Bottom 10? Edit: 6th worst, trending down, season over

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Funny thing is, our PP is now ranked 10th overall at 21.4%
34.8% in November, for 2nd overall for the month.

Our PP isn't really a problem anymore.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
PP shooting percentage is up to #16 in the NHL now... which is the league median so indeed they seem to be figuring it out to some degree on the PP.

At evens they still have the 3rd worst shooting percentage in the league though which is sinking the team because team save percentage at evens is up to #15 in the NHL.. pretty much average.

Corsi/shots/scoring chances stats have all been remarkably consistent since the seasons started... top 3 in the NHL all along which is actually encouraging as it leaves room for the team to turn this season around but obviously the scoreboard is where it really counts and until they connect and finish on those shots and chances... they'll continue to lose.

At the risk of being called too optimistic :) .... I think I do see gradual underlying improvement in some areas on this team except for actually finishing their chances which remains weak which obviously will be fatal to the chance of having a successful season if that continues.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Bottom four 20 games into the season.

Zero chance of being in a playoff spot on American Thanksgiving. At least they have won consecutive games once this year.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

Zero chance of being in a playoff spot on American Thanksgiving. At least they have won consecutive games once this year.

on the bright side, for anyone who doesn't like me, the oilers play is a godsend.
I went through 10 years of this crap already. I'm not up for having to do this again.
doubt I'll be around much anymore.

cheers.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The offense is garbage, but really it's the finishing that's garbage. We're still opening up space and getting opportunities to score. But then we shoot it into their damn chest pad or miss the net. I'd love to see if firing Woodcroft might have some benefit though.
But you've just defined the difference between having an Eberle vs say a Cagg on the PP. One guy is going to hit for an average of 27goals in a season. The other has an average around 7.

Its of course who you have taking those shots that makes a difference, Caggs two recent outlier goals notwithstanding.

As I've outlined several times just far less goals in this lineup. That has caught up to them. Suddenly outside of 5-6 players we are not a talented team. Outside of that its hoping for miracles and guys like Zach to finish on yet another breakaway. Its somewhat reminiscent of what the Oilers had around 93 and 94 when you would just blind hope that the most unlikely of NHL players would somehow learn to score.

Now this actually occurred around 94. An Oiler, Shaun Van Allen gets his melon bashed on the boards after a dirty check. Somebody says he could be concussed, he's a bit wobbly and that he was out of it, he was failing the "whats your name'' test... Terrible Teddy Green(assistant coach) actually stated; "Good then, somebody tell him he's Wayne Gretzky"

People laughed at the time. Those were dark times.

Tell Him He's Wayne Gretzky | www.splicetoday.com

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I think these multimillion dollar players should get Participation ribbons just like we did in Elementary school. That's about all they are winning.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015

They will not make the playoffs - it is just a fairy tale to think so at this point. They have nothing to work with this year.

There is no way Chirelli can still be here next year after this colossal failure.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
But you've just defined the difference between having an Eberle vs say a Cagg on the PP. One guy is going to hit for an average of 27goals in a season. The other has an average around 7.

Its of course who you have taking those shots that makes a difference, Caggs two recent outlier goals notwithstanding.

Absolutely, I didn't mean to imply that just any player can score goals, or that it was an easy thing to do. Scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in the game, and that's primarily why dumping Eberle for Strome before we had to was so stupid. I just meant to say that at least in terms of on-ice play I don't feel like I'm watching a team doing everything wrong in the offensive zone. There are multiple times, every game, when I am seeing good offensive chances being set up only to be totally flubbed. I think that speaks to decent coaching/the talent of our few good offensive players.

The anecdote about Van Allen is a pretty stark reminder about how times have changed. Can you imagine if that kind of joke got out now regarding a concussion? It'd be a huge controversy.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
9 games this year the opposing team has doubled our goal total or more. Only 3 were 2 - 1
In 7 of the games so far we were blown out. These being games that featured 3 or more goal leads. Games that weren't even close. Afairc 6 of these debacles have occurred at home.

Also, the only difference between the Jets home game (third game of season) and the Dallas game is the location. Nothing else was different. In both of those we got behind the 8 ball early, gave up goals, played indifferently and watched the opponent pile on the goals in earning the result.

The Oilers haven't learned a thing about managing results. They either luck out a win in extra time or on the few occasions win a game going away against a poor opponent performance.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Absolutely, I didn't mean to imply that just any player can score goals, or that it was an easy thing to do. Scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in the game, and that's primarily why dumping Eberle for Strome before we had to was so stupid. I just meant to say that at least in terms of on-ice play I don't feel like I'm watching a team doing everything wrong in the offensive zone. There are multiple times, every game, when I am seeing good offensive chances being set up only to be totally flubbed. I think that speaks to decent coaching/the talent of our few good offensive players.

The anecdote about Van Allen is a pretty stark reminder about how times have changed. Can you imagine if that kind of joke got out now regarding a concussion? It'd be a huge controversy.

Yep, man its hard to be an Edmonton sports fan right now. We got Maas gripping the steering wheel into the ditch at the helm of one club and Chia talent fire sale in the other. We can't win.

In the words of the immortal Harry Neale (canucks coach afiarc at the time) "We can't win at home, and we can't win on the road and we haven't discovered another place to play"

heh, that guy was a card. He was classic back in the WHA as well. One of the real characters in the game. Teddy green was too but he had his brain scrambled in the horrific stick swing incident with Maki way back in the 60's. In possible defence of Green he was someone who gave his health away to the game. He sure wasn't immune to its effects as he had worse. Doesn't absolve the joke but different times, and like I say really dark. Around 93, 94 there was nothing to do regarding the Edmonton Oilers but laugh. They were that bad. We would have guys like Joe Michelletti on the PP. We had role players throughout topsix. I think our captain was Shayne Corson. Dark times.

Reactions: Aerrol

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
They will not make the playoffs - it is just a fairy tale to think so at this point. They have nothing to work with this year.

There is no way Chirelli can still be here next year after this colossal failure.

Common sense would dictate that Chia would be fired in the off-season. But common sense would have dictated that Chia wouldn't have made the colossal mistakes that he made in the past 2 off-seasons either. I'm pretty sure Chia will still be here next year, which is more sad than how bad the Oilers have been this season, asit all but guarantees that we will be just as bad next season.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Common sense would dictate that Chia would be fired in the off-season. But common sense would have dictated that Chia wouldn't have made the colossal mistakes that he made in the past 2 off-seasons either. I'm pretty sure Chia will still be here next year, which is more sad than how bad the Oilers have been this season, asit all but guarantees that we will be just as bad next season.
no it doesn't
he will get a chance to fix this roster in the summer...Nicholson preaches stability

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
The gaffes that Talbot has made this year are frankly baffling. Just stupid unnecessary goals for no good reason that put the team behind. Behind just the goals for vs against aspect, it kills the team's trust in him, makes them play tight and ultimately worse.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

I think you’ll be disappointed. I don’t see any scenario where Chiarelli isn’t here next season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think you’ll be disappointed. I don’t see any scenario where Chiarelli isn’t here next season.

Depends, we are just conditioned to think everything will operate the way it did in the past, with failure given a repeated pass, but things are considerably different today.

We really don't know how Bob Nicholson deals with failure. I think Hockey Canada shook things up pretty hard after 2006 in Turin which was a failure.

Chiarelli is not Katz' buddy like Lowe and Mac T.

The arena is already built too, so that isn't something that shields the GM anymore, in the past Katz was content with tanking seasons because he had a bigger fish to fry in getting the arena done.

The McDavid factor puts much more pressure on this franchise.

Having playoff revene from last year was also likely very lucrative with sky high ticket prices and corporate boxes ... once teams get a taste of that money, missing the playoffs becomes a lot harder to swallow as well.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
I was full on wrong. I really thought that with all the numbers going their way that it was just a funk.

Mea culpa. This team is completely lost right now.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I was full on wrong. I really thought that with all the numbers going their way that it was just a funk.

Mea culpa. This team is completely lost right now.

It may not be that you are entirely wrong. It may well be that you just miscalculated when the team starts to improve,

I predicted a regression before the season. I never in a million years thought that the regression was going to be this severe.
The magnitude of this is shocking...anybody that says they knew this was going to happen is lying.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
exactly
even the most pessimistic fans thought this team would be at least battling for a Wildcard spot, not in the bottom 5

This is true. I thought we'd be a bubble team, somewhere around 6th-10th, and I'm generally one of the more pessimistic people on this board.

The Oilers are on pace for a 62 point season, which would tie the worst record in Oilers HISTORY (since the 3 point game). Even accounting for the entire teams history, only 1 team (the 92-93 team) had a lower point total with 60 points. This is currently the worst team in Oilers HISTORY. Seriously, say that to yourself a few times, let that hard, cold, truth sink in for a bit, and then ask yourself if you still support McLellan or Chia.

Worst team in Oilers history.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Drivesaitl, what did you do with all your spare time when you weren't posting in here last season? My god man, you post a lot.

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Bottom 2 or bottom 3 might be as likely as bottom 12 at this point. This team is very close to being the worst oilers team in history. Stop and think about that

If I'm losing the avatar bet then I hope that we at least get a stud defenseman at the draft out of it. If we get destroyed by Detroit tomorrow (likely) I assume that there will be changes made whether it's coaching or trades. If not, things could get even uglier than they are now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad