OT: Bowman and Quenneville Step Down as Report is Issued on 2010 Chicago Incident (MOD warning post #3)

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
What’s everyone’s thoughts on Toews? I saw he released a piss poor statement defending bowman.

upsets me cause he’s one of my favorites and I see some defenses saying he was young and all that but for a guy that literally represents Canada as a leader, it’s tough to see
Jonathan Toews is an insincere person who sucked up to management.

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
hey all

why is Elliot Freedman apologizing on air, to do with this crazy few days???

on his 31 thoughts podcast

Other than for not pursing the story harder when it landed a few months ago, like he said in his statement, I took it as an apology for not doing more investigative work overall a la Katie Strand or Rick Westhead. A lot of fans have been asking why no one in the media reported on it when they had to have heard in 2010. I am sure at least some reporters are asking themselves if they should be doing more investigation when they hear these types of rumors or allegations.

Reactions: KotkaZuki

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
Penguins face suit over ex minors coach accused of assault

this situation, along with the situation in chicago, are a pretty big black eye for the NHL.

what do ya'll think?

Me: What married man would sit in front with a taxi driver and allow his young pretty wife to sit in the back seat with another man (Donatelli) who groped her?
I read a different news story about this the other day that I can't find, and it said that the first alleged groping happened immediately before they got in the car when Jarrod was away, so he was unaware of it happening.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
Other than for not pursing the story harder when it landed a few months ago, like he said in his statement, I took it as an apology for not doing more investigative work overall a la Katie Strand or Rick Westhead. A lot of fans have been asking why no one in the media reported on it when they had to have heard in 2010. I am sure at least some reporters are asking themselves if they should be doing more investigation when they hear these types of rumors or allegations.

The reason is simple, sports media is devoid of actual journalists. A huge majority of individuals in this sphere of life are there for their carrer and they understand that in order to further their ambitions, they must play nice with the teams in order to keep or increase their privileged accesses...

This is not what real journalism is about.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The reason is simple, sports media is devoid of actual journalists. A huge majority of individuals in this sphere of life are there for their carrer and they understand that in order to further their ambitions, they must play nice with the teams in order to keep or increase their privileged accesses...

This is not what real journalism is about.
It’s no different than non sport journalism - it’s simply human instinct of self preservation

When Woodward & Bernstein were putting together the investigative report on Watergate no other “journalist” wanted anything to do with it - same situation as Westhead & Strang

Reactions: 26Mats and ngc_5128

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Are you f***ing kindling me. Cheveldayoff was present in a meeting but lacked the authority to do anything?!? You tell me a member of my community has been raped, and then I am cocked and loaded on the predator. He didn’t even raise peep? He didn’t even raise it to the press?!? He thought it was alright to protect his own job over the innocents of a 20 year old?!? f*** Cheveldayoff. I call bullshit. He knew and he deferred to his bosses when there was a rape?!? Looks like you don’t f***en know?!? He should not be in a position of power.

Reactions: Kimota

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
It’s no different than non sport journalism - it’s simply human instinct of self preservation

When Woodward & Bernstein were putting together the investigative report on Watergate no other “journalist” wanted anything to do with it - same situation as Westhead & Strang

I understand that hating the media is all the rage now but there is objectively no comparison between sports media and actual reporting.

Quality journalism exists in droves. Don't mistake editorial content or 24h cable news with journalism...

Reactions: Film Noir

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Take it for what it's worth but tonight at Antichambre Stef Waite said he learn that last year in the office with Bergevin. They learned that at the same time and both were surprised, stunned and angry. They never knew it, Waite said they did a good job (his words, bonne job) as keeping it quiet, like nothing has been spread of that meeting.

Reactions: sandviper

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I understand that hating the media is all the rage now but there is objectively no comparison between sports media and actual reporting.

Quality journalism exists in droves. Don't mistake editorial content or 24h cable news with journalism...
Sorry but Michael Farber, Rick Westhead, Katie Strang et al, maybe sports media but they are as good as any “quality journalism”

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Are you f***ing kindling me. Cheveldayoff was present in a meeting but lacked the authority to do anything?!? You tell me a member of my community has been raped, and then I am cocked and loaded on the predator. He didn’t even raise peep? He didn’t even raise it to the press?!? He thought it was alright to protect his own job over the innocents of a 20 year old?!? f*** Cheveldayoff. I call bullshit. He knew and he deferred to his bosses when there was a rape?!? Looks like you don’t f***en know?!? He should not be in a position of power.

Calm down. I think you should read the report completely, you get a much clearer picture of what happened in that meeting and his involvement. At this meeting, what was discussed was that there was improper behavior from that coach with two player from the black aces. Whether there was rape or consensual was not clear at the time for the group, but it was clear the coach was a POS though, he sent penis pictures I think. Quenneville said he didn't want to deal with this because of the SCF and so the President of hockey op (forgot his name) said he would take care of it himself and investigate the matter. So from the point of view of rest of the group including Cheveldayoff, the matter at that point was kind of settled for the moment, President would do it. But he did absolutely nothing, Aldrich continued to be with the team and the Aces, and only a few weeks after they won the Cup, Aldrich was given the choice to leave the team and resign.

So Quenneville is blamed because he is on record saying the SCF is more important than getting distracting by possible misbehavior, but Cheveldayoff get a pass because he did not really participate in the decision, and something was decided to be done in that meeting. The President was an idiot though. And I guess once Aldrich resigned from the club, it kinda dropped from the radar.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
Sorry but Michael Farber, Rick Westhead, Katie Strang et al, maybe sports media but they are as good as any “quality journalism”

Sorry, I think I may have misunderstood your point.

I wrote that nearly all of sports media is non journalism. You are absolutely right, I didn't know these individuals as I usually don't follow sports stories usually but their work on this has been great.

I am sure there are more.

Still, nearly all of the sports media ecosystem is just entertainment and mouth pieces.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Take it for what it's worth but tonight at Antichambre Stef Waite said he learn that last year in the office with Bergevin. They learned that at the same time and both were surprised, stunned and angry. They never knew it, Waite said they did a good job (his words, bonne job) as keeping it quiet, like nothing has been spread of that meeting.

This was what I speculated earlier (which I edited). If that “inner circle” kept it quiet, it doesn’t surprise me at all that Bergy and Waite didn’t have the details. Sure, maybe they heard rumours or heresay but they weren’t directly informed.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
This is the real issue. The Hawks should have been fined 100 million dollars but we all know that it won't happen, it never does.
Lol…..100m$ a little excessive :eek:

I think 5m$ fine would’ve been nice and 5m$ towards aid groups for victims of sexual abuse and behind closed doors obligate the Hawks to spearhead awareness and a sexual harassment hotline, like let them be community leaders in the fight against this sort of stuff.

Fines are nice but when you become a spokesperson and lead the charge vs a crime that you failed to protect victims in your own house against, well, this is the best response to your shortcomings IMHO

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If the league is sincerely interested in brownie points, they would be well advised to work in tandem with NHLPA and various minor league systems, to setup an independent system for players of abuse to anonymously go to seek help / counsel without fear of retaliation / being outed

Unless all this already exists and I’m simply ill informed

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

I think 5m$ fine would’ve been nice and 5m$ towards aid groups for victims of sexual abuse and behind closed doors obligate the Hawks to spearhead awareness and a sexual harassment hotline, like let them be community leaders in the fight against this sort of stuff.

Fines are nice but when you become a spokesperson and lead the charge vs a crime that you failed to protect victims in your own house against, well, this is the best response to your shortcomings IMHO
If that story was a distraction from winning the Cup, so Bettman should act like if that distraction happened and the Hawks lost in the finals. Who was in the finals at the time? Flyers? Ok, erase the Hawks on the Stanley Cup and give the Cup to the Flyers retroactivly. Now that's a punishment all the nhl teams will notice, more than any amount of money.

That's one of my crackpot idea and I didn't use legal or illegal drug, lol. :D :laugh: :naughty:

BozoTheClown

Jul 10, 2021

The franchise value went from 300 mil in 2010 to over 1 billion today. 100 million is a fair penalty.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
If that story was a distraction from winning the Cup, so Bettman should act like if that distraction happened and the Hawks lost in the finals. Who was in the finals at the time? Flyers? Ok, erase the Hawks on the Stanley Cup and give the Cup to the Flyers retroactivly. Now that's a punishment all the nhl teams will notice, more than any amount of money.

That's one of my crackpot idea and I didn't use legal or illegal drug, lol. :D :laugh: :naughty:

Over the top overreactions like these help absolutely no one and only serve to distract from what actually happened. This has absolutely nothing to do with them winning the cup.

There were plenty of "rumors" about the off ice behaviors of the like of Chelios, Corson, Roy, etc... in the 80's. Should the Habs forfeit their 86 and 93 cups?

And I'm sure there was plenty of weird shit that happened in the 70's with our players... among others... stuff that would absolutely not be acceptable today. Should we give back our 70's cups too?

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Over the top overreactions like these help absolutely no one and only serve to distract from what actually happened. This has absolutely nothing to do with them winning the cup.

There were plenty of "rumors" about the off ice behaviors of the like of Chelios, Corson, Roy, etc... in the 80's. Should the Habs forfeit their 86 and 93 cups?

And I'm sure there was plenty of weird shit that happened in the 70's with our players... among others... stuff that would absolutely not be acceptable today. Should we give back our 70's cups too?
It won't happen. My post was sarcastic. But you have a point.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
This is real black mark on the league. I have a subscription to hockey news. Last issue I had trouble looking at pics in the dressing rooms. Knowing some of stuff that went on in there. As most of these issues have been successfully covered up. It is like this has turned hockey into something else for me. The only reason this was found out because Kyle Beach went against the grain

Last edited:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The franchise value went from 300 mil in 2010 to over 1 billion today. 100 million is a fair penalty.
Cancelling a few people won't send the message that a big fine would but I knew when I typed that they should get a 100 million dollar fine that it would never happen. They can conveniently fire a few people and claim that they had no knowledge of the incident and wash their hands and move on, it always seems to be the way. Look at the residential school tragedy here in Canada, what if anything is being done to the Catholic church? If you truly want justice, there has to be accountability that goes beyond joke fines and a few firings, make them pay.

Reactions: BozoTheClown

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I read news story about this the other day that I can't find, and it said that the first alleged groping happened his immediately before they got in the car when Jarrod was away, so he was unaware of it happening.
Regardless, no married man should permit his wife to sit next to his male boss in the back of a taxi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad