Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
I'm just pleased that our first line has established a straightforward system: focus on getting pucks to the net and winning board battles without overthinking. It's a refreshing change from the past four years, where we relied too much on impromptu plays and attempting to outmaneuver with skill alone.

Reactions: arso40

Frostitute

Feb 9, 2022
Northern Ontario
Regardless of whether Foligno was 100% healthy or not, giving away a 1st and two 4th round picks for a 3rd line hack like Foligno and a no-talent scrub defenseman like Stef Noesen was yet another horrifically brutal trade by Kyle Dumbass.

Almost as embarrassing as giving away a 3rd round pick for Dave The Save Rittich.

Dubas is easily the worst GM in the history of hockey.
Do you....watch hockey?

Frostitute

Feb 9, 2022
Northern Ontario
Dubas biggest problem was he built a team that was way too easy to defend in the playoffs and had no pushback. He put all his eggs in four baskets and didn’t augment those players with the support cast they needed. He would try to velcro toughness to his soft core every deadline but they never built enough team chemistry to jell together and then he let those players walk away for nothing.

Definitely not better than Quinn or Fletcher who each built teams that went to the Conference finals twice. Better than JFJ and Burke, I’ll give you that.
I am NOT a Dubas guy (was at one point but he ruined that after a while). That being said, 4 baskets is a lot, if you understand the saying properly lol.

We've had ownership that only cares about profits hiring management that will appease those in front office for a loong time. Think back to Quinn and Burns at LEAST.

As long as this teams puts dollar signs ahead of what hangs in the rafters this will continue to be an issue. Honestly, if Babcock wasn't a complete @$$hole, I'd want him back.

We need a coach like Torts to get these guys motivated IMO. Tre has been okay (so far) so I guess we'll see on that end. Shanny I respected the hell out of as a player but lets be honest, he's no Stevey Y watching from above.

I love this team. And likely no matter what I always will. If I could, I'd have jumped shit a LONG time ago but apparently I'm just not built that way. So I hope and pray we figure this out or at least get lucky along the way.

Cuz I'll bleed blue for life.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Domi signing: excellent
Bertuzzi signing: excellent
Benoit signing: excellent
Reaves signing: pretty good
Klingberg: incomplete/bad we didn't use his cap space
Jones: solid depth, played big role when needed
Lagesson: ditto
Gregor: okay
Dewar: good PK add, 4th liner
Boosh: okay, play has fallen off of late
Edmundson: good depth, playoff warrior
Contracts: Matthews okay, Nylander meh, Benoit great, McMann great, also deserves credit for a lot of one year deals last off season.
Honourable mention: Sammy, he took the reigns with him on the "reset" and it worked out great

Seems a pretty solid record so far. Our identity is different, for the better imo. Snot>soft.
Basically perfect assessment IMO.

I'd only upgrade Reavo to excellent. Really think he has been the tip of the spear moving this team from soft to snot, creating an easier environment for everyone to transition in record time.

That's the most important thing that has happened this year.

Reactions: arso40

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Well it's not anyone's team out right. Even Burke will get some credit if we win the cup for his bias towards Rielly.

The only GM who will receive close to zero credit is Lou.
Not if Woll leads the leafs to the cup. That was a Lou draft pick.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
It boggles my mind so many fans are willing to give this guy a pass already.

Their record is the worst it's been under Keefe. They were 21-21 at the halfway point. It's not like Treliving even did anything.

He churned over the bottom of the roster and ignored goaltending.

The more I think about it the more I'm glad that's all he did. That's because Treliving would have to go up a few IQ points to be classified as dumb. This man couldn't negotiate his way INTO a hostage situation.

Getting bent over by Matthews and Nylander.

Mediocre offseason signings. Followed by wasting a bucket load of assets at TDL on players who won't make a difference. Yet, for some reason, there are actually people who think Treliving is doing a great job.

Might as well change the name to the Pyongyang Leafs with the amount of faith in leadership some fans have.

• Haha
Reactions: Frostitute

Frostitute

Feb 9, 2022
Northern Ontario
It boggles my mind so many fans are willing to give this guy a pass already.

Their record is the worst it's been under Keefe. They were 21-21 at the halfway point. It's not like Treliving even did anything.

He churned over the bottom of the roster and ignored goaltending.

The more I think about it the more I'm glad that's all he did. That's because Treliving would have to go up a few IQ points to be classified as dumb. This man couldn't negotiate his way INTO a hostage situation.

Getting bent over by Matthews and Nylander.

Mediocre offseason signings. Followed by wasting a bucket load of assets at TDL on players who won't make a difference. Yet, for some reason, there are actually people who think Treliving is doing a great job.

Might as well change the name to the Pyongyang Leafs with the amount of faith in leadership some fans have.
I honestly don't know where to start with this. It isnt worth my time looking up all the numbers to disprove it all. Plz dude, she/her, he/him, whatever you are out there in the real world, please just give your head a shake. We're all Leafs fans so I got love for you too, but wow. Just...wow.

Patience is a virtue. Give the man a chance is all I'll say. Maybe let the man finish 1 year THEN grade him..

Frostitute

Feb 9, 2022
Northern Ontario
Strikes me as hypocritical it's ok for everyone to sing the man's praises but critics have to wait until the year is over to grade him.
I'm not saying he is our lord and savior. I like some moves he's made and dislike others. I just think that before we light our torches or think we're dana white strapping on the champions belt, we should wait and watch.
As much as we'd all like to think we can do it better that is highly unlikely. And as much as we'd all like to grade ones performance, we first have to allow them to perform.
The guy inherited a complete shit-show of players and contracts. Yes he handed out a big one to Nylander, but maybe thats because he intends to let Tavares go and put that money on the back end? Or in net? Or both? Who knows? Lets WAIT and SEE. Patience is a virtue.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I'm not saying he is our lord and savior. I like some moves he's made and dislike others. I just think that before we light our torches or think we're dana white strapping on the champions belt, we should wait and watch.
As much as we'd all like to think we can do it better that is highly unlikely. And as much as we'd all like to grade ones performance, we first have to allow them to perform.
The guy inherited a complete shit-show of players and contracts. Yes he handed out a big one to Nylander, but maybe thats because he intends to let Tavares go and put that money on the back end? Or in net? Or both? Who knows? Lets WAIT and SEE. Patience is a virtue.

If we waited until the season was over before judging him then what would be the point of this whole site?

I get a yearly review. I also get quarterly reviews. I also have one-on-one appointments with my boss every week.

This is the real world where people are judged by their performance in real time.

Frostitute

Feb 9, 2022
Northern Ontario
If we waited until the season was over before judging him then what would be the point of this whole site?

I get a yearly review. I also get quarterly reviews. I also have one-on-one appointments with my boss every week.

This is the real world where people are judged by their performance in real time.
Ohhh I get it now. This is the REAL world. I didn't get it before. In my fake world how we are graded at work by our employers and how we evaluate (as amateurs) sports we enjoy in our free time are different things. Where we only rip only people as jokes when we have free time and/or have a buzz on because we do this to relax and enjoy ourselves.

I get it now! THANK-YOU!

Reactions: Apex Predator

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Ohhh I get it now. This is the REAL world. I didn't get it before. In my fake world how we are graded at work by our employers and how we evaluate (as amateurs) sports we enjoy in our free time are different things. Where we only rip only people as jokes when we have free time and/or have a buzz on because we do this to relax and enjoy ourselves.

I get it now! THANK-YOU!

Since this is only for fun and our opinions don't matter why even bother?

You should take your own advice and wait until the season is over before posting again if that's the case. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Otherwise you just come across as hypocritical.

Especially since your post history has all kinds of comments evaluating the team and the players throughout the course of the season.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
There certainly have been notable positives about his moves and how the team is compared to previous season.

But that being said there are still similar questions about this group’s ability to go on a run that we have seen in years past as well.
Absolutely, any observations are predicated on an understanding the story is incomplete. We are constantly reassessing, just like people losing their minds about November hockey for a team obviously trying to find their identity.

I will say this, I like this team more than past iterations, we have more character and flavour, they stick up for each other and that makes it easier for me to get behind them. How that translates is an unknown, but lots of fun stories this year, plenty of intrigue.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Absolutely, any observations are predicated on an understanding the story is incomplete. We are constantly reassessing, just like people losing their minds about November hockey for a team obviously trying to find their identity.

I will say this, I like this team more than past iterations, we have more character and flavour, they stick up for each other and that makes it easier for me to get behind them. How that translates is an unknown, but lots of fun stories this year, plenty of intrigue.
To be fair, for every poster ready to write of the season an lay it at Tre's feet there was one willing to the same but blame it on inheriting an untenable situation- the latter which was complete bullshit, the table was inarguably set for another competitive year.

As to the second paragraph - agree completely. I'm a happy man. Between adding adding Dewar and McMann finding another gear, adding Boosh+Edmunson he rectified the mistakes/ gaps of his offseason. It would have been nice to it via UFA and save the picks, but you we weren't getting Boosh/Ed level defenders at their retained cap hits- so it works out to a better team going into the playoffs. The pick capital is nothing to sneeze at, but also not game changing, and Quillan goes a long way to mitigating it.

The long and the short is- the expectation was a contender, and every indication is that we are one now. Full speed ahead!

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
To be fair, for every poster ready to write of the season an lay it at Tre's feet there was one willing to the same but blame it on inheriting an untenable situation- the latter which was complete bullshit, the table was inarguably set for another competitive year.

As to the second paragraph - agree completely. I'm a happy man. Between adding adding Dewar and McMann finding another gear, adding Boosh+Edmunson he rectified the mistakes/ gaps of his offseason. It would have been nice to it via UFA and save the picks, but you we weren't getting Boosh/Ed level defenders at their retained cap hits- so it works out to a better team going into the playoffs. The pick capital is nothing to sneeze at, but also not game changing, and Quillan goes a long way to mitigating it.

The long and the short is- the expectation was a contender, and every indication is that we are one now. Full speed ahead!
He was put in an untenable position, are you kidding me? Sure we had the stars, so did Dubas for that matter, but it wasn't exactly a great time to take over on the fly.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
He was put in an untenable position, are you kidding me?
Are we not currently a contender with an inherited core, using the cap space and assets that were available?
How is that the result of an untenable position?

It's largely the same "quality" of regular season team, but with a different philosophy for the supporting pieces that hopefully leads to better playoff results. That's not a miraculous turnaround of near impossible GMing, it was table stakes for whoever took the job.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Are we not currently a contender with an inherited core, using the cap space and assets that were available?
How is that the result of an untenable position?

It's largely the same "quality" of regular season team, but with a different philosophy for the supporting pieces that hopefully leads to better playoff results. That's not a miraculous turnaround of near impossible GMing, it was table stakes for whoever took the job.
It wasn't miraculous, but it was competent.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Anyone complaining about Matthews contract is wild. It’s always been good value for what he brings to the team. Honestly if he went to FA this year he could’ve easily gotten more than 13.25 too. He’s on another planet in terms of the type of game he plays and we’re lucky he stayed at all.

If you think SJ offered JT 13M 6 years ago what do you think they would’ve offered Auston in July? League max I bet and it wouldn’t even look that bad. Thats how much he brings when he’s on the ice.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Anyone complaining about Matthews contract is wild. It’s always been good value for what he brings to the team. Honestly if he went to FA this year he could’ve easily gotten more than 13.25 too. He’s on another planet in terms of the type of game he plays and we’re lucky he stayed at all.

If you think SJ offered JT 13M 6 years ago what do you think they would’ve offered Auston in July? League max I bet.
I could see SJ offering him more but not max. Question is, would Matty take the money to go to SJ?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
There certainly have been notable positives about his moves and how the team is compared to previous season.

But that being said there are still similar questions about this group’s ability to go on a run that we have seen in years past as well.

1712844165680.png

1712844193539.png

I think we can say he didn't mess it up.

His signings haven't been bad, but you can't look at Bertuzzi and Domi and say they are homeruns because they can produce with Matthews. Who can't produce with Matthews?

The "let them adjust" is kind of lame. Did they really adjust or is it just normal Matthews affect? Not only that, but if they get 35 games to adjust, perhaps holding GM's to trade deadline days players' impact is hypocritical. They get what 6 weeks to adjust? Can't have it both ways.

Bunting ($4.5mm) has 49 points, Bertuzzi ($5.5mm) has 42 points, Domi ( $3mm) 45 points. So it isn't like Bertuzzi and Domi added, they replaced.

It really is to the point where true evaluation will take place, in the playoffs.

We all, or at least all Leafs' fans, should hope we see a dramatic difference in the playoffs.

If the results are the same as last year, with another whimper out to the golf course, there will be nothing to celebrate. No chest thumping, maybe another round of handshake respect ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad