OT: Bowman and Quenneville Step Down as Report is Issued on 2010 Chicago Incident (MOD warning post #3)

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
What’s everyone’s thoughts on Toews? I saw he released a piss poor statement defending bowman.

upsets me cause he’s one of my favorites and I see some defenses saying he was young and all that but for a guy that literally represents Canada as a leader, it’s tough to see

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
More like Q led the charge...

Keep in mind scumbag perpetrator was one of Quenneville’s coaches (direct reports) which is why Q was at the meeting with the execs..

You know from a coach's perspective I could understand the idea of not wanting to jeopardize a good run.

At same time from a human perspective it is absolutely laughable to do nothing.

All this is significantly magnified by that fact. If they began an investigation and it ended after the success of the team and Aldrich was found guilty thats one thing. They didn't want it as a distraction and to top it off they swept it under the rug afterwards too.

It's really baffling.

Reactions: themilosh

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
What’s everyone’s thoughts on Toews? I saw he released a piss poor statement defending bowman.

upsets me cause he’s one of my favorites and I see some defenses saying he was young and all that but for a guy that literally represents Canada as a leader, it’s tough to see
Toews, Kane, Ladd all said pretty much the same vanilla statements not blaming anyone .... hockey culture

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
Not really, business will do whatever is most profitable while maintaining the boundaries of legal obligations.

Very few if any businesses ever go over & above to meet moral obligations.
But they sure tend to go over and above when it comes to virtue signalling these days on any number of social issues...it just happens to be the wrong ones most of the time.

Reactions: OldCraig71

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
As a business owner, I'm not sure how I feel about this. If this situation happened in my company, without my knowledge. (I have close to 100 employees.) I"m not sure if I'd find it fair that I personally (my company) should be punished. As the only thing I'd be guilty of is hiring the people that covered this horrible situation.
With all due respect, the NHL is a big deal and it just so happens that one of it's most successful franchise of the last 15 years was burying some very powerful information, damning information that was going on behind closed doors because they didn't want anything to interrupt their run of success and in the meantime, the victim had to carry it and probably faced ridicule from his peers privately.

At the very least, the Hawks should be stripped of their share of the expansion money from Seattle and the NHL could use the money to set up a trust for other potential victims of sexual and other forms of abuse that have potentially gone on and haven't been talked about. If this was done, I am willing to bet that there would be quite a few people coming forward but the question is, do they want that?

Reactions: BLONG7

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
With all due respect, the NHL is a big deal and it just so happens that one of it's most successful franchise of the last 15 years was burying some very powerful information, damning information that was going on behind closed doors because they didn't want anything to interrupt their run of success and in the meantime, the victim had to carry it and probably faced ridicule from his peers privately.

At the very least, the Hawks should be stripped of their share of the expansion money from Seattle and the NHL could use the money to set up a trust for other potential victims of sexual and other forms of abuse that have potentially gone on and haven't been talked about. If this was done, I am willing to bet that there would be quite a few people coming forward but the question is, do they want that?

Are you trying to say that I'm not a big deal? ;)

I understand what you're saying. Since you're including the entire franchise. Why wasn't the Hawks ownership group brought up in this final report? The decision(s) to keep things quiet were made by the people that were listed in the report. Personally I feel if the ownership did not know of the horrific circumstances. I don't believe they should be penalized. Or if they are, not to the degree (100 million) that you listed in your previous post.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Are you trying to say that I'm not a big deal? ;)

I understand what you're saying. Since you're including the entire franchise. Why wasn't the Hawks ownership group brought up in this final report? The decision(s) to keep things quiet were made by the people that were listed in the report. Personally I feel if the ownership did not know of the horrific circumstances. I don't believe they should be penalized. Or if they are, not to the degree (100 million) that you listed in your previous post.
Think about how the league works, the owners are all partners with the league, there are massive dollars that connect them, it is much easier to cancel a few individuals than it is to come down hard on the Wirtz family, big business is always protected. I might be wrong but it is what I have always seen. I think that you are a big deal, 100 employees, damn dude, send me some money!

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Think about how the league works, the owners are all partners with the league, there are massive dollars that connect them, it is much easier to cancel a few individuals than it is to come down hard on the Wirtz family, big business is always protected. I might be wrong but it is what I have always seen. I think that you are a big deal, 100 employees, damn dude, send me some money!

We're definitely on the same page. The owners are a huge group that does stick together to protect their own. In this situation though. It seems like the Wirtz family was fined due to being guilty by association.

I believe that owners of huge corporations or smaller companies like mine, should be held responsible (to a degree) for the actions of their employees. Which is why I don't have an issue with the 2 mil fine that was imposed on the Wirtz family. Hitting the franchise any harder than that, when there is no proof they had knowledge of the situation. May be a little harsh in my opinion.

Haha between Covid and my wife and kid. I may have to whore myself out on the street corner soon. :)

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Chevy don't deserve to be canned. It seems that he didn't played a big part of it.

He needs to apologize to Beach and make a statement

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I just read the complete report. What is clear to me is that given they were in SCF and that what they were hearing were allegations, it was not surprising the big heads of the organisation did not do much during that time. I still find absolutely disgusting they did not at least separate Aldrich from the players, given that it was at least obvious that he was for certain involved in inapropriate behaviors with the Black Ace players.

BTW, we all talk about MB and his knowledge of the events, but anyone asked Stephane Waite yet? He was there too as a coach, there is even a picture of him with Aldrich and the Stanley Cup.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Another sexual assault story that was covered up, this time involving Bill Guerin when he was Assistant GM in Pittsburgh and served as the GM of their AHL affiliate in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
No effing self control. Why is it so hard for some people? I don't get it. Sad state of human life.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I am not defending Aldrich at all, but he is a sick individual. This is nothing about self control but more about control of others. Clearly impulsive, cold-hearted and abuses people from a position of power.

He's a piece of shit.

This is the most important thing here. Some people here, and even the brass of the organisation , were questionnning how a 200 pounds athlete could be in such a situation with a smaller guy..... well if you are being told repeatedly by that POS that your career depends of what he going to say to the coach, that he has a direct line of commuinication towards if he is gonna play or not, etc.... then you are under his control. Especially at 20 years old.

This is the same old story that happens to women actresses all over the world, or writers, etc

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Another sexual assault story that was covered up, this time involving Bill Guerin when he was Assistant GM in Pittsburgh and served as the GM of their AHL affiliate in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

Penguins face suit over ex minors coach accused of assault

this situation, along with the situation in chicago, are a pretty big black eye for the NHL.

what do ya'll think?

Me: What married man would sit in front with a taxi driver and allow his young pretty wife to sit in the back seat with another man (Donatelli) who groped her?

Reactions: Kimota

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Penguins face suit over ex minors coach accused of assault

this situation, along with the situation in chicago, are a pretty big black eye for the NHL.

what do ya'll think?

Me: What married man would sit in front with a taxi driver and allow his young pretty wife to sit in the back seat with another man (Donatelli) who groped her?
Should Gary Bettman meet with Wild GM Bill Geurin and insist that he resigns??

It should be noted that Geurin is the assistant GM of the USA Olympic Hockey Team whose GM used to be Stan Bowman.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
You know from a coach's perspective I could understand the idea of not wanting to jeopardize a good run.

At same time from a human perspective it is absolutely laughable to do nothing.

All this is significantly magnified by that fact. If they began an investigation and it ended after the success of the team and Aldrich was found guilty thats one thing. They didn't want it as a distraction and to top it off they swept it under the rug afterwards too.

It's really baffling.
not baffling if you understand the dinosaur mind(s) of these coaches/. I can't wait for the NHL to rid themselves of these "old guys" and go with young, creative coaches along with highly intelligent GMs (not ex players). Look no further than the glorieux CH to see how toxic the old boys club is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad