Speculation: Boychuck injured,is Hutton a possibility?

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Hutton needs to prove himself more in the AHL to even be CONSIDERED for a callup, especially in the playoffs.

I think Hutton could be a player eventually, and he's been doing well in his short stint, but we need to see more.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
He is signed. One year ELC.

I think a lot of dominoes would have to fall, and in a bad direction, for us to see a player like Hutton anytime this playoff year.
Okay, thanks. I was thinking he may have been on an ATO or something. But I agree with the idea that he's way down the depth chart.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Sebastian Aho should be called up and MDC sent down. If another injury occurs we need a defenseman who can contribute right away. Hickey's going to play because he was signed to a four year deal but Aho like Toews are already better players.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Hutton is the wrong guy to be making a case for promotion. If you were calling for a defenseman to be called up it would have to be Sebastian Aho. Has NHL experience from last season and is ostensibly Bridgeport’s best defenseman this year.
Why ostensibly? Are you saying he just appears to be their best dman or that he actually is?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Sebastian Aho should be called up and MDC sent down. If another injury occurs we need a defenseman who can contribute right away. Hickey's going to play because he was signed to a four year deal but Aho like Toews are already better players.
Hickey’s going to play because he’s a veteran with playoff experience who earned the coach’s trust. The same reason Tom Kuhnhackl gets the nod over Dal Colle. It has nothing to do Hickey’s contract.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Hickey’s going to play because he’s a veteran with playoff experience who earned the coach’s trust. The same reason Tom Kuhnhackl gets the nod over Dal Colle. It has nothing to do Hickey’s contract.
Agree 100% and solid analogy regarding Knucks. No way Hickey's contract will enter into the decision making at this stage of the game.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

Then where does Toews fit in all this logic because he's a rookie with no playoff experience before this season?
I'm not arguing the obvious point but your not understanding mine.
All a player has to do is get an opportunity. Hickey is more than replaceable. He does nothing great. Gets pushed around and for his size isn't even that good a skater or offensive player. He's been a healthy scratch for a reason.
It can't hurt to play Aho to see how well he performs. We already know what Hickey brings.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Makar was a top five pick if I am correct while Hutton was an undrafted free agent. They are not even comparable.

Patrick Stefan and Nail Yakupov were first overall and Martin St Louis and Johnathan Marchessault went undrafted.
Scouts miss the mark all the time. If you can play you can play.
Grant Hutton was the team captain. He lead his team in scoring on defense and has ideal size. Ohio was pretty bad this season. He was the only player with a positive plus/minus rating.
Hickeys a turnover machine at this stage of his career.
I agree Hickey will be given the first shot. Doesn't mean he is the best option.
The coaching staff will soon realize what us fans already know if they don't already.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Patrick Stefan and Nail Yakupov were first overall and Martin St Louis and Johnathan Marchessault went undrafted.
Grant Hutton was the team captain. He lead his team in scoring on defense and has ideal size. Ohio was pretty bad this season. He was the only player with a positive plus/minus rating.
I agree Hickey will be given the first shot. Doesn't mean he is the best option.
The coaching staff will soon realize what us fans already know if they don't already.

Aho would be the first call up anyway. Hutton has never even gotten a NHL practice in.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Aho would be the first call up anyway. Hutton has never even gotten a NHL practice in.
I agree. I was really being tongue in cheek. No way does Hutton get a call up this year nor does he deserve it or is even ready for it. He's as green as they come.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Then where does Toews fit in all this logic because he's a rookie with no playoff experience before this season?
All a player has to do is get an opportunity. Hickey is more than replaceable. He does nothing great. Gets pushed around and for his size isn't even that good a skater or offensive player. He's been a healthy scratch for a reason.
It can't hurt to play Aho to see how well he performs. We already know what Hickey brings.
Toews earned the coach’s trust and a job during the regular season when Thomas Hickey got hurt.

I understand your point but you are asking Barry Trotz to do something that just goes counter to the way he operates. He values veterans, rookies have to earn his trust, and the team would have to be in dire trouble in order for Trotz to bypass a guy like Hickey or Luca Sbisa to have Sebastian Aho play his first NHL game of the season in the playoffs.

I’d rather have Aho up also but I know it’s not going to happen. But Barry Trotz has pushed every right button this year so there’s no point bellyaching about this.

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
thanks for getting my back bud,see my checklist,lol

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Makar was a top five pick if I am correct while Hutton was an undrafted free agent. They are not even comparable.

you know who was both a top 5 pick AND captain of his team???

hickey.jpg

Phil120362

Dec 29, 2018
Lou and Barry went up there to watch him last night,I'm sure there's room in the limo for him for the ride back to LI

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Because Toews is one of our 4 or 5 best Dmen overall.

Doesn't matter what experience HE had before this point in time.

But when we discuss losing one of our top 6, then Hickey is the easy, unadulterated next man on the list. No question about it.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Because Toews is one of our 4 or 5 best Dmen overall.

Doesn't matter what experience HE had before this point in time.

But when we discuss losing one of our top 6, then Hickey is the easy, unadulterated next man on the list. No question about it.
Toews needed to first play to prove that he is one of the best on the team.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Ah, so the team is in the 2nd round of the playoffs and yet there's still the "play the kids" mentality. Gotcha.

It'll never change. Still waiting on Jeff Tambellini after all the jumping up and down and yelling people did on here way back when.

"NOLAN SUCKS, ONLY PLAYS VETS"

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Toews needed to first play to prove that he is one of the best on the team.

I don't know why you're intentionally trying to be difficult.

Toews gained the trust of the coach during the regular season. Aho didn't and has zero NHL playoff games under his belt.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I don't know why you're intentionally trying to be difficult.

Toews gained the trust of the coach during the regular season. Aho didn't and has zero NHL playoff games under his belt.

Thomas Hickey is a really good guy and a great teammate.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Thomas Hickey is a solid 3rd pairing defensemen, I find it hard to argue otherwise. His lack of speed is made up for with tremendous positioning, taking good angles and being responsible away from the puck. Considering the Islanders play a tight, structured system under Trotz, Hickey is the unrivaled way to go.

I realize a good portion of fans hate the "boring" players without a wow factor (ala Bailey) but is it really worth the risk of tossing in an inexperienced dman who hasn't played under Trotz and co. ever? It's the playoffs baby, let's trust the coach who raised the cup over his head last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad