Bottom 10? Edit: 6th worst, trending down, season over

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Yeah, that is a 101 point pace for a full season. Not going to happen. Not a chance. Not even the smallest inkling of a chance. We have a much, MUCH, better chance of finishing in the bottom-5, and a lottery pick, than we do making the playoffs.

oh just give it up ,the standing are so tight we might have a chance .

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, that is a 101 point pace for a full season. Not going to happen. Not a chance. Not even the smallest inkling of a chance. We have a much, MUCH, better chance of finishing in the bottom-5, and a lottery pick, than we do making the playoffs.
I think bottom 5 and playoffs are about an equal chance. I think we finish 17-22 range.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
We currently have a 11%chance to make playoffs. I'd say we have a 11% chance to stay this bad too.

It really is a coin toss at this point. I personally think they'll figure it out and pull their heads out from where the sun don't shine and make the playoffs, but they have to do it soon. The other possibility is they keep bumbling along and stay right where they are.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
One area that has turned around for the team is save percentage. They are 15th overall in all situations now and 9th best at even strength. Goals against/60 is also 16th overall... so essentially at the median in the NHL.

That tells me that the goaltending/defense has tightened up from where it was at the start of the year.

Unfortunately the shooting percentage is still painfully low... dead last at evens and 2nd worst in all situations. They are also 3rd worst in goals/60 so it's still the offense that needs a kick in the ass to get it going.

I liked how the D activated and went for it in the Vegas game. The 6 Oilers dmen accounted for 24 of 53 total corsi events in that game which is almost half from the D.

That's the key imo... utilizing the D to activate, jump up and really drive offense. Obviously that's easier against an expansion club like Vegas with a 4th/5th string goalie BUT they have to find a way to do that in more games and the forwards will benefit as well.

They don't have enough forwards who can finish obviously which is why they need to create more from the D... get other teams on their heels and force them to back in more when the Oilers D presses which open up lanes and gives the forwards better chances at rebounds/deflections etc.

Auvitu should be in most games... he's much more dynamic than Gryba offensively. When Sekera is back that element is there in his game as well as he's a better puck mover than most of the Oilers D.

Benning/Russell/Larrson have to push harder for offense as well. Nurse has been good and improving. Klefbom... well he's been pretty chaotic and you never know what type of night you'll get from him. He's so poor defensively that some nights he'd be better off playing a safer game rather than pressing for offense but other nights he's good with creating chances and offensive pressure without too many defensive lapses... those are the nights he's a positive asset, but those aren't that common either.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So with todays loss we are almost at the 3 game losing stream I predicted (and was made fun of for). A loss on Tuesday against the Blues, brings us to 5 games under .500.

Here are some lovely stats:
- 3rd last in the league
- on pace for a 66 point season, since the 1999-00 season, when 3 point games were introduced, only 23 teams have had worst seasons than 66 points
- a 66 point season would be the 4th worst season in oilers history

Anybody still unsure that we are going to finish in the bottom-10? My "joke" of us finishing in the bottom-5 is looking more and more likely.

This team is *beyond* putrid. Chia and McLellan should be fired tonight, if not sooner. This cannot continue. Somebody has to be held accountable.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
As usual the oilers are a big bunch of losers and about time the rose colored glasses people admitted it.

They suck and with one of the best players in the world. Sprinkled with bad cap situation.

Fu oilers. Forget indifference. I don't like you anymore.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So with todays loss we are almost at the 3 game losing stream I predicted (and was made fun of for). A loss on Tuesday against the Blues, brings us to 5 games under .500.

Here are some lovely stats:
- 3rd last in the league
- on pace for a 66 point season, since the 1999-00 season, when 3 point games were introduced, only 23 teams have had worst seasons than 66 points
- a 66 point season would be the 4th worst season in oilers history

Anybody still unsure that we are going to finish in the bottom-10? My "joke" of us finishing in the bottom-5 is looking more and more likely.

This team is *beyond* putrid. Chia and McLellan should be fired tonight, if not sooner. This cannot continue. Somebody has to be held accountable.

You're all over the map. Your other big thread here is the one where you are saying the Oilers low scoring can't continue. Do you post threads with polarities so that one will be right?

Its like calling heads and tails and winning..

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Next 2 games are St Louis and Detroit back to back. Looking like my original prediction of only 10 wins by December 1st might come true.

6 games left.
St Louis, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston, Arizona, Toronto

St Louis and Toronto at this point are sure losses. We have a chance in the other 4.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Next 2 games are St Louis and Detroit back to back. Looking like my original prediction of only 10 wins by December 1st might come true.

6 games left.
St Louis, Detroit, Buffalo, Boston, Arizona, Toronto

St Louis and Toronto at this point are sure losses. We have a chance in the other 4.

We're on the same page.
My preseason prediction to the end of Nov was 10-16.
How come nobody is asking us how we knew that when Oilers were being chose as cup favorite?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We're on the same page.
My preseason prediction to the end of Nov was 10-16.
How come nobody is asking us how we knew that when Oilers were being chose as cup favorite?
I said this after I think game 5.

You called it much earlier

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
You're all over the map. Your other big thread here is the one where you are saying the Oilers low scoring can't continue. Do you post threads with polarities so that one will be right?

Its like calling heads and tails and winning..

The low shooting% likely won't continue (its gone up around 1% since that original post), but as I have said in updates to that thread, I don't think the team will improve their shooting% to a league average or anything. We have significantly less skill than an average NHL team, so I don't expect the shooting% to be average either. However, we don't have near historically low skill either, which is where our shooting% was when I made that thread. In my last post in that thread, I think I predicted around a 8% shooting% for the rest of the season, which is less than league average.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

It's still too early for me to throw in the towel and I really hope that the players feel the same way. That said they should've had this season turned around already so with every loss I am getting less and less confident in this team.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
I don't get how Lucic/Strome haven't been healthy scratched yet. Sure it might make us worse for a game, but maybe it'll wake them up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad