Bottom 10? Edit: 6th worst, trending down, season over

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
I tried to be positive but without Talbot and Larsson, this team is done. Oh well the playofs were fun for one year.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I would love to be able to find the statistics on the average "Time of Game Losing Goal" by NHL team.

This team always seems to be able to lose games in the last couple minutes while hardly ever winning them in that manner.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
the crappy thing is that sometimes a good team will have a slump, and that a slump can last a whole season. So that is on the table for us.

I still have hope that we can find our way sooner rather than later, and we aren't out of it yet. It's getting hard to imagine though, because I have a hard time believing that Sekera was that extremely important, especially considering that Nurse has been picking up a lot of that slack anyway.

ScrillaVilla

Sep 22, 2008
Edmonton
f*** it's hard to believe we are basically entering into out tank Arizona and Buffalo mode already. Its like Steve tambellini is going all wizard of Oz.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Make or break it month, how many wins are you guys expecting? What do we need to stay in the race? I had the next 4 marked out as wins but now with Talbot out...

SatDec 28:00 PM@ Flames
WedDec 67:30 PMvs Flyers
SatDec 95:00 PM@ Canadiens
SunDec 105:00 PM@ Maple Leafs
TueDec 125:00 PM@ Blue Jackets
ThuDec 147:00 PMvs Predators
SatDec 1612:00 PM@ Wild
MonDec 187:00 PMvs Sharks
ThuDec 217:00 PMvs Blues
SatDec 235:00 PMvs Canadiens
WedDec 276:00 PM@ Jets
FriDec 297:00 PMvs Blackhawks
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

ScrillaVilla

Sep 22, 2008
Edmonton
Make or break it month, how many wins are you guys expecting? What do we need to stay in the race?

SatDec 28:00 PM@ Flames
WedDec 67:30 PMvs Flyers
SatDec 95:00 PM@ Canadiens
SunDec 105:00 PM@ Maple Leafs
TueDec 125:00 PM@ Blue Jackets
ThuDec 147:00 PMvs Predators
SatDec 1612:00 PM@ Wild
MonDec 187:00 PMvs Sharks
ThuDec 217:00 PMvs Blues
SatDec 235:00 PMvs Canadiens
WedDec 276:00 PM@ Jets
FriDec 297:00 PMvs Blackhawks
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Dude give it up, although not statistically over we've seen enough from this group to get a read. Stick a fork in em.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
After brushing off the disappointment of yesterdays loss one thing has become perfectly clear. Regardless of the reasons this team is at the bottom of the standings right now we have seen how this team can play when they're on their game. They can legitimately beat any team. They have grossly under-performed to this point and that is the worse part of it.

Chiarelli deserves tons of blame, but not for this season in particular considering this is a very similar team that almost made it to the Western final. He deserves blame for making stupid decisions that have cost us numerous assets now and in the future. The fact that he gave away basically TWO first round picks with the stupid Reinhart trade is just so baffling, did anyone think this was a good idea? He shipped out Pouliot to retain cap space we never used. Just moronic. And now picking up some useless 4th line Aussie nobody that we need to play and cant send down because we picked him up off of waivers.

The coaching staff also deserves tons of blame, the fact that the PP and PK haven't adjusted despite being awful for a third of the season is completely inexcusable. The same stupid strategy is predictable and not working.

And lastly the players, who have finally started to play like they should be, but now just happens to be the same time we have 3 of out top players out of the line up. If they played like this early, we would have 7-8 more points and be able to weather these injuries for the next couple of weeks. Now we need a miracle to even have a slight chance of staying in the race.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
December is a really difficult schedule for this club. Mostly good, and a few very good clubs in there. Teams like the Blue Jackets, Blues, Sharks, Jets, Preds just in a different class than us this season. About the easiest on there is the two games against the Habs and they are looking better lately. The way this club is playing if they did .500 through this segment it would be surprising.

My guess is we'll be about 5-6 games under Bettman .500 by NYE and thanks to a couple Bettman pts. So something like 4-6-2 through this stretch. We've struggled against clubs far worse than these.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
After brushing off the disappointment of yesterdays loss one thing has become perfectly clear. Regardless of the reasons this team is at the bottom of the standings right now we have seen how this team can play when they're on their game. They can legitimately beat any team. They have grossly under-performed to this point and that is the worse part of it.

Well, its a nice thought but it just isn't accurate. The last time we beat a good opponent in regulation time was November 3. A month ago. Since then we have managed wins against the likes of LF, (with a 4th string goalie), Detroit, in a rematch against a club that didn't get up for the game after waxing us in the previous matchup, and we got by Boston who were playing without Backes and Marchand. We did edge Yotes barely and got a couple OTW in the month.

So we got a grand total of 2 regulation time Wins and a couple OT squeakers against pretty normal clubs. We face around 8/12 teams this month that are better than that.

When you say that the team has showed they can legitimately beat any team they haven't beaten one of the best clubs in the league once all season.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
We need to win 9-10 out of our 13 games to have a decent chance at playoffs. If there was a time for Connor and Drai to take over games, it would be now.

ScrillaVilla

Sep 22, 2008
Edmonton

Chiarelli deserves tons of blame, but not for this season in particular considering this is a very similar team that almost made it to the Western final. He deserves blame for making stupid decisions that have cost us numerous assets now and in the future. The fact that he gave away basically TWO first round picks with the stupid Reinhart trade is just so baffling, did anyone think this was a good idea? He shipped out Pouliot to retain cap space we never used. Just moronic. And now picking up some useless 4th line Aussie nobody that we need to play and cant send down because we picked him up off of waivers.

The coaching staff also deserves tons of blame, the fact that the PP and PK haven't adjusted despite being awful for a third of the season is completely inexcusable. The same stupid strategy is predictable and not working.

And lastly the players, who have finally started to play like they should be, but now just happens to be the same time we have 3 of out top players out of the line up. If they played like this early, we would have 7-8 more points and be able to weather these injuries for the next couple of weeks. Now we need a miracle to even have a slight chance of staying in the race.

He deserves all the blame. In most lines of work you'd be on the hot seat for signing that Russell contract. It's that big of a mistake. But to basically give away two of the best wingers in the game for one average and one replacement level player is just egregious. Not to mention the defence is still terrible. If your offloading that level of player, the d better be fixed.

This team basically has to find the equivalent of hall and eberle plus a top pair defender before they are ready to compete again. That's like a 5 year plan. McDavid probably asks for a trade before then.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Well, its a nice thought but it just isn't accurate. The last time we beat a good opponent in regulation time was November 3. A month ago. Since then we have managed wins against the likes of LF, (with a 4th string goalie), Detroit, in a rematch against a club that didn't get up for the game after waxing us in the previous matchup, and we got by Boston who were playing without Backes and Marchand. We did edge Yotes barely and got a couple OTW in the month.

So we got a grand total of 2 regulation time Wins and a couple OT squeakers against pretty normal clubs. We face around 8/12 teams this month that are better than that.

When you say that the team has showed they can legitimately beat any team they haven't beaten one of the best clubs in the league once all season.

I think this is the reality of the situation.

The Oilers are capable of playing 20-40 minutes of good hockey that can compete with any team in the league. They can't do it for 60 minutes. And most nights you see 5 minutes of it.

Combine that with what may be the worst combined special teams in the history of the sport.

Oct 15, 2008
Still on pace for the 2nd worst season in modern-Oilers history after losing to what was likely considered the 2nd worst team in the league. I would make a VERY strong argument that we are the 2nd worst team in the league, and that we might in fact be the worst team.
sherlock-you-are-a-genius.jpg

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
They have certainly turned things around. Still not entirely convinced that they finish better than bottom 10, but it certainly is trending that way.

As I've said numerous times, I'll be happy to be wrong

Mcwinner

Jul 9, 2015
They have certainly turned things around. Still not entirely convinced that they finish better than bottom 10, but it certainly is trending that way.

As I've said numerous times, I'll be happy to be wrong

They have turned things around. But I’m convinced we will finish 3rd in the division. I’ll be happy when you are wrong too.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Assuming good health to the team we should be easily out of the bottom 10 by seasons end. That said there have been far too many scares to the contrary for my liking this season.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
If Klefbom's back shortly, then I really like where this team's heading.

A goalie that's rediscovered his form, a defence that's solid from the 1st pairing through the 3rd, and 3 centres all capable driving their line and a game-breaking plays.

That sounds like a recipe for some streaking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad