transition to a real Hockey Team and away from a Figure Skating team.

Matthew Tkachuk is already losing sleep and soon even possibly some teeth . :wg:
Looks like the Ice Capades has moved to Pittsburgh.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
My understanding was that because Dubas sided with Hunter on Marner over Hanifin he was given the second of the first round picks that year to draft someone.

Hunter was the head of scouting and used the first one on Marner. The second was assigned to Dubas who traded down from the Konecny pick to draft three duds in Dermott, Bracco, and Dzierkals. Aho wasn't high on many people's list because he was relatively unheard of until the WJC that year where he was a standout but otherwise never showed any real promise previously.

This is the first I've ever heard anything about the Leafs having any interest in him.

The 2015 draft is gonna go down as one of the best ever. Other than Marner the Leafs whiffed pretty large. Hunter and Dubas both share the blame for that.

Other than the obvious "can't miss" top picks neither one of them could draft worth a damn.
Interesting, I never heard this before regarding Dubas getting the second pick. Seems like a weird management process, considering Hunters title included being head of the draft. I thought I heard some rumblings about Aho and Leafs but that may have been just people on this board wanting him back then.

Robertson and Knies were pretty good 2nds. I'll give Dubas that. I also think Amirov was an excellent choice. He looked like a future star in his highlights. Reminded me of Nylander but with more willingness to battle, more grit.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Excellent turnaround after a shaky start
-offseason moves got their shit together
-the glaring deficiencies were addressed at the deadline

Met expectations for the regular season, now let's see that playoff run!

Aug 3, 2021
Excellent turnaround after a shaky start
-offseason moves got their shit together
-the glaring deficiencies were addressed at the deadline

Met expectations for the regular season, now let's see that playoff run!

His moves have actually been underrated and even if things go south, he has the guts to do what Dubas wouldn't have.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I was referring to if he ever had to move one of the big boys, which will take guts. Definitely doesn't appear to be needed at the moment.

The Tavares contract is going to expire, requiring no further action. Matthews and Nylander are locked in and Marner probably will be as well. If not, then it's $22 million in the superstar fund. Not a bad place to be.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Domi signing: excellent
Bertuzzi signing: excellent
Benoit signing: excellent
Reaves signing: pretty good
Klingberg: incomplete/bad we didn't use his cap space
Jones: solid depth, played big role when needed
Lagesson: ditto
Gregor: okay
Dewar: good PK add, 4th liner
Boosh: okay, play has fallen off of late
Edmundson: good depth, playoff warrior
Contracts: Matthews okay, Nylander meh, Benoit great, McMann great, also deserves credit for a lot of one year deals last off season.
Honourable mention: Sammy, he took the reigns with him on the "reset" and it worked out great

Seems a pretty solid record so far. Our identity is different, for the better imo. Snot>soft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad