Speculation: Boychuck injured,is Hutton a possibility?

Gleb2006

Aug 11, 2010
Absolutely not unless there are at least 6 more major injuries to D-men.

Up next is (in order, IMO):
Hickey
Sbisa
Seidenberg
Aho (Would rather have him at 2 but Trotz will not let somebody with such little experience play in the playoffs unless dire emergency)
Vande Sompel
Wotherspoon

Probably would also have Burroughs and Rathgeb ahead of them

Reactions: frankieboy

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Knowing the way Lou feels about rushing kids up, especially defensemen, I don’t expect to see Aho or Vande Sompel called up let alone Hutton.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Absolutely not unless there are at least 6 more major injuries to D-men.

Up next is (in order, IMO):
Hickey
Sbisa
Seidenberg
Aho (Would rather have him at 2 but Trotz will not let somebody with such little experience play in the playoffs unless dire emergency)
Vande Sompel
Wotherspoon

Probably would also have Burroughs and Rathgeb ahead of them

There's zero chance Seidenberg gets into a game.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Hickey is clearly the best option. Most people screaming Aho have only seen his below average 20 game sample and nothing else(including me). We don’t need Aho pinching like an idiot and that’s all he did in his brief NHL stint

Reactions: bronxirish

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Hickey is clearly the best option. Most people screaming Aho have only seen his below average 20 game sample and nothing else(including me). We don’t need Aho pinching like an idiot and that’s all he did in his brief NHL stint
Thomas Hickey’s entire career could be summed up as “pinching like an idiot”

Reactions: MJF

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
No. He’s never played an NHL game. Aho is on the depth chart before him I would imagine.

SO I figure after Hickey Sbisa would be next, I wonder if Seidenberg who hasn't played 1 game this season would get in before AHo

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
SO I figure after Hickey Sbisa would be next, I wonder if Seidenberg who hasn't played 1 game this season would get in before AHo

I can’t see Seidenberg playing at all. I think they rewarded him because he practiced all year with the isles. I can’t see how he plays without having any games all year.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Hickey is in without a doubt. Things would have to go off the rails pretty quickly for someone else to get a chance. Hickey has playoff experience, too. I get why people want to upgrade on the dude, but it ain't happening right now.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I'd go Sbisa before Hickey because of the right handed defenseman thing, did Sbisa play in the finals last year?

Losing Boychuk is going to hurt but Isles do seem like a team of destiny... If Carolina takes out Washington and Toronto takes out Boston, wouldn't Isles have best record in the league of surviving teams?

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Hickey has experience only. Aho is much more skilled and has performed well in professional leagues outside the NHL. People once thought Brian Strait was a great option.
Experience doesn't equate to talent. This line of thinking would have kept Toews down in Bridgeport all year. The irony is if Hickey didn't get hurt Toews might still be in the Ahl.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

NittanyIsle

Feb 16, 2013
Unpopular opinion...Hickey had some big moments in the 16 playoffs. He was brutal last time we saw him this year, but the guy did seem to raise his level a bit in the playoffs.

Reactions: dano16

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i think Trotz likes to keep the D pairings whenever he can.

Pelech Pulock - all good
Toews Mayfield - can play 2nd pairing minutes
Leddy Sbisa - i put in Sbisa only because he has a stronger D game than Hickey

i think we could pretty well roll these....

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Sbisa hasn't played in months and was the worst defensemen on the team when he was playing. He played at the same time Hickey did was and was significantly worse. Hickey lost his spot due to injury, not because of bad play. They aren't going to call up an inexperienced smaller defenseman for a playoff game unless they absolutely have to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad